TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Project - B5 SC/360 Hornet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 30>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildman7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 1:38pm
I really like these S/C 360s, since they are quite rare. I'm gad you have chosen to keep it all original. That's what should be done with all of the rare AMCs. I have seen two in person at two different car shows. I will probably make that my next AMC, when I get my first one in running condition and can finish it up.
69 SCRambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 SCRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 10:53am
Yes, you just don't see these beauties around much anymore. Thanks for preserving this one.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 9:26am
Well the secret it out now!

After last year's MCACN show, Rich and I discussed cars for this year, and we thought a few surprises would be good. I told him I thought I could get my car done if my painter could get in early in 2019. As luck would have it, he did have a window to do it. I was able to complete the car quickly thanks to all the work i've done leading up to this show. All the suspension was done, the engine, the rear end, the interior... it was all a matter of assembly. Every bolt had been replated already (well almost every one!) so when I wanted to install something it was all there for me.

I tried to take many photos and document the process this year, but since a lot of work took place in a short amount of time (car back from paint in April and completed in September), there are surely some gaps in the coverage! I will try to give some highlights here.

It wasn't' easy keeping this a secret, either. I'd say around a dozen people knew about the secret, and I even hauled the car offsite in June when we had a Hoosier AMC Club meeting at my house.
AMO Newsletter Editor
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 9:35am
March 1, 2019 we pulled the car out of storage and sent it to the paint shop.

While at paint I dropped the sway bar off to be hot phosphated, and had the NOS rims blasted and powder coated. Since SC/360s don't have trim rings on the 8-slot rims, I used NOS rims so there were no trim ring clip gouges.

I used my wife's Cricut machine to make masks for the black, and then had them mounted up on the NOS D70 tires and installed the NOS volcano centers.

AMO Newsletter Editor
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 9:38am
I picked the car up from the shop on April 16 and cleaned all the compound out.

The first task I did was make reproduction cowl insulation using the orignal as a template.

AMO Newsletter Editor
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 11:52am
In May I had my paint correction guy come over to fine tune the paint. I was also putting some parts on at this time so it was starting to look more like a car.

Then rolled it outside to see it in the sun!

Then the dashboard went in, along with some underhood items.

Upper and lower control arms are NOS with new ball joints riveted in. They were cleaned with evaporust and coated with ECS' RPM. Same treatment for the orignal driveshaft.

Around this time I got my new speedo cable back. I sent the orignal out to be duplicated with a correct AMARK firewall seal, and reproduced the part number tag from my orignal cable.

AMO Newsletter Editor
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 12:19pm
June was a busy month so i'll split it up into a few posts.

I started exterior assembly

A reproduction date sticker was used, and the original door tag cleaned up and installed with new rosette rivets.

The trunk was painted with zolatone and put together. A cool find was a pair of NOS rubber trunk plugs. The trunk seal is also NOS, which is rare part as Hornets have a special seal that isn't reproduced correctly.

The REM package shelf had to be slightly modified, as well as lined with FatMat and new insulation added.

Rechromed interior pieces installed, along with FatMat on the floor and roof.

NOS door glass was installed, along with the NOS side scuff moldings.

Edited by kirkwood - Nov/27/2019 at 12:22pm
AMO Newsletter Editor
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 1:29pm
Ian, I haven't seen you since you lost weight, grew your hair and a scraggly beard, got the left arm tatted up, and started wearing a do rag. Looks like you can still handle a buffer though.

Edited by Sonic Silver - Nov/27/2019 at 1:31pm
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 1:40pm
I think it is just the angle the photo was taken.
AMO Newsletter Editor
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 1:47pm
Second part of June - moved the car offsite for our Hoosier AMC Club meeting, and to use my dad's lift to install the engine.

This photo you can see the brown dip primer underside somewhat - the maroon is very close to the same color so on the underside it can be difficult to see the difference.

NOS spring bushings with part number!

And one of my helper!

AMO Newsletter Editor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 30>
  Share Topic