TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Crankshaft turning nut

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crankshaft turning nut
    Posted: Jan/10/2014 at 3:34pm
Dose anybody make a crankshaft turning nut the allows you to install the cam degree wheel on it , i know that profrom makes them for sbc, they also make them for Chrysler ,would they be the same dia as a AMC ? .Thanks
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2014 at 3:58pm
The sbc and others are not the same, never seen one for sale. I've made one for that purpose out of an old timing chain crank sprocket, but it was a sort of dumb idea. The steel was hardened and very hard to machine. But eventually it was a very nice piece.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2014 at 7:18pm
Bulltear does. I have the socket that goes over the crankshaft
Dusty View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2014 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Bulltear does. I have the socket that goes over the crankshaft

I was just going to say.
I bought a great big adjustable wrench from HF to turn the nut.
Intense Blue AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intense Blue AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2014 at 11:01pm
Or you could buy the ARP damper bolt for a BBC and some versions have a 1/2 drive built in.

sasyamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2014 at 12:07pm
I might see if we have a broach at work and see if we have some stock laying around to play with .
letank View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2018 at 2:48pm
Has anybody found a Crankshaft Turning Socket? our cranknose is 2".

I need to change cam, 2 lobes are waisted lobe heights for EX .11x and In .13x on #2 (did not bother with more decimals) #1 is a bit better .238 and .251, the others are in the .254. Unknown engine history, 138K on the odo, runs well, with a slight vibration on take off, up to 70 mph without real hesitation, and 25mph on our steep SF hills, could be a other issues.

Bad compression on #2 at 90psi, the others are in the 150psi, spark plug is wet

It is not listed in bulltear anymore

thank you
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2018 at 3:13pm
I think this is the one I use. It measures 1.385 though. It fits my 390 and 401.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by 6t8amxetc 6t8amxetc wrote:

I think this is the one I use. It measures 1.385 though. It fits my 390 and 401.
That's the one we use. Works fine.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2018 at 5:20pm
The Crank Turning Nut I got and used on my AMC 20 some odd years ago was for a Buick, Olds, Pontiac iirc
And then bought a set of HF Mombo Large Combo Wrenches to get the 1-3/4" Wrench to fit the Nut !

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Dec/15/2018 at 5:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic