TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dual Carbs for my 196

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2013 at 2:41am
OH I hope so. I'll find out tomorrow.

I took the car to a Friday night cruise and found many Rambler lovers there. Of course the young people don't know much about it but sure think it is cool. We had a 65 Rambler Classic and a 61 Metro there also.

Jack
stacks View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2013 at 10:06pm
The carbs are on but one of them is leaking gasoline. I need to check out the needle and seat. It appears to be hung open.

Here are some pics of my efforts today =.

Placing the plate on the engine. This took some time as I had to make some adjustments to get everything lined up properly.

Then I installed my home made linkage. Everything cleared ok but I need to fiddle with the hookup to the accelerator. I have something in mind to make it work.

Then I torqued down the headbolts holding the plate.

Next I mounted the carbs, and again I had to make some adjustments to get a good fit. It was really close to hitting the heater plumbing, but it is ok.

Then I ran the gas line, vacuum line, and transmission vacuum line. I sort of ran out of time so I quit for the day. All in all I am pleased with the appearance. I will get a lot of pleasure out of opening my hood now.

Jack
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2013 at 1:33am
SLICK!!!!Hug
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2013 at 10:28am
Looks good! Glad my idea worked for you. You made a much nicer looking implementation than what I threw together way back when!  Mine was much closer to the carbs, but that really doesn't matter. I had left the plate rectangular instead of trimming to fit like you did too -- like I said "thrown together". I had intended to dress it up later, but took it off before I did. Ran it for about a year though. Since I was driving the car everyday the single 2V was a bit easier to deal with, so when I found a good WCD to replace my old worn out one I switched back. No difference in power between the WCD and duals, but the duals sure are better eye candy!!
Frank Swygert
stacks View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2013 at 11:56am
Thanks for the positive comments everybody - that is what makes this forum so great.

The car is all together and running. I did notice an improvement in performance and exhaust sound. I still have a surging with the rps above idle so I am going to check float levels and look for vacuum leaks. All in all I am very happy with the looks. I took it to a Monday night cruise and got rave reviews.

I thought that I had the wrong jet sizes but have learned that the RBS carb does not have jets, but uses a metering rod. It is not easy to get the metering rod out as you pretty much destroy the plug that holds it in place. So I am not going to mess with that. I did rebuild my "new" carb (that is where my leak was coming from - wrong needle valve) and I think it is good. They are pretty simple carbs and easy to remove. Anyway the car is spitting out black smoke from the tailpipe so I must figure it out and fix it.
Jack
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2013 at 2:58pm
All metering rod carbs DO have jets. The metering rods go down into a large jet, effectively changing the size of the jet as it does. The smaller step on the end of the rod means more fuel goes around it through the jet, larger step reduces fuel flow. There are usually three steps.

You need to make DARN SURE that the jets AND metering rods are EXACTLY the same size in BOTH carbs. If not, you will eventually burn a hole in a piston -- #6 if the rear carb has a smaller jet/larger metering rod, #1 if the front carb. If you don't cruise long distances a lot it may take a long time for a piston to burn. I had the dual on a daily driver and made runs to my parents home in SC from Warner Robins GA, and from WR to Atlanta sometimes. I was an hour into an Atlanta trip one day when the hole burned in the piston. The problem was one of the carbs (Carter YF, no metering rods) had a jet that was one or two numbers different than the other. Took about four months to burn a hole in the piston.
Frank Swygert
stacks View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2013 at 5:22am
Sage advice.  

Sure enough my new carb is feeding way too much gas into the manifold.  There is a noticeable difference in how cool the rear carb is from the front one.  It is cold to the touch while the front one is only cool.   I disconnected each carb in turn and ran it as a test.  With the rear carb it blew black smoke like crazy.  I have located another Carter RBS and will give it a try when it arrives. 
Jack
stacks View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2013 at 8:04pm
My new replacement carb arrived and looks good.  I removed the intake plate and resealed it with some Permitex #2.  The new carb works great and resealing the plate solved my vacuum leak.  So now the car runs nice and smooth.  I am so happy.

As a side note I obtained another engine and automatic transmission today.  It is complete with carb, starter, generator, distributor and oil filler tube.  It needs a good cleaning and some inspection.  If it looks ok on the inside I may put it in my car.

Jack
stacks View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2013 at 7:59pm
I obtained a nice matched pair of Holley carbs for my Rambler.  Here are a few pics of them on the car.  I still need to tidy up the fuel lines and make some minor adjustments.  All in all they work better than the Carter RBS carbs I had on the car.  I especially like the glass fuel bowl on the Holley's.  I have heard them called fish bowls.

Jack
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2013 at 9:34pm
I used that holly carburetor back in the day and really liked them. That is a slick looking package. 
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic