TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Temp and Fuel Gauge don't work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by AMC1320 AMC1320 wrote:

Don't know why the noise suppressor failed, it's just a coil of fine wire, but it would not pass voltage thru it although visually it looked fine

This was on a 69 Ambassador btw

Pretty interesting topic. I will add that the coil is an inductor, which DC voltage see's as 0 ohms. A noise spike sees it as high resistance. So considering voltage drop, the spike voltage gets dropped across the inductor because of it's apparent high resistance and the DC passes though uninterrupted. It sounds like the inductor opened up.
John
70 AMX

tony matthews View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony matthews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2016 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by RebelYell RebelYell wrote:

Took the instrument panel out of the 77 Barcelona today and swapped out the CVR with a new one and the fuel and temp gauge still did not work. I needed to replace a couple burned out bulbs so at least I got something accomplished. Back to checking more wire circuits. I've not yet got a service manual for it but I wonder if the service manual for my 74 Matador would help me out on the wiring diagrams for the 77. Anyone know if there is any difference?
Hi Im in England and i also have a barcelona 360 1978 and guess what My temp works but fuel dose not Im also checking my manuals but its so time taking and well hard....https://www.facebook.com/matthews.3591/videos/10153946669611565/
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony matthews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2016 at 3:45pm
Hi Iv taken my fuel gauge out of my 78 barcelona ,
I noticed a tin oblong looking thing in the middle of the back of the fuel gauge,IT HAS THREE LUGS,ONE IS STAMPED IGNITION THE OTHER TWO HAVE NOTHING STAMPED ON THEM.i KNOW THAT ONE OF THE TWO LUGS NOT THE ONE STAMPED IGNITION GO TO THE GREEN WIRE WHICH I KNOW GOES TO THE SENDER UNIT IN THE TANK,I'M NOT SURE AT THIS TIME WHERE THE THIRD LUG GOES TO OR WHAT COLOUR WIRE IT CONNECTS TO BUT ILL CHECK AGAIN . SO IF I'M RIGHT THE IGNITION SUPPLIES POWER AND THE GREEN WIRE LUG TAKES IT TO OR REGISTERS OHMS RESISTANCE THE THIRD GOD KNOWS... HELP... PLEASE AND TREAT ME KINDLY THANK YOUhttps://www.facebook.com/matthews.3591/videos/10153946669611565/

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony matthews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2016 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by tony matthews tony matthews wrote:

Hi Iv taken my fuel gauge out of my 78 barcelona ,
I noticed a tin oblong looking thing in the middle of the back of the fuel gauge,IT HAS THREE LUGS,ONE IS STAMPED IGNITION THE OTHER TWO HAVE NOTHING STAMPED ON THEM.i KNOW THAT ONE OF THE TWO LUGS NOT THE ONE STAMPED IGNITION GO TO THE GREEN WIRE WHICH I KNOW GOES TO THE SENDER UNIT IN THE TANK,I'M NOT SURE AT THIS TIME WHERE THE THIRD LUG GOES TO OR WHAT COLOUR WIRE IT CONNECTS TO BUT ILL CHECK AGAIN . SO IF I'M RIGHT THE IGNITION SUPPLIES POWER AND THE GREEN WIRE LUG TAKES IT TO OR REGISTERS OHMS RESISTANCE THE THIRD GOD KNOWS... HELP... PLEASE AND TREAT ME KINDLY THANK YOUhttps://www.facebook.com/matthews.3591/videos/10153946669611565/

BY THE WAY THE TEMPERATURE SIDE OF THE FUEL/ TEMP GAUGE WORKS JUST THE FUEL SIDE NOT WORKING THE NEEDLE WILL MOVE AS IV SHORTED IT AND IT ROSE UP AND FELL WHEN SHORT WAS REMOVED I CANT BE BOTHERED TO FIGHT WITH THE TANK SO IT WILL STAY WHERE IT IS FOR THE TIME BEING IV CHECKED THE EARTH TO THE BODY FROM THE SENDER UNIT ,IV NOTICED NO POWER THROUGH THE GREEN WIRE RUNNING TO THE SENDER FROM THE BACK OF THE FUEL GAUGE.WHAT WOULD I EXPECT TO GET WITH A METER WHEN I PROBE EARTH TO THE GREEN WIRE GOING TO THE SENDER UNIT  ANYTHING NUFFIN WHAT VOLTAGE OR OHMS... HELP
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2016 at 4:00pm
There is NO voltage on the wire that attaches to the sending unit on the tank.  Your test has proven that the gauge in the cluster is good.  You need to make sure the sending unit is grounded (earthed) with a separate wire from the body to the sending unit.  If that's good then the sending unit itself needs to be removed and repaired or replaced.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
RebelYell View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelYell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2016 at 4:27pm
Tony, I am afraid I can't give you any more update information on this topic, since I no longer own the car. Hope you find a solution to your problem.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony matthews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2016 at 7:40am
Hi I need to replace my constant voltage regulator on my 78 matador barcelona. iv taken it apart and figure the wires look dark blue and probably burnt out ok so is there a replacement or similar I can use.I checked a hundred times the resistance from the sender unit to the gauge as long as i don't run the engine its reads constant ohms at the moment after putting the sender unit back into the tank and refitting the tank to the car and putting some fuel in it reads 27 ohms at any point from the sender to the back of the fuel gauge.So i reckon the wiring is fine and the earth . ok i did take the tank and sender unit out and connect it to the gauge by using additional wires and aS i MOVED THE FLOAT THE NEEDLE ON THE GAUGE MOVED ACCORDINGLY its ranged from approx 80 ohms to 20 ohms depending i believe when the float was in the full position the gauge in ohms was max out 80 ohms and at empty approx 20 ohms so I fit the whole thing back into the tank and turn the key ..NOTHING .after swearing a lot and thinking bollocks to this I turned back to the gauge and removed the oblong tin three pronged unit known as the CVR took it apart as the thing didn't seem to work and found the contacts the wiring  the wires look like burnt dark blue and figured that's the reaSON ITS NOT WORKING ITS BURNT OUT SO i NEED A REPLACEMENT OR SIMILAR UNIT TO FIT BACK IN THE PANEL WHICH AS YOU KNOW CONTROLS THE FUEL AND THE TEMP GAUGES help PLEASE THANK YOU tONY 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2016 at 8:03am
Here is a diy, if you can obtain electronic parts near by, you can do this within a days time. It is for reference... I may have time today to do a step by step relay mod upgrade with a solid state IC and post it here. As I planned on doing it any way, just never got around to it for myself.

http://www.k-jet.org/articles/projects/instrument-cluster-voltage-regulators/

Edited by 304-dude - Feb/29/2016 at 8:10am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2016 at 6:41pm
Here's a link to one on the back of a 64 Classic cluster. Real easy to do, if you can solder. Either mounting method works just fine.

The original regulator is a weird little thing! It doesn't deliver a constant 5V, but an "average" of 5V. Hook a digital volt meter to a good one and it will never find a reading, bouncing between 0V and 12V. An old analog meter needle will bounce, but isn't as fast, so should hover somewhere around 12V. It's a bi-metal strip that contacts, heats up and breaks contact, cools and contacts, heats up and breaks... ad infinitum (or until it doesn't...). When it fails it breaks contact, which is good for the sending units. 12V to them all the time wouldn't be good! So between the on-off sequences the average voltage is 5V, and average is good enough for the gauges to work. They work equally well with a constant 5V, and I suspect will last longer. The old CVR and sending units last a long time though, many 40 year old units are still working, so it's hard to tell if the constant voltage makes a difference or not, but it works and is an easy fix.
Frank Swygert
captain eagle View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captain eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 5:17pm
I have a 1981 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon !!! The fuel guage works and I have heat But Temp Guage doesn't work! Please tell how to get it w\to work!!! EHANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic