TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

VIN nember

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italy-sstjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VIN nember
    Posted: Aug/01/2008 at 12:58am
Hi, i'm new in forum
i just bought a 360 engine 1970 sst amc javelin (I think it will be tho only one in italy)

I've some question about vehicle/engine identification numbers:

- Vin number is only indicated on the little tag behind windscreen on driver side or I can find it on other places?
- which means numbers indicated on the door tag?
- where i can find engine number and displacement on engine? I thought the number was in a plate on right bank (but i didn't found it) and the displacement between 2nd and 3rd spark (too hard to read it without disassembling headers). Is it possible know precisely where i can find them, maybe with some pic?
- normally engine number is same of body number, if engine have never been changed?

thanks a lot

72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2008 at 6:59am
A partial VIN number can be located on the frame rail behind the steering gearbox. It will be the last 7 digits of the VIN, which includes the engine code and the six digit sequential serial number.
The door tag has the interior trim and paint code colors, as well as a number identifying the year and body style (i.e. 1970 Javelin SST 2-dr hardtop). There is a body number and a final assembly number, which indicates which assembly line the car was produced on (i.e. the "East" or "West" assembly line at Kenosha.
The engine displacement is cast into the side of the engine block on BOTH sides of the engine, typically just behind the engine mount bracket. You can probably get beneath the car and shine a light up behind the bracket to see the numbers--they're rather large.
AMCs are not matching-number cars in most cases. AMC didn't stamp the engines with the VIN number unless required to do so by a localized law.

Hope this helps!
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2008 at 7:12am
Even with headers, one should be able to get under the car and find the size cast into the block. IT is large numbers, raised, pretty clearly defined.
No, like Jeff said, AMC didn't match engine number to chassis.
360 is a good engine and still pretty easy to find parts for, at least around here.
In this photo, you can see the numbers 390 righ about where the motor mount bracket is, just to the left and above the bracket in this photo:
italy-sstjav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italy-sstjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2008 at 8:14am
ok, thans a lot
displacement seems to be easy to find, but I still have problems to find engine number

can you help me?

mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2008 at 5:36pm
If is is a standard Kenosha Built engine, it should have a tag on the front of the passenger side valve cover with a small screw in it with numbers and letters it. AMC did not use engine vin number past 1959. AMC used an engine day build code. Eddie Stakes Planet Houston AMC web site has decoders for the engine day build code and VIN on his web site, I believe . So won't go into the whole deal on how to decode them as it does no good until you find it. Some times the valve covers are put on backward and the tag in drivers side back by the fire wall. The letter of the code usually matches the letter code for the engine in the VIN number on the dash. LRDaum
LRDaum
cali201 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2008 at 7:47pm
[QUOTE=mramc]If is is a standard Kenosha Built engine, it should have a tag on the front of the passenger side valve cover with a small screw in it with numbers and letters it.

Here is a picture of the tag on the valve cover of this 360 engine.  It is the silver plate on the front side of the valve cover.

phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2008 at 6:45pm
i have my original valve cover tag too 110w01

1= 1968
1=october
w= 390 4v
0 october 1st
since i dont have the original door tag when some looks into the engine bay sometime in the future they won't be able to tell it's a 343 without looking at the block stamp.

1972 Javelin
Stiletti View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 3:38pm
Hi Folks!
new to this forum.  I have a 68 AMX with a the 390 and the manual 4 speed.  The VIN says it should be the 343 4V with the 3 speed auto but the V* manual sticker is on the firewall and the car sports the 390 V8 badge.  Was there any known discrepancies in AMC's numbering?
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Stiletti Stiletti wrote:

Hi Folks!
new to this forum.  I have a 68 AMX with a the 390 and the manual 4 speed.  The VIN says it should be the 343 4V with the 3 speed auto but the V* manual sticker is on the firewall and the car sports the 390 V8 badge.  Was there any known discrepancies in AMC's numbering?

Because VINs are a Federally regulated thing, no, AMC (nor any mfg) was allowed 'discrepancies'. You've got a 50 year old muscle car, and engine/drivetrain swaps were the norm for decades.  That your car doesn't have the engine/transmission combo the VIN says it should have shouldn't be a cause for alarm, unless you paid a lot of money for the car. ;) 

There's lots of sources here on the Forum who can give you better 'exact' info about what your car might have been than I can, but overall, the AMX and Javelin were easy to swap different drivetrains in and out of, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if yours have been changed out at least once in it's lifetime.

73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic