TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine doesn't like high octane fuel?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2013 at 10:57pm
What I have discovered: High octane and higher altitude = zero help and worse running. With my 4 cyl '86 Comanche with TBI, power changes were very noticeable, so when I went to Ouray, CO in '02 I thought I'd put a tank of premium in (I found one place with race gas before I turned onto the highway to Ouray)
   My power dropped like a rock. My "modern" engine had a knock sensor controlling timing, but the timing never advanced far enough for it to work right and it starved for power after that (before I was running 85 octane and it LOVED it. I was running a gross weight of 6,000lbs I couldn't haul up a hill after the high octane)
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2013 at 2:19am
I'd like to ask a question. With the HIGH price for gasoline these days WHY would you want to use 91 when your engine is quite content and happy with 87 ?? I'm sure there are a lot of forum members who HAVE to use 91 that would love to be in your situation. I guess you were going for better performance but is it worth the price at the pump?
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2013 at 10:00am
I run "premium" in 8:1 mills. Since the price has gone up, I have cheaped out and ran "regular" more.

I won't run plus cause there's only a regular tank and a premium tank in the ground and it mixes at the pump. So if that mixer goes bad, it does not error in your favor. You pay and extra 10 cents per gallon for regular.

Premium is not only higher octane, but has the additives in it. Running premium you don't have to use "puke-us" from Autozone or what not to keep the crud out of your system.

Plus I do run more timing and like the extra safety if I'm running it hard. Sometimes the low grade can be lower than 87 octane. It's doesn't matter what's written on the pump. The 93 I'm buying could only be 91, but it's a lot safer than 85.

That's my view on it. Spend a few cents now, or spend a bunch of dollars later.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2013 at 3:39pm
It takes a lot to make this engine ping on regular 87. As in, low altitude desert at over 100 degrees with no humidity what so ever, lean jetting, and the timing advanced more than 20* past the factory setting. The carburetor compensates the mixture automatically for altitude and the timing never needs to be messed with because of that, so I drive this thing anywhere from sea level to 10,000 feet and the tune always stays crisp.

10:1 compression AMC 327's are a different story. The highest octane in Arizona is 91, and that is barely enough for sea level 110 degree deserts at 0% humidity. You have to really watch the carb jetting and timing.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2013 at 10:57am
It is not as bad as it appears at face value. We build a lot of engines and just have to pay attention to details like deck above the top fo the pistons, piston face design and metal composition, cam profile, carb size and jetting and of course the timing.  Also a well tuned engine makes a huge difference in preventing pinging.   Lots of carbon build up from old plugs, cap and wire and you are asking for trouble. Keep everything fresh and within spec and the 91 Octane is not as much of an issue.  That is one of the reasons I like electronic ignition so much.  Set it up and it stays the same basically forever.  

In the old days, the higher octane fuels masked a lot of tuning issues.  Today if an engine is even slightly out of tune it will noticeably and adversly affect the way the engine runs and responds to whatever fuel grade you are using.  Modern engines have all sorts of sensor and a computer and are self adjusting to compensate for different grades of fuel, altitude, air temp, age of spark plugs, ignition parts and plug wires and even how dirty the air filter is. Our old cars rely upon us to make changes to compensate for all those things so yes they are much more sensitive to what fuel you run and the environment that you run it in.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2013 at 11:05am
Ethenol isnt helping either. For every 10 gallons you put in your tank there is a gallon of alcohol.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2013 at 2:56pm
TEL (lead) was used as an octane booster at first. Lead was phased-out and eventually outlawed for it's toxicity and replaced with other octane improvers like MMT, toluene, and isooctane to create the original unleaded gasoline.

In 1979, some metropolitan areas were required to begin the use of oxygenated gasoline to reduce emissions. MTBE was used until 2006 and not only oxygenates the fuel, but also boosts octane, replacing the old octane boosters seen above. The majority of the country retained the original unleaded formulation above.

MTBE was outlawed in 2006 and replaced with ethanol, because ethanol directly substitutes as an oxygenate and octane booster. Metropolitan gasoline is required to have 5-10% ethanol depending on the time of year to meet the required oxygen content. Rural gasoline is not required to be oxygenated, therefore not requiring ethanol. Many state governments and businesses, however, choose to market oxygenated, and therefore ethanol, gas anyway.

In rural areas, non-oxygenated (and therefore non-ethanol) gasoline is available at some gas stations. This gas still follows the original unleaded formula that dates back to the early 1970's.
--------------------
I've personally never had problems running ethanol fuel in my old cars, and I'd think after 4 years I would have noticed something. All the gaskets, seals, diaphragms, and floats are taking it just fine, but the rubber fuel lines do soften up a bit. However, I think that is to be expected with just about any kind of volatile fuel.

The only time I've tried non-ethanol fuel was in my original post, and my engine hated it, presumably because it was Premium 91. There is a Casey's general store here in town that sells Regular 87 non-ethanol that I will have to try.

For all the Midwestern folks out there, it looks like all the Regular 87 at Casey's stores is non-ethanol.

Edited by FSJunkie - Dec/05/2013 at 4:52pm
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2013 at 8:04pm
  • Alaska: all gasoline is ethanol-free.
  • New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI: all premium grade gasoline is ethanol-free.
  • British Columbia: Chevron 94.
  • Ontario: Shell V-Power 91; Costco 91; Canadian Tire 91; Esso 91; Ultramar 91.
  • Quebec: Shell V-Power 91; Esso (all grades).
RSS feed

We currently have 7591 stations entered for the following provinces and states. Click on a province or state to see them!

http://pure-gas.org/

71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2013 at 12:29am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

TEL (lead) was used as an octane booster at first. Lead was phased-out and eventually outlawed for it's toxicity and replaced with other octane improvers like MMT, toluene, and isooctane to create the original unleaded gasoline.

In 1979, some metropolitan areas were required to begin the use of oxygenated gasoline to reduce emissions. MTBE was used until 2006 and not only oxygenates the fuel, but also boosts octane, replacing the old octane boosters seen above. The majority of the country retained the original unleaded formulation above.

MTBE was outlawed in 2006 and replaced with ethanol, because ethanol directly substitutes as an oxygenate and octane booster. Metropolitan gasoline is required to have 5-10% ethanol depending on the time of year to meet the required oxygen content. Rural gasoline is not required to be oxygenated, therefore not requiring ethanol. Many state governments and businesses, however, choose to market oxygenated, and therefore ethanol, gas anyway.

In rural areas, non-oxygenated (and therefore non-ethanol) gasoline is available at some gas stations. This gas still follows the original unleaded formula that dates back to the early 1970's.
--------------------
I've personally never had problems running ethanol fuel in my old cars, and I'd think after 4 years I would have noticed something. All the gaskets, seals, diaphragms, and floats are taking it just fine, but the rubber fuel lines do soften up a bit. However, I think that is to be expected with just about any kind of volatile fuel.

The only time I've tried non-ethanol fuel was in my original post, and my engine hated it, presumably because it was Premium 91. There is a Casey's general store here in town that sells Regular 87 non-ethanol that I will have to try.

For all the Midwestern folks out there, it looks like all the Regular 87 at Casey's stores is non-ethanol.

it sound like the 91 octane you got was contaminated..going from 87-91 is so minimal it couldn't be the change in octane causing the engine not to run properly. Its more likely people aren't buying 91+ octane in your area and the gas sits in the station tanks absorbing moisture.
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2013 at 10:07am
Originally posted by toolmanxiii toolmanxiii wrote:

• Alaska: all gasoline is ethanol-free.
  • New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI: all premium grade gasoline is ethanol-free.
  • British Columbia: Chevron 94.
  • Ontario: Shell V-Power 91; Costco 91; Canadian Tire 91; Esso 91; Ultramar 91.
  • Quebec: Shell V-Power 91; Esso (all grades).
RSS feed

We currently have 7591 stations entered for the following provinces and states. Click on a province or state to see them!

http://pure-gas.org/

I just looked and found two locations that are ethanol free, one near my houe and one near the shop.  The one near the shop only sells racing gas so will have to take a look at the other one near my house....very cool and thanks for the tip!
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic