TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC ENGINE PAINT CONFUSION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC ENGINE PAINT CONFUSION
    Posted: Mar/22/2016 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Linglingjr Linglingjr wrote:

Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Seymour (The good folks that make the EN-66) will sell them to you, but you have to buy 600 cans at a time.....  Disapprove

You can get a single can of EN-66 on eBay for $12.  Engine rebuild shops should be able to get it for you as well.  

Right, but the OP is looking for EN-75, not EN-66. You have to buy 600 cans of EN-75 for Seymour to make it.

Edited by scott - Mar/22/2016 at 2:47pm
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2016 at 8:02am
Thank you for your effort to convey the correct engine paint

I don't really want to be an AMC police officer but...

shouldn't this thread go in the 'restoration' section? (that is confusion also?)

And so, the correct paint for AMC (year models) engines is (AMC name/manufacturer's # etc)

it doesn't matter who made the lead, but it's metallic formula and how to do the babbit bearing on a Ford Model T engine that's what's important (the old AMC supplied engine bearings can be superceded by new bearing brands as long as they are 'correct' (or arguably better) etc)

so many examples of this kinda stuff in AMC History could drive me crazy; what years of AMC cars had ceramic coated exhaust system (high temp paint?), how to do it/what is the new correct computer scanned color etc... argh... so much confusion... sometimes I feel like I'm in the 'twilight zone'...

SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2016 at 6:10am
We came up with a formula for PPG back in the early'90's. It is listed in this old article. I am sure you can still get it mixed up.

Edited by SC397 - Mar/22/2016 at 6:36am
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2016 at 5:33am
You can get custom cans made at Sherman Williams.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2016 at 5:14am
Originally posted by 71SC360 71SC360 wrote:

The correct Seymour code for the later (73-78) blue is BU-75. They dropped that paint 30+ years ago but my father was a Seymour distributer and we bought a pallet of it to bring it back about 15 years ago. Because it was a one time "pallet" deal, they did not re-introduce it to their regular paint line. In order for it to be made again, you would have to order and buy a pallet of it (88 cases) and unlike the EN-66 which is 6 can cases, the BU-75 is 12 can cases.

Sorry we don't have any of the BU-75 paint left. Although I might have a few cans around here, it 15+ year old paint now..

It looks like they dropped the #93-3 "1969-1970 American Motors Magnum 500 Charcoal Metalflake Wheel Paint" also.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2016 at 4:38am
The correct Seymour code for the later (73-78) blue is BU-75. They dropped that paint 30+ years ago but my father was a Seymour distributer and we bought a pallet of it to bring it back about 15 years ago. Because it was a one time "pallet" deal, they did not re-introduce it to their regular paint line. In order for it to be made again, you would have to order and buy a pallet of it (88 cases) and unlike the EN-66 which is 6 can cases, the BU-75 is 12 can cases.

Sorry we don't have any of the BU-75 paint left. Although I might have a few cans around here, it 15+ year old paint now..

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2016 at 4:26am
Originally posted by Rebelmachineguy Rebelmachineguy wrote:

...The variation in interiors is adventure in production standards departures – they weren’t common but they did exist – mostly because if it meant making a sale, AMC was hot on the trail....

The variation in instrument cluster bezels is a prime example of variations with Machines.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Linglingjr View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linglingjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2016 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Seymour (The good folks that make the EN-66) will sell them to you, but you have to buy 600 cans at a time.....  Disapprove

You can get a single can of EN-66 on eBay for $12.  Engine rebuild shops should be able to get it for you as well.  
Linglingjr View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linglingjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2016 at 11:01pm
What about Earlier AMCs? I've read "The 287s were forum blue poly;the old Ditzler code is 12826. An old time paint vendor should be able to mix you up some. LRDaum"

But this forum blue color is super dark (non metallic) and is the color used on the air cleaner housing as well as the dipstick  and tubes.  What is the correct metallic color for the rest of the 287?  I bought EN-66 thinking it looked super close from photos and it is much darker and greener than the original paint that survived on my starter.  

This chart from an even more convoluted 7 page thread about engine paint makes the en-66 look to be the closest match.  

If the seymore cans really vary so extremely much by batch, I guess I shouldn't worry... This is pretty silly. 

Edited by Linglingjr - Mar/22/2016 at 1:33am
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2016 at 9:33pm
Seymour has dropped EN75 and Amarks looks too blue and darker.
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic