TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mega Modding Braking, Suspension & Steering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mega Modding Braking, Suspension & Steering
    Posted: Jan/20/2024 at 5:38pm
Thanks 304 dude
Have not changed anything yet just trying to get info to help fit motor for clearance.
I did make make a new topic for help indetermining what to do.
Lowering motor crossmember
Would appreciate any help.
Larry
SC Rambler
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2024 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Ramzilla Ramzilla wrote:

Hi Farna
Going to work at moving it to Lowering Motor Crossmember

You know by lowering crossmember you are effectively changing arc of geometry under bump and corner suspension compression in a bad way.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2024 at 2:45pm
Hi Farna
Going to work at moving it to Lowering Motor Crossmember
SC Rambler
SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2024 at 5:52pm
Larry,

Can you snap a pic of the motor mount brackets?  Trying to confirm you have the correct small body ones.  If they are orig to your SC, then they should be.  But if you got a basket case car and are doing a build, you could have the wrong ones.

Original motor mount plates are pretty short already...

Jon
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2024 at 5:25pm
To start a topic go to the main menu where the different areas are listed. Click on the appropriate area. At the top left there will be a box marked "New Topic".  Just click that and you will get an input screen. You will also see the "select forum" bar at the bottom left of any screen. Click that and go to the area you want, then click "New Topic".

Your ride height won't be affected by moving the lower arm. You're really just moving the inner pivot point, the outer (lower ball joint) position won't change, just the arm angle. 
Frank Swygert
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2024 at 5:14pm
Thanks Farna
Maybe someone could start a topic for me or let me know how to. Then i could update as I progress with it and maybe it will help someone else.
Going to put a temporary 1 inch block there after getting longer bolts to check header clearance and some other things need to look for 1 inch aluminum piece for spacer Also I think it would be good plan on making a 1 inch spacer for springs so ride height is the same.

It has been a project probably made to many changes.
Thanks Larry 

SC Rambler
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2024 at 4:00pm
You're in the right area. Should have started a new topic rather than post on an existing one though.

Anyway... I think you will be fine. The only issue is the crossmember will be an inch closer to the ground. The lower arm will be at a slight upward angle (from stock) but the strut rod angle shouldn't change. There might be some camber change from this, so get a front end alignment. Camber changes a little as the wheel goes up and down, and the arc the lower arm swings in will be changed, just as if you lowered the car an inch, but that should be fine. An inch is about the max I'd suggest lowering the car with shorter springs as more could affect suspension geometry. Your lower arm will be the same angle as lowering with a shorter spring, but the upper arm and steering knuckle positions (lower ball joint position) will still be at stock locations. If you want to lower the car further you'd have to use lowering plates, but I'd advise against further lowering with the crossmember an inch lower already.
Frank Swygert
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2024 at 2:38pm
Amcers  Hope this is the right place to ask a question.
Read through info on suspensions. So have an idea someone here can help.
1969 SC Rambler I have motor block and bellhousing and Termec 5 speed trans in car. 
Had to modify trans mount to lower trans about 1 inch to clear tunnel. 

To get motor with Indy heads and valves covers to clear firewall and be level I Lowered the front crossmember about an inch from frame. Motor clears firewall and is more level. I was going to make a solid aluminum block to fit between motor crossmember and frame.

I do not have any of the suspension parts mounted in car. I am not sure if suspension will adjust to change of lowered crossmember.

Also can I get shorter motor mounts do not have oil pan on to know if there would clearance from crossmember.

If anyone can help let me know your thoughts. I did send to Control Freak to ask for help also.

If this Question needs to go to a different area of Forum let me know how to do it.
Thanks much Larry

SC Rambler
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2023 at 4:32pm
Now that my car is no longer... I did snap up two images with a low tire on passenger side. Also take note the driver side has a 1 inch extension to the LCA, which gives a noticable toe in and camber. None the less my combo of custom lowered spring perches and MKII spindles did do what was intended with HD SC360 springs.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2022 at 7:07pm
After reading a recent post on big spindle brakes... Set16 which I believe is use for Matador rotors. It's the same bearing as my Ford Econoline 150 hub with Mustang II spindle. The only difference is the race diameter, used in the hub bore.

Now the big difference with the Mustang II on bearings is all with the inner. There were two types, one I believe was on I4 and V6, the other on V8. Set5 has a wider bearing and race, even though Set13 is of the same hub bore and spindle pin size.

Have not cross referenced if AMC used a variation of Set5 for the big Matador spindle, with a different race for the hub bore.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic