TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

power brake booster rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2014 at 5:01pm
Boosting this post back up to today because I'm wondering how Jeff's69AMX made out with his rebuild done by Brake Materials and Parts.

Jeff?? how'd it go?

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Jeffs69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2014 at 11:50am
Armand,

Just asked him about prices to have the brake system rebuilt; hope to have it done in the 6 to 8  months.  Working to get the body repaired and painted right now.  My goal is to have the Ole Girl restored by December 2019.Smile

Edited by Jeffs69AMX - Nov/19/2017 at 9:48pm
Jeff's 69 AMX Restoration Project
DoughertyAMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2017 at 11:07am
Bumping this old post to see if others have used Brake Materials and Parts in Fort Wayne, for restoring original brake booster?  I know Boosters by Dewey is used by many but this place is closer to me and have read good things as well.

Thanks!
Dadsamx1969 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dadsamx1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2023 at 5:33am
hi Jeff I’m looking to do the same on my 1969 AMX what price did they give you to rebuild both
Jeffs69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2023 at 8:54pm
Cost to rebuild my booster was as follows:
  *Rebuilt my original Booster $175
  *Bracket                                 25
  *Shipping UPS                         25
 Total Cost 04/25/2019           $225                                    

Jeff's 69 AMX Restoration Project
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2023 at 9:06am
There is a slight whistle in mine on cold startup. No performance issues.
Inquired about getting it rebuilt and there is only one shop within an hour of me that would do it for $375 CA. 
He stated that there is a bushing in these that is unique, currently unobtanium and he only has a half dozen left - so if I want it done, it should be sooner rather then later.
Replaced the check valve and grommet so that's not the source of the whistle.
$375 for an annoying whistle is a bit much, but $375 if the booster fails is very reasonable, how long to wait dilemma! Likely going to do it this February or March.
Parts are definitely getting scarcer!
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2023 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

There is a slight whistle in mine on cold startup. No performance issues.
Inquired about getting it rebuilt and there is only one shop within an hour of me that would do it for $375 CA. 
He stated that there is a bushing in these that is unique, currently unobtanium and he only has a half dozen left - so if I want it done, it should be sooner rather then later.
Replaced the check valve and grommet so that's not the source of the whistle.
$375 for an annoying whistle is a bit much, but $375 if the booster fails is very reasonable, how long to wait dilemma! Likely going to do it this February or March.
Parts are definitely getting scarcer!

It's common for them to get hairline cracks on the back of the booster due to vibrations.  You might check that first before you send it off.  You'll probably have to remove it from the car to inspect unless the cracks are huge. 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2023 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

It's common for them to get hairline cracks on the back of the booster due to vibrations.  You might check that first before you send it off.  You'll probably have to remove it from the car to inspect unless the cracks are huge. 

Thanks for the tip, will do!
71 Javelin AMX O.O. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2023 at 8:35am
too bad you couldn't get your booster restored.  I found a company that took it apart and sent the booster covers back (they are two pieces) and I had them powder coated.  I worried that when he reassembled the two half's it would get scratched up.  Nope, looked perfect.  You could tell some minor scratching where the two pieces come together, but you really need to look.  Car has been running with it for 12 years and no problems and the powder coat black is as good as day one.  Kind of a late story, just thought someone else would like to know. O, and they also restored the reservoir. Same process.  
Steve
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2023 at 11:12am
If there are cracks, I'll be taking the booster apart myself and TIG welding those and maybe install some reinforcement on the inside if possible.
Then we will see about any restoration.
Curious about this unobtanium bushing also. If there is a bushing that is the problem, can likely make one of those myself.
Have not seen a rebuild kit that includes the diaphragms for sale. I'm assuming the rebuilders have a cross reference for Bendix parts.

Found the number for the rebuild kit MP500828, 8-3/4" dual diaphragm Bendix booster. But not found anyone with stock.

Edited by Trader - Dec/21/2023 at 11:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic