TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Temp and Fuel Gauge don't work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2013 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by RebelYell RebelYell wrote:

Took the instrument panel out of the 77 Barcelona today and swapped out the CVR with a new one and the fuel and temp gauge still did not work. I needed to replace a couple burned out bulbs so at least I got something accomplished. Back to checking more wire circuits. I've not yet got a service manual for it but I wonder if the service manual for my 74 Matador would help me out on the wiring diagrams for the 77. Anyone know if there is any difference?

Your 74 TSM will be close enough for the Fuel/Temp circuits.....the instrument clusters are basically the same....speedo head is different, but that does affect the rest.  Look for an open on the PC strip...I have tons of cluster parts for these.  If both are not working they do carry a common ground to the case...try tighten the nuts and screw on all the cluster.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
RebelYell View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelYell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2013 at 7:20pm
Thank you Ross, I already had put the dash back together before I got your post. Everything appeared to be in very good condition on the cluster panel but I did not check any nuts and screws. I'll continue to check in to it more when I have more time.    
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 12:49am
Hey all, found this website; http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/gauge-convert.htm

-has the bimetal 'regulator' in the fuel gauge instead of the temp (just put the parts on which ever one with the voltage controller -the one that has the three posts)

Went to Radio Shack and they had the parts; p# 276-1770 #7805 +5VDC voltage regulator 1amp & p# 272-1025 10uf electrolytic capacitor.

Found other websites doing similar things, such as getting an antique cars 6v gauges to work to complete a 12v conversion...

I made my ground/regulator attachment at the ground screw of the printed circuit panel, sitting on top of a fabricated heat sink made from thin scrap sheet aluminum; kinda' looks like a 2" x 3" fluted elephant ear. 'the ear' hangs off the back of the instrument cluster almost perpendicular, just above the fuel gauge so I put short sections of cut vacuum line on the two fuel gauge posts so it won't short out in case it gets bent down... (sorry no pic)

Before, after I cleaned the contact points inside the temp gauge, the temp gauge would peg H and the fuel gauge would soar higher than the known gas level so I'd leave the temp sending unit wire off in the engine compartment. Now after putting on the DIY kit, my gauges work to indicate approximate values. I'm still trying to tune them to get the needles more accurate.

Because it's a Gremlin in non-AMC environments, I know I must try harder to make my car the best I can- keep trying -all the little stuff adds up

I think the person with the Matador (really like those two cars pictured) should check their temp sending unit- check it for continuity to see if it makes a ground... momentarily touch the temp wire (purple?) in the engine compartment to ground and turn the key on, if the gauges come on and the temp gauge pegs H, replace the sending unit. test the fuel gauge send unit wire the same way (green?) but must crawl under car, top front of gas tank... since you've already replaced it's CVR you should be trouble free for another ten/fifteen years?

I'm curious to know what other 'solid state' things the Rambler American car might be getting

I read an Internet article on how to wire in a USB? or MP3 cable to the stock radio but I don't understand it... yet!
slownugly View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slownugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 5:49am

eBay regulator in 68 american
28 model a                  73 gremlin drag car

74 gremlin project

00focus v8 5speed

hot rod rollback
68 american mpg project
amcabbott View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcabbott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 7:47am
found same issue on my bricklin sv-1

hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2014 at 7:40pm
I would like to know more about the E-bay regulator in an American. None of my gas gauges have a functioning regulator.
TexasJavelin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2014 at 7:47pm
Thanks for this info. This has happened to me 3 times and one walking trip to the gas station
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2014 at 4:40pm
http://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/dashreg/index.html

That's all that "E-bay regulator" is, packaged in an aluminum heat sink enclosure, from the looks of it. TomJ and I have both been running the bare regulator for YEARS -- mine was installed in 1999 -- with no issues. If you need fancy packaging the E-bay regulator is the way to go, but you can still go into Radio Shack and by a three leg 5V regulator. One number is 7805, IIRC...
Frank Swygert
hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2014 at 3:52pm
Do you have to eliminate the factory 12 volt feed to the gauges on the 67-69 American for this to work? 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2014 at 6:58pm
No, the 12V feed goes to the regulator, the regulator output then feed the gauges.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic