TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Temp and Fuel Gauge don't work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captain eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by captain eagle captain eagle wrote:

I have a 1981 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon !!! The fuel guage works and I have heat But Temp Guage doesn't work! Please tell how to get it w\to work!!! EHANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2016 at 8:38am
First disconnect the temp sending unit and ground the wire to the block. If the temp gauge goes up to "HOT" (all the way up) the gauge is working fine, replace the sending unit. If not, make sure there is no break in the wire before replacing the temp gauge.
Frank Swygert
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 4:24pm
Those parts that were talked about in this thread, that were being purchased at Radio Shack are now not available through the defunct Radio Shack,

Anyone found a new source?
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2018 at 8:48am
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Those parts that were talked about in this thread, that were being purchased at Radio Shack are now not available through the defunct Radio Shack,

Anyone found a new source?

This is the only way to go.  I have not personally used one but I know of two friends that have and they are very satisfied.

http://rt-eng.com/rte/index.php/RTE_limiter
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2018 at 9:15am
Never heard of it called a "limiter" before, but I guess that's a Chrysler term for what AMC calls the IVR (Instrument Voltage Regulator). RTEs instructions for using an external regulator with the regulator built into the fuel gauge will work for AMCs made that way -- Hornets and Gremlins through about 77 or 78, 67-69 American/Rogue.

With Radio Shack gone there is no easy place to get small electronic components. You can order from several on-line places or Amazon though. Might cost you $7 to order a $2 part though. I recently needed a couple diodes for a repair -- no local source. Had to order a pack of $10 for $6 and pay $5 to ship, all for $2 worth of diodes it there had been a local RS.  Many cities still have electronics or HAM radio hobby stores, maybe you're lucky. I did a quick Google search and really couldn't find anything in Columbia SC. Might be some small shop somewhere...
Frank Swygert
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2018 at 9:38am
I would try Mouser for the L7805 regulator. Or call electronics repair shops locally. I have ordered L7824 and 7924 regs for audio projects from China for about a dollar but they take a while to arrive.
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2018 at 7:02pm
Is this the same on earlier cars (regulator), my '66 American is the same way....no temp or gas gauge. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2018 at 5:25am
Yes, there is a removable regulator on the back of the instrument panel on the 66. Looks like a little metal container, plugs in. Lucky you have a 66 -- starting in 67 the regulator is made into the fuel gauge and a lot harder to repair.
Frank Swygert
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2018 at 9:10am
Alright! Lets get our fuel and temp gauges working again YEA!

Thanks everybody for all the additional solutions and info.

-Now planning to fix REBEL/M-XRV8's fuel and temp gauges and will be doing pics and description over there in the 'Member's Projects' section.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2018 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Yes, there is a removable regulator on the back of the instrument panel on the 66. Looks like a little metal container, plugs in. Lucky you have a 66 -- starting in 67 the regulator is made into the fuel gauge and a lot harder to repair.

Thanks Frank I'll check it out
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic