TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Transfer case ?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris_eagle_wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transfer case ?!?!?
    Posted: Oct/27/2013 at 11:59am
I have an 82 amc eagle 258 4speed it's 4wd but I want a floor shift and option of low rang are there any transfer cases that will bolt up (no drilling or welding) ? I know I have to cut a hole in my floor that's no problem just don't want to drill, weld or cut my transmission.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2013 at 1:40pm
No such thing as a bolt in. You want a low range, cutting, mods, is mandatory. My advice is to put lower gears in the axles, but that has its cons too.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2013 at 8:31pm
The floor gets drilled. Not the trans. For a std trans, Jeep (not other brands!) NP208 is stronger but NP219, NP228 or NP229 bolts in. You need a different rear driveshaft for the NP208 (about 5" longer) You have to swap the front yoke from your old tcase either way and swap the tailstock so the speedo cable isn't pointed at the floor joist. I have the NP229 in my Eagle. Still need to drill the hole for the low range lever but other things have been in my way. (now I have to move my motors, trans, etc because my buddy is being forced to move by his ex-boss/landlord)
Chris_eagle_wagon View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris_eagle_wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2013 at 7:58am
So does the np208 come out of a Cherokee ? And does the linkage clear the trans ok ? and what about a Cherokee driveshaft ? …
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2013 at 8:10am
Hello Chris,

have a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_four-wheel-drive_systems  in the Wikipedia.

Therse is overview which T-case is used in the diffrent Jeep lines FullSizejeep Cherokee/GrandCherokee at which time.

The NP208 was used in the Fullsize Jeeps from 1980 to 87.  

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2013 at 10:49am
Any transfer case that was used in AMC, Jeep, or Chrysler 4x4s with the 998 or 999 transmission (assuming you have an automatic) will bolt right up to your existing transmission. I don't know if the XJ Jeep 4.0L xfer cases will work with that transmission, but the four cylinder models should.

Any time you change the xfer case or trans you will have to deal with different driveshaft lengths. Any driveline shop can fix those issues, may cost as much as $200 for each shaft though (remember, price depends on area, so could be more, but I think in NC that cost will be close -- I'm in SC). Other than that there can be issues such as the speedo cable connection being in a less than ideal location, but there are things like right angle drives that will take car of that. The xfer case actually bolting to the transmission and being on the right side (the left side in this case!) is the first consideration though.
Frank Swygert
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2013 at 11:08am
The Eagle used 3 different transfer cases, New Process models 119, 129 and 128.
There is a pattern to the number designations if you look at them.
The 119 was "full time" 4 wheel drive - there was no shift between 2 and 4 and the right front axle was not split.
The 128 and 129 were switchable 2 wheel/4 wheel drive.
The 119 and 129 used a viscous coupling differential which was like a limited slip differential, the more speed difference between front and rear drive shafts, the more the thing resisted the difference.  The 128 used an open differential - so it was like any open differential, one axle could receive all the power if the other was on ice, etc.
So the 9 at the end meant viscous coupled.  The 1 in the middle meant no shift, the 2 meant shift between 2/4 wheel drive.
The 219 and 229 are the most popular swap as far as I know - notice the numbering - Eagle 119 and 129, Jeep 219 and 229.
The 242 is ok but no viscous coupling...... when those couplings work they are fantastic, I'd never go back to an open t-case!
Be aware all of the mentioned t-cases can be used in 4wd on any surface - even dry streets and highways. Some others don't give that ability. In Iowa when you move from dry concrete to black ice, well, I put it in 4wd and leave it there!
A couple of problems can come into play -  the input shaft splines of some transfer cases won't mate to the output of the transmission, and the Jeep output housing is often rotated - so it won't be a direct bolt-in unless you do something about the speedometer cable! Some have used a 90 degree adapter to get around this, some drill the output housing and rotate it to get clearance between it and the floor so the speedo cable will work.
If you go with a 219, you need to lock the front axle disconnect into locked mode. Some rig clamps or devise other methods, the the 219 has no 2wd provisions so you can't shift into 2, you must lock that front axle on Eagle so-equipped. That is not an option, it is a MUST with a 219 and those with no 2wd range.

I think this chart I had in Excel is pretty close........

Edited by billd - Oct/29/2013 at 11:14am
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2013 at 11:30am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Any transfer case that was used in AMC, Jeep, or Chrysler 4x4s with the 998 or 999 transmission (assuming you have an automatic) will bolt right up to your existing transmission. I don't know if the XJ Jeep 4.0L xfer cases will work with that transmission, but the four cylinder models should.

Any time you change the xfer case or trans you will have to deal with different driveshaft lengths. Any driveline shop can fix those issues, may cost as much as $200 for each shaft though (remember, price depends on area, so could be more, but I think in NC that cost will be close -- I'm in SC). Other than that there can be issues such as the speedo cable connection being in a less than ideal location, but there are things like right angle drives that will take car of that. The xfer case actually bolting to the transmission and being on the right side (the left side in this case!) is the first consideration though.

727 has the right spline output as well (80 up) For passenger's side drop, Dodge has their own NP208 that bolts to the 727. I'm putting one with my 304 into the '68 Travelall till I can afford to overhaul the TH400 I have and put the 290 in.

242 has a slip yoke output as well, requiring a different rear driveshaft. 242 is between the 208 (shortest) and 119, 128, 129, 219, 228 and 229 cases for length. For tcases, you need '91 up for 23 spline AW4 and '89 up for AX-15s in XJs/MJs EXCEPT 3 speed automatic 4 cyls '86 to '89.

Edited by carnuck - Oct/29/2013 at 12:03pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2013 at 11:58am
Here's an idea of how the Eagle t-case fits and clears things - first with the cross-member removed:

See, if you turn the output housing "up on the left" anyway, it's going to be a clearance issue:

(OK, so I have a 4.0 in my car and needed the VSS and had to watch clearance a bit....)
Now with the cross-member in place.

And don't even think of reclocking the whole t-case to the transmission. That front drive shaft runs at a very nice angle, almost ideal to keep vibrations out, and if you move the front yoke on the transfer case, and you have a stick, you could get a bit close to the clutch slave cylinder mounted only slightly above the front shaft.

carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2013 at 12:06pm
Keep in mind that TJ std trans have the TCase clocked up (my son had to re-drill the flange of his tcase when he put a TJ AX-5 in his Comanche 2 weeks ago)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic