TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1964 American 330

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambling On Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2013 at 7:40am
Originally posted by pvtskiles pvtskiles wrote:

Finally got some progress today. After a good 30 minute conversation with the guys at prothane, I cut the inner section of my control arms because their bushings replace everything. Couple minutes with a hacksaw and I'm good to go. Working on removing the hubs to get ready for my scare bird kit. Also need some help with the lower ball joint. When I go online to rock auto, they show it being a bolt in part, but I don't see the same thing on my car. It may be the 40+ years of crud built up. I will post pics tomorrow. Also, does anyone have recommendations for tie rod ends? The moog ones seem to be the best value.

did you get any pics of cutting the bushes out ?
pvtskiles View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvtskiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2013 at 8:24am
I didn't get any of the actual cutting process but I do have this one of the section that was cut out. i will take some pictures of the arm with the new bushing installed to help show what was removed.

pvtskiles View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvtskiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2013 at 10:16pm
So, i scored big time on the for sale section on here. Got a complete disc conversion kit on the way now. I also have the boots for my ball joints on the way, so I can start drilling the old ones out and replace the lower control arm bushings.

I've also made the decision to replace all the bolts holding the suspension components together. Wasn't expecting it to cost as much as it did, but the peace of mind of having all new hardware holding it together is worth it.

I know some people might not agree with my next decision, but I did it out of necessity and so I could drive the car sooner than later. I will be pulling the stock gauge cluster and making a dash insert on the laser table to accommodate new gauges. Part of this is due to my fuel tank being a rotted mess and me having a fuel cell handy with a GM sending unit. I nabbed some autometer 2" classics and should be playing with the layout soon.

Oh, and if anyone needs any of the parts I'm pulling and not reusing, please don't hesitate to ask and I would be glad to help you if I can.

Sorry for the massive entry, but there isn't really anyone nearby that shares my rambler excitement.

I will be sure to document my progress with the steering and brakes and post pics as often as possible.

One last thing, do you mount the replacement balljoints from the top or bottom? The TSM doesn't say.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2013 at 3:36am
Looking at the picture in the '65 TSM it looks like the ball joints are installed in the lower arm from underneath.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
pvtskiles View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvtskiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2013 at 10:24am
Thanks.
pvtskiles View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvtskiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2013 at 4:29pm
Alright, got some long needed time in the garage today. Managed to pull the lower control arm and get the old bushing pulled as well as drill out the old ball joint. I plan on getting back out there later to put the new bushing and ball joint in.

I must say, I'm very pleased with these prothane bushings. They fit great and look like they should last a long time.

pvtskiles View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvtskiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2013 at 7:49pm
Got the lowers back on. The new bushings make for a snug fit but they went together great. 

Quick question on the ball joints, the replacements just have caps where you'd expect a grease fitting. Do I need to put some on?
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2013 at 2:38am
If the caps can be removed and a zerk fitting found to fit it, it certainly couldn't hurt. Make it a little easier a few thousand miles down the road.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
pvtskiles View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvtskiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2013 at 9:48pm
Thanks. I'll grab some and put them on before I get everything put back together.

also, the ball joints didn't have boots on them when I bought them. I purchased replacements, but should I regrease the joint just to be safe?
pvtskiles View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvtskiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2013 at 12:37am
Got my disc brake conversion kit today. Ordered the scare bird hubs. Should be seeing some major progress here soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic