TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

power brake booster rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: power brake booster rebuild
    Posted: Mar/08/2024 at 5:44pm
Austin Hosterman at AMC Acres which is the old Galvin's advertises that they rebuild brake boosters.
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2024 at 6:42am
Thanks Trader
Will give it a try. With hand vacuum pump.
Larry 
SC Rambler
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2024 at 6:02pm
Did an air pressure test first at 5 PSI and did the soap/water. Then just used my hand vacuum pump and did a 5 minute workout. Held 7" of vacuum for an hour so called it good. Been driving the car and all is well, no whistle:)
Have a refrigeration AC vacuum pump with no regulator and thought it may draw down too fast and possibly rupture a seal. Did look at it, but the 5 minute workout was faster then rigging up something to use and control the refrigeration vacuum pump and refrigeration fittings to something that could connect to the booster. 
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2024 at 4:55pm
How did you do vacuum test? On power brake booster. I have a vacuum pump for AC work.
Thanks Larry 
SC Rambler
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2024 at 12:54pm
FYI
Did not find any cracks in the brake booster housing.
But who ever rebuilt the unit used a chisel to bend down the tabs joining the booster body halves. That in turn distorted the booster body an caused the leak around the outer main seal. The master cylinder push rod was also heavily pitted and leaked.
TIG welded the tabs, dolly & hammered the body back to shape, made a tool to bend the tabs like they would be from the factory. All the main seals were good. Had to use my press to reassemble (press down the seal and rotate the upper body under the lower body hold down tabs).
Was going to sleeve the push rod, but the 68-76 Corvette part #BB-3P is a direct replacement push rod and comes with a new seal.
Anyone just needing a new pushrod and seal - that's easy.
Did a vacuum test, all good, painted and will be installing in the next few days. 

There is another number for the rod/seal, DB-1209:

Edited by Trader - Feb/26/2024 at 9:12pm
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2024 at 6:28pm
Booster Dewey did a good job on mine too, but just be aware that he doesn't do much to the outside cosmetically except paint over whatever is there, so if you have any rust make sure you deal with that before you send it in.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

tbm3fan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbm3fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2024 at 4:49pm
I'm surprised no one mentioned Booster Dewey in Oregon. Booster Dewey to me since I have used him since 1990. Today the official name is Power Brake Booster Exchange.
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2024 at 2:45pm
AMCers
I purchased a Brake booster kit some years ago from Classic Industries.
For my SC Rambler when I put car in Storage in 1979 brakes worked fine. But that was a long time ago.
Here is the part number 62-463 9" Bendix Single Diaphragm Repair Kit.
Not sure how I determined on this Kit.
I have not got around to using the Kit or taking mine apart to look at.
Did not want to put mine back in just to see it not work then to take it back out.
Just wanted to have ready when I am able to take mine apart.
Not sure how to check off car to see if it works. If you know let me know.
Hope this can help someone.
Larry

SC Rambler
Goodtimes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodtimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2023 at 9:14pm
Bought my booster kit for my 72 Corvette from harmonclassicbrakes.com, came in a box for a 69 AMX /Javelin part#62-436 Came with both diaphragms, seals, filter, grommet, check valve, poppet valve, and the rest of the soft parts to do a complete rebuild.
69 AMX 290 4spd leather
68 AMX 390 A/T 70 front
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2023 at 11:12am
If there are cracks, I'll be taking the booster apart myself and TIG welding those and maybe install some reinforcement on the inside if possible.
Then we will see about any restoration.
Curious about this unobtanium bushing also. If there is a bushing that is the problem, can likely make one of those myself.
Have not seen a rebuild kit that includes the diaphragms for sale. I'm assuming the rebuilders have a cross reference for Bendix parts.

Found the number for the rebuild kit MP500828, 8-3/4" dual diaphragm Bendix booster. But not found anyone with stock.

Edited by Trader - Dec/21/2023 at 11:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic