TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mega Modding Braking, Suspension & Steering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 23>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2017 at 12:04pm
same thing

Edited by amcenthusiast - Jun/19/2017 at 10:59pm
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2017 at 12:44pm
Hi, I know what you and many purists are thinking... But my vision at the time, way back in 2004 to make it a daily driven toy. Thus upgrading to more modern and track worthy performance. Since I live in the Midwest, there are plenty of areas to go to, and require driving to get to them. Though I will mis Laguna Secca, as I grew up around there. Maybe some day I may drive as far to give it a try.

We both want to see how far one can go on a budget and still make it worth while. As we both know the strengths and weaknesses around our builds even though there is the difference of engine and body. I said this many of times, this car could have been easily restored as a unique Javelin, but not so fun to drive as I personally would like. Maybe I should have traded up with someone who wanted at least a 90% stock to start with restore. But for the year of searching, for a car to modify, few were in my area, that I could obtain. I made my plan early and stuck with it. Even though after time, many cars that are unique have been parted out or modified as well.

One thing I never tell anyone, that they must do as I do to make it right. If it were not for the 55 chevy guys modding them cars for street meets and runs, them original cars would not have such status. Both modified and restored, the car no matter which make, goes noticed and in some ways can't live wi out the other.

I don't expect others to understand why, just this was part of what I have always done in some way with things. Since I can remember at age of 3 trying to modify my electric car to go faster. That did not go well as, parents thought I had ruined my car. Never got a chance to work on it again once they found it, with me working away at the motor and gear box. Ha!

Don't know why parents find it so hard to reason with kids. If one can take something apart without breaking it, then quite possibly they could put it back together.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2017 at 9:32pm
Purists, are mostly in their own world. Recently went to a historical club inspection and the "purists" were talking about their cars, MP3 players hidden behind the dash, custom suspension components that judges would never even notice, hidden ignition systems, electric power steering (never seen that one), swapped parts from different years as they were better or parts available. All were making their cars the way they wanted so they could drive them and still enjoy them.
A "purest" after this experience, is someone who drives a classic car and a "historian" is another class all together.
Just my thoughts. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2017 at 4:48am
Originally posted by Lyle Lyle wrote:

Purists, are mostly in their own world. Recently went to a historical club inspection and the "purists" were talking about their cars, MP3 players hidden behind the dash, custom suspension components that judges would never even notice, hidden ignition systems, electric power steering (never seen that one), swapped parts from different years as they were better or parts available. All were making their cars the way they wanted so they could drive them and still enjoy them.
A "purest" after this experience, is someone who drives a classic car and a "historian" is another class all together.
Just my thoughts. 

If it were not for the historians here, nobody would keep me in check. Hehehehehehehehehe! Well I tend to buck the purists as you call them. As I like low tech over high tech. Not that one or the other is better. Low tech when done properly is just as so cool IMO, when in a world of technical marvel, and sometimes can be better, in overal looks and function when things go wrong. So being my purist self, i feel more comfortable with the mechanicals being a direct link to what is going on with the car, not the electronic feedback.

In fact the newer the car the less I feel in control, even though I may have better brakes, suspension, and steering. There is so much that takes away from a pure driving experience. Manual cars are less and less produced, unless you buy a sports car. Not that I can drive a stick, it is just to show how much is being automatic or assisted.

Gosh I have gone off on a tangent I never intended. Well there is always some underlying thoughts to decisions that make up the full equation. And yes, I admit there is nothing like driving a pure stock AMC, as it can bring back a memory or open up a new appreciation, or just down right scare you if a few generations younger.

One thing I try to make a point on, is my suspension mods work at making each component do its job without effecting the other. Thus so much change outside the box. Yes the AMC suspension works well for daily driving and some fun spirited driving in between, but beyond that requires a bit of change.

I love a factory clean look while keeping replacment costs, and the availabilty of replacent to easier on me in the long run,even though I am not using factory parts. Sure it has a wow factor, but bling is not my intention. Just sharing bits to allow others to use or find interesting, beyond the every day or what has been known to be done.

I could have been done long ago with this, as I started on just doing the rack and pinion upgrade and MKII spindles. From there I noticed more about the pitfalls a stock suspension has in performance. Like give a mouse a cookie, never ending cycle of one thing leads to another. I truly never planed, just put myself in a pit, and dug at the obstacles in my path.

Right now things look a bit of a mess, mostly because I don't mind modding, fitting and testing before the body and engine are clean and done, ready for assembly. So it may be hard for some to see past the mess, to understand my vision.

The odd thing that may make negative judgment about this topic, is that it can be considered a Frankinrambler topic. As it has hardly anything to do with a stock AMC suspension and steering, and way too much Ford going on. Ha!

Well I never intended to pull anyone's nose hairs, just add to the pot of what others have shared.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2017 at 8:52am
For anyone out there that has negative comments to say about modifying a car to improve it and make it their own. Perhaps you should think about enjoying the parts that you have available as a result of us modders/rodders. I can certainly appreciate the keep it stock and as original as possible for a museum piece or pure show car because it is really cool to see it as it was produced and makes for a very nice modern reference of what it was. But without the tinkers in the game the money dries up and so does the hobby. I find it strange that many of the purest crowd are so stick in the butt uptight and scoff at the hot rodding, modifying crowd when we do just the opposite and can appreciate their cars. Maybe I am missing something and there are some modders/rodders that have done just the same to the all original purest crowd. But either way....... be it purest or tinkerer.....

These are our cars! Get over it.

Excellent job on the mods 304-dude.

Edited by shootist - May/21/2017 at 8:55am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2017 at 10:09am
I never expected such a comment from amcenthusiast!  There is nothing "mis-engineered" with the Gen 1 V-8 either...but he has gone to great lengths to improve it (and done a remarkable job!).

Anyway... I'm not one for replacing things just because you can either, though I'm guilty of it myself. That's why I put a rack and pinion in my 63 Classic, just to see how hard it would be and if there was a great improvement. It was a lot of work, and I'd have the same improvement by using a quick ratio Saginaw PS box (I used a power rack). I had adapted a late model Saginaw box already. There is a bit of weight advantage with the R&P, but not enough to make it worth all the required work. As long as you have room for the PS box, it's much easier to use a QR version for better steering.

I don't like the "put a Mustang II suspension in it" crowd who do so just because it's "the thing to do".  There is no real advantage even over the older AMC trunnion suspension. So you don't have ball joints... big deal! The trunnion doesn't take more than about 3 degrees of caster (positive or negative), but that's the only limitation. You might pay a bit more for better brake options, but not nearly as much as replacing the suspension with a Mustang II! Now if you need side to side room for an engine swap the MII will work well enough, and you can get rid of the spring towers, but it's still a lot of work for a suspension system that is no better (and in some ways worse) than the original AMC suspension. If you're going to make an engineering change, do it for an improvement or because it's necessary (space requirements, maybe even parts availability... if replacement parts exceed cost of changing... hasn't done that yet!).
Frank Swygert
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2017 at 10:27am
Thank you, as for some being negative or bent by modders actions with their cars... not so long ago I found a few AMC cars more readily available, most could be modded as they were already modded to begin with, or so far gone, it did not matter as long as they got it back on the road. For myself, I thought about how much work I wanted to do, and stuck to a plan. For many modders, they want to have a running car, just as much as a restorer. Low milage the better on the later. Now jump to today. My car would still be skipped by restorers and modders by it being so far gone but a great parts car. It takes more love and time to restore, and now the cost to do so becomes more of a financial burden. Unfortunately I have also seen better cars being parted out and scrapped since my work began, and feel disheartening as much as the restoration purists. We cannot save all the 6 cyl Javelins nor Hornet wagons, yet hope our voices make a difference in some way. Sometimes it is the passion that makes the words harsh, sometimes the lack of being listened to brings on aggravation.

Sometimes even I will look at a partially customised car and say to myself gee that would be excellent restored. But then I look at my car and say can't wait to get my mods done and running.

By the way... I like your modded ride, even though it is not restored. It still brings the days of seeing modified classics, mixed in with factory stock cars driven daily back when I was in high school. Though no pre 74 AMC ever parked in our lots. What it all comes down to is appreciation by the owner. To keep it as it once was off the assembly line or to daily drive it or make it their own weekend warrior.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2017 at 12:21pm
Think about all the companies out there that make parts for people to customize the look and/or performance of a vehicle. None of them would exist without passionate people wanting to tweak their rides. This is no different than way back when. Hooker, Moon, Comp, Edelbrock, Crane, Isky, Lunati, Holley, Hughes, TCI, Sealed Power, Perfect Circle, Cloyes, Wiseco, Diamond, JRE, etc. etc. Just imagine a world without any of them and what it would mean to our hobby.

As long as you love what you have done that is all that should matter and hopefully others have enough kindness to not be a douche. The only acceptable WTF response would be one that is an obvious rig job which has an adverse effect on function where the stock configuration would outperform.

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2017 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

In fact the newer the car the less I feel in control, even though I may have better brakes, suspension, and steering. There is so much that takes away from a pure driving experience. Manual cars are less and less produced, unless you buy a sports car. Not that I can drive a stick, it is just to show how much is being automatic or assisted.

There's a few left,
my daily driver is a dirt cheap pocket rocket (Fiesta ST),
easily the most balanced, nimble and connected car I've ever had.

On the latest rebuild of my own 71' I hope to sprinkle a little of that balance and nimble-ness into the "old car" by dropping the suspension a bit and running 17"s.
Even the plain Jane Ford Focus I had before the ST would out handle a stock Javelin, 
so I think the AMC can use a little help to back up its power and sporty looks.

I won't get too radical with it, but I follow your, and other Javelin suspension mod threads with great interest. Smile
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2017 at 10:41am
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

There's a few left,
my daily driver is a dirt cheap pocket rocket (Fiesta ST),
easily the most balanced, nimble and connected car I've ever had.

On the latest rebuild of my own 71' I hope to sprinkle a little of that balance and nimble-ness into the "old car" by dropping the suspension a bit and running 17"s.
Even the plain Jane Ford Focus I had before the ST would out handle a stock Javelin, 
so I think the AMC can use a little help to back up its power and sporty looks.

I won't get too radical with it, but I follow your, and other Javelin suspension mod threads with great interest. Smile

Hi, well once you are in a smaller car, track setups are easier to do, mainly because of weight, and width to length ratio.

I chose to widen as it seems easy enough to do to make my track width help for such a long wheelbase.

Just adjusting the suspension to ride 2 inches lower helps a lot. The big thing is relocation of sway bar. It actually fights against the action of the strut rod. One thing wants to go one way and the other wants to go another. Thus the main reason for the TA Javelin having it relocated.

After a lot of thought into how to setup my rear. The Watts link is probably the second easiest to install, and the best in lateral control.

Even though Donohue played the Watts link setup down in comparison to the Pannard Bar, his reasoning was true for the day. Now with better tires, the Pannard Bar helps but is not as affective as the Watts link. The TA Javelin had to use Goodyear tires, Firestone proved it's track abilities well, and Donohue wanted them on his car. The tires back then we're not good enough to test deeper into handling. They quickly ran Into a brick wall, and we're able to live with it.

All the other radical mods are options to improve overall function. Just so happens that i chose the Mustang spindles and Mustang GT rack to start with, and worked out further options from there.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 23>
  Share Topic