TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mega Modding Braking, Suspension & Steering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 23>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 10:41pm
Sounds real interesting, and I think I have it pictured right in my head. Guess I'll see when you get far enough along for pics!
Frank Swygert
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2017 at 8:03am
Farna, my concept had been tooling about in my head for a great deal of time. Though it was about trying to use some sort of spherical bearing and cup design that had me stumped. I wanted to isolate the pivot completely from the bushing, with a fully secured and robust side load. Then I thought about drilling out a ball joint, and using the upper and lower half to hold the ball in between the bracket. Trouble was hardened ball, or nylon cupped and finding the right diameter ball joint. An impossible job which kept me too focused on trying to use some sort of centered pivot, between the bracket's strut bar mounting hole. Going away from centering, was not a plan and was no better off than what is available.

Then it hit me to just trust the bushings to be hard enough to keep the ball centered. After a bit of thinking and searching for materials to survive harsh environment, and be durable as well, I figured why not machine out a cup for fitting around a ball and forget about a steel cup plate all together.

The more simplistic I kept my idea the more I realised the simplicity made it a worth while task without modification to the mounting bracket. Though the bushing kit is all one needs to modify. Only if Energy Suspension would have tried a test run on such a variance with how to use their poly bushings on AMC and Ford designed strut bars. It would help sell their product, as a real improvement.

After all I chose poly bushings for my mod intentions, just to keep the look fairly stock. Their big enough to hollow out and cover most anything that would fit in the bracket as a pivot.

The strut rod mod is for heavy duty use. The old rubber bushing's steel sleeve will come in handy for trimming and having it in place to keep stress off of the threads, and stiffen the bar where it is tapered. If anything that will be the give away to the strut rod assembly being modified. If one is good at it, they could weld the taper and machine smooth to make the rod look like a single solid piece, to be inconspicuous.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2017 at 5:07pm
Check out some of the 4WD parts places. There are some spherical joints made for extreme angle 4x4 suspension parts (four links and panhard rods) out there. Can't remember what website I saw them on, but sounds like what you're working on. No point in reinventing the wheel if you can find them ready to go...
Frank Swygert
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2017 at 5:36pm
Thanks for the info. Have been there with searches. Though I still have not been able to find a perfect option.

There is a setup for Mustangs that have a nice joint setup, but still shorten the strut rod pivot compared to OEM for AMC.

I have already ordered the main components, so if my test run does not pan out, I may be forced to look at further sites with custom spherical joints.

For the cost of my mod, it seems a worth while try. So we will see if it pans out as well as I expect.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 8:23pm
In my other thread about finding info on changing out the AMC upper ball joint, I mentioned that a stumbled upon a thread on another site. Well, I also found some info about this thread. Which surprised me, and also made me feel irratated that peeps will point out my methods without directly asking me here. Giving the wrong info so to speak.

I thought I clearly stated I would gladly answer any questions, and hope peeps don't feel they will offend me by saying your doing it wrong. It's when they say it without knowing the design. It's not perfect yet, but until it get the wheels on the ground, and iron out any further adjustments, nothing is set in stone to how I am doing this setup. Though, it is 90% in the ball park.

I would have posted this long winded reply on the site in question, but I am not able to register. Does not like my email address or some thing. So hopefully they will get the word and use this site to ask questions, and not guess and assume.

To answer the question which ended up being a given assumption I am doing things wrong...

My answer is that they fail to notice that I changed the spring mounting to UCA. Since AMC has a tall spring perch, and Ford has a short one, by using a Ford purch, the UCA is 2 inches in the upper arc range under load without changing springs. Thus a drop without dropped spindles or spring rate change, or dropping plates. This type of drop changes a a lot of how the suspension functions under loads. Almost the complete opposite of how an AMC suspension functions under load.

I basically preloaded the suspension without adding a load to the springs, not just drop the height, which many drop kits don't do, unless you have a custom coil over setup.

Which puts camber at rest closer max camber when compressed, when already set at rest. Plus the LCA is moved close to its full extension (parallel to the ground), should keep camber more steady as it's arc travel will shorten it's distance between its pivot and track with upper arm.

The stock AMC arc will kick the camber out with the travel extending the lower arm out when it becomes parallel to the ground under compression.

I will not run more than 2 inches of travel, as I will be utilising packers in each shock, and limit travel when wheels are exerted from lift off the ground.

This will keep the suspension range between 0 and 2" travel at near steady camber. Have test with my spring removed to notice how lower arm and upper arm travel at the higher end of the arc.

In essence they are trying to make my mods fit into the AMC suspension setup that they are accustom to. I thought my explanations and pictures showed that this is not a true AMC suspension. It's a hybrid 50/50 AMC/Ford with mods to function for track.

Here is a copy from the site.

PseudoSport Dork Dec. 28, 2016 2:58 p.m.

So the guy is making a wide track Javelin by using a 65" wide f150 rear axle in the rear. To get the front to match he is using a 2" spacer and lengthened the lower control arm 1.120" Since he extended the lower arm he then had to move the upper arm an inch out as well. He also moved the upper mount 1" back towards the firewall to correct caster. I didn't read if he was also moving the upper mount down as well. If not then the camber curve and roll center will not be corrected.

I didn't see why he used Mustang II spindles but my guess is they lower the front 2"? They are also .70" shorter then stock which would make the camber curve worse.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 6:56am
Well, maybe he should have asked you about your plans more directly here, but he wasn't impolite in his post... or at least in the section you copied. Hopefully he will read your explanation, as it definitely changes perspective on what you're doing -- not just making the front suspension wider.
Frank Swygert
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 7:34am
Well I did not take it as being impolite, just the fact nobody bothered to question when stating they seen my thread, and were not sure.

It so happens I am so use to having to explain things that over explaining is not a bother. Just how much do I need to add to clearly show what I had hoped to share. Maybe too many words or the fact I use my thread to keep track in some way where I leave off. As most do some thing post and move on to another detail.

I am one to put a lot of ideas down and move from one completion before doing the next. Thus the big move with the suspension humps. Once I start it will be a mess if I don't have things right.

Now I have as recent thrown a change up once more, with my upper ball joint swap. Going from thinking about dropping the upper control arms 1 inch (cut rectangular sections and weld the mounting plates 180°), then returning back to using thr upper ball joint spacers, and back to eliminating the need for spacers with a ball joint swap. Which I will start on soon, once I figure out which manufacturer will be best as my choices are limited.

Though I have found that the short run (mid 90s) C5 Corvette upper ball joint to be a possible fit, but it only uses two elongated mounting holes. Funny thing is that they may align with the existing front two mounting holes on the UCA, and not require any physical mods done, outside of reaming the upright's upper arm to a 10° taper. Though I don't see any long pin versions, so a spacer will probably be needed. Geeze

Well any way, I hope word does make it about on the other forum, as to see some options that may help with their needs. Though my spring perch mod should help more with camber than using a drop plate, and get the proper drop with a purely stock suspension.

I hope to get my poly bushings and Delrin balls done for mounting soon. Have been waiting for a bushing to use as a pilot for the cupping of the poly bushings. Once I create the proper spherical cups, I can create a wood block ball holder to secure for drilling a perfect centered hole. Rather keep my ball cutting tool clean and sharp for the poly bushing 1st, and then cut on wood once done.

Edited by 304-dude - Aug/15/2017 at 7:44am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2017 at 8:12am
Updated my Delrin ball poly bushing mod for the strut rod mod. More progress and pictures!

http://theamcforum.com/forum/topic53345_post789352.html#789352
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2017 at 6:04am
The updated post (use the link, or just go to page 8) clarifies things a lot! I think it is a great mode for performance use, but I'll keep my two piece rubber strut rod bushings for street use. The poly bushings sent a noticeable jar through the floor of my car every time I hit a pothole, even a smaller one. That's why I cut and welded the strut rods so they could be adjusted in front and use a late model two piece rubber bushing in the first place (early 60s cars don't have a nut in front to adjust, and the poly busing has to be trimmed down to fit). But for a road racer your solution is more elegant than any other I've seen, and looks pretty much stock at first glance. So now you need to make a modified bushing and Delrin ball available...  You might want to contact someone at Prothane with the idea, not sure you can get anything from them for the idea, since there is nothing patentable (at least I don't think so -- could be, but can cost a bit to find out), but worth a shot.
Frank Swygert
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2017 at 7:39am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

The updated post (use the link, or just go to page 8) clarifies things a lot! I think it is a great mode for performance use, but I'll keep my two piece rubber strut rod bushings for street use. The poly bushings sent a noticeable jar through the floor of my car every time I hit a pothole, even a smaller one. That's why I cut and welded the strut rods so they could be adjusted in front and use a late model two piece rubber bushing in the first place (early 60s cars don't have a nut in front to adjust, and the poly busing has to be trimmed down to fit). But for a road racer your solution is more elegant than any other I've seen, and looks pretty much stock at first glance. So now you need to make a modified bushing and Delrin ball available...  You might want to contact someone at Prothane with the idea, not sure you can get anything from them for the idea, since there is nothing patentable (at least I don't think so -- could be, but can cost a bit to find out), but worth a shot.

Ah, never thought it would be something that wanted. Everyone seems to like tossing the strut rod assembly when performance suspensions are common. Plus, if it becomes more popular by cost and effectiveness, I bet there would be some negativity going on for competition. I guess I am not so ambitious as most, not that I am just too lazy to bother.

As for Delrin parts they are readily available, not sure if the manufacturer will so small batches under 10K peices with proper sized hole through the middle.

As for the bushings, gosh they are so easy to modify with my bracket setup. Would need to make a better setup for drill press for faster turn out.

Had one issue but I can always obtain another Delrin part. It had a air bubble offset from center. Since I hand drilled using small to larger sized bits through my bracketry to center and locate the ball under pressure, one of my bits hit air and pulled slightly off, and allowed for 1 mm deviation after large bits were used. Had to rat tail file it to Re center but it fits a wee loose. Good enough to test and all, but will Need to order another. May order extras as I have a feeling these are cast.

Here is another picture of the Delrin and steel sleeve fitted in the bushing.

Now all I have to do is elongate the bushings for travel and fit to measure proper distance for adjusting nut. Then cut the old rubber bushing sleeve to fit as a reinforcing and spacer sleeve to mount between the first nut the strut shaft, so only a washer will be added to adjust when bushings wear... If that.

As for street use, I know... but they should be a compromise over hiem and other spherical joint options.

May be able to change how harsh by reversing concave washer on its fitment. Will need to test that part on the road.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 23>
  Share Topic