TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

motocraft vs weber 38

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super258 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: motocraft vs weber 38
    Posted: Sep/22/2013 at 12:22am
What would be a better candidate for a mildly built 258. and wheres the ceiling with either carb.
when in doubt hit the stupid petal!
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2013 at 9:09am

After all the reading of the weber’s hard to dial in I would go with the MC. Now I would go 1 better and go with a 350 cfm 2300 Holley. It uses all the same tune parts and it’s bigger brothers.

My son’s Jeep came with a Weber and had nothing but issues with it. I had a 2300 on the shelf. A rebuild and a little tuning and it runs great.

The 2300 has the same bolt pattern as the MC carb. I even have a 500 cfm on my stock 304 75 Gremlin because I could not get the stock MC to run right.

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2013 at 9:43am
A mild built 258 can use a cfm rating of about 400 cfm. When you run the numbers out anyway.  Thus I would opt for a new manifold and a 4bbl.
If that is not an option, something you can bolt on and tune would be my next choice and the motocraft fits that better than the webber.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2013 at 10:33am
Depending the application, you'll still need to fab some linkage hookup, but it's far easier on the MC than on the Weber, at least for my Gremlin.

If you've got a downward pull Jeep linkage, then it's no big deal.  Especially without an auto trans to worry about.

Having run both, I recommend the MC for a two-barrel choice.  It is extremely simple, and the nice thing is that the fuel bowl gaskets sit at the top of the carb, which lets you take the top of the carb off without spillage (much).  If you like that sort of thing.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
super258 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super258 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2013 at 11:35pm
my Motorcraft 2150 is off of a 1982 Bronco 2 with all the emissions stuff still on it my question is will it still work on my set up with all that stuff connected
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2013 at 12:28am
Originally posted by super258 super258 wrote:

my Motorcraft 2150 is off of a 1982 Bronco 2 with all the emissions stuff still on it my question is will it still work on my set up with all that stuff connected

Not knowing exactly what "Emissions Stuff"  is  I can not answer that question with any kind of predictable success, but for the most part what consisted of "Emissions Stuff" was a movable main metering jet and there generally is a way to center the movement and hold it is place, that done, for the most part that vintage carburetor works like any of the others so there no reason to believe that it will not work well.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
super258 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super258 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2013 at 1:47am
Thanks unclejohn that's what I was looking for
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2013 at 12:53pm
I have the MC 2150 off of my Hornet 304. It has been rebuilt but is spare now since I put the 4 barrel manifold and carb on the Hornet. I would love to put the MC on the Spirit but it is not a bolt on. Where does one get an adaptor plate to accomplish this task?

Thanks!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2013 at 1:10pm
I think this'll do ya:   http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-2086

There's a Mr Gasket part, but it's reportedly tough to seal well.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2013 at 2:48pm
Ed, I have a 2 to 4 (or 4 to 2) adapter in the garage and a couple of the 2100 series 2bbls used on AMC engines.  I can only assume there are 2 to 2 adapters that change from the BBD 2bbl to the larger 2100 series 2bbl carbs and for the Single Barrel Carter YF Carb to the larger 2100 series carb they are out there some where.  I never looked for them.
A nice intake though to adapt is the aluminum one used on the Eagles which used both water heat and electric heat but most importantly did not make physical contact with the exhaust manifold so you were not overheating the intake manifold and the carburetor from exhaust heat on hot days.  I have had carburetors get so hot under that arrangement you could not hold on to the air cleaner.
Here where it is as hot as it is, I would run no carburetor heat at all and just let the heat absorbed from the cylinder head through the aluminum do what ever is required if anything. And then run an adapter.  And see if I could get away with it.
But that said, the AMC 6 pumps 400+ cfm at 5 to 6000 rpm and that warrants the carter 450 cfm 4bbl. Keep in mind at that size, something runs on the primaries and the secondaries are only used on demand.
My Spirit motor was initially built to be a smog legal cooking version of an in line 6 and it met that criteria, but fell on it's face at about 3400 rpm as that is where the BBD was now past it's cfm capability.
When the smog legal Port F.I. became available with a smog exemption I bought and used it.  It's capability of handling more air was legendary and as such let the engine spin up to well over 5000 rpm with out falling off.  So the compression, cam and now F.I. worked together to provide a quite fast throwback I-6 that ran hard and has for now for the last 13 years and 35,000 miles with the F.I. operative.  The W.O.T. 2/3 shift is set for 4700 rpm and it has no problem doing that when asked.
It is a quick little motor and geared to be a freeway flier at about 32mph/1000 rpm.  This is in high with the torque converter locked up  Another handy performance option was having a 2200 rpm stall lock up converter built for the transmission.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic