TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Project - 69 Javelin SST Hot Rod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project - 69 Javelin SST Hot Rod
    Posted: Jun/23/2013 at 9:38pm
I recently picked up this 69 Javelin SST(original 343/auto car) for a long term project. It has been sitting for years and being used as trash can. It was headed to the crusher soon if I hadn't saved it. Interior is pretty bad but does still have the gauge cluster in decent shape(140 speedo) and the radio. The motor and trans are out of it but I got part of the original 343 in the deal, no heads or intake - brackets all missing. There is some rust but I have seen alot worse, glass is all good most of the chrome is there. I got this car pretty darn cheap. It will be a BIG learning experience for sure. I plan on putting a healthy 390 or 401 in it & a backyard paint job on it. This is going to be a low budget hot rod not an expensive perfect restoration. It is pretty rough but worth fixing and I have always wanted a 68-70 AMX or Javelin. I plan to start working on it sometime this winter or next spring. I have got it home and cleaned a couple bags of trash out of it and that's it so far. It looks like someone might have raced it a little bit back in the day. I think it is a good prospect for an old school hot rod build. I am sure I will be asking a ton of questions on this one. Such a cool car I can't believe someone let it get like this.  

Edited by dane - Jul/10/2013 at 3:26pm
1974 Matador Coupe Brougham aka "The Mat"
1975 Matador Coupe Oleg Cassini Edition
1969 Javelin SST (Project Car) - SOLD but not forgotten
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2013 at 8:17am
nice save ---343 SST in Beal Street blue!

that blue metallic interior will cost a few extra $$$$ maybe you can switch it over to white, but I love the blue, that was the same as my first car back in high school.

Looks pretty straight and rust free, great project!

Mike
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2013 at 11:10am
WOW NIIICE score! Looks like it has all the exterior trim and emblems wich saves a lot of time and money searching, that Mark D. spoiler is a bonus too!
Original radio, wood grain A/C center pad!   Looks like new carpet, recovered seats and door panels and a nice cleaning will do wonders for that interior. If the dash isnt cracked your golden, but fixing dash cracks isnt hard to do at all if they are there.

Edited by 348AMX - Jun/24/2013 at 11:12am
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2013 at 10:26pm
After some TLC and a few bucks you should have a cool cruiser! Looking forward to some update pictures.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
dane View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2013 at 11:49am
Originally posted by wantajav wantajav wrote:

nice save ---343 SST in Beal Street blue!

that blue metallic interior will cost a few extra $$$$ maybe you can switch it over to white, but I love the blue, that was the same as my first car back in high school.

Looks pretty straight and rust free, great project!

Mike

The trunk has some rust through but the rest is pretty decent. I like the blue interior also but I will probably delete the plaid inserts though. I may go back pretty close to original with the exterior & interior but it is not going to be stock under the hood.
dane View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2013 at 2:23pm

Well, got her down off the trailer, got some tires on it that hold air, washed her and cleaned her out. I know what I've got now, a BIG HUGE project!!! I've been tossing around the idea of selling it and finding something a little easier to build. I'm going to think it thru for a couple weeks. She does have potential though!

Edited by dane - Nov/12/2013 at 2:30pm
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2013 at 10:47am
Good find, whether you decide to keep it or not! Tilt wheel, too!
Many of us have seen too many nice cars get parked; get neglected; get trashed; and I suspect it's often because people have good intentions or have an attachment to a car and think if they can just hang onto it, things will turn out fine.

I have a retired school teacher near me (in not exactly dry Wisconsin) who has let his Donohue Javelin rot outside for 33 years. It's a car his Dad bought new. When I inquired about it 30 years ago, I got the line "I'm going to restore it". Now, it's completely hidden by trees and overgrowth, and I'll bet the car breaks into pieces when the next property owner finally tries to have it hauled away.  Too bad...

...but glad you're trying to save this one!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
dane View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2013 at 11:33am
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Good find, whether you decide to keep it or not! Tilt wheel, too!
Many of us have seen too many nice cars get parked; get neglected; get trashed; and I suspect it's often because people have good intentions or have an attachment to a car and think if they can just hang onto it, things will turn out fine.

I have a retired school teacher near me (in not exactly dry Wisconsin) who has let his Donohue Javelin rot outside for 33 years. It's a car his Dad bought new. When I inquired about it 30 years ago, I got the line "I'm going to restore it". Now, it's completely hidden by trees and overgrowth, and I'll bet the car breaks into pieces when the next property owner finally tries to have it hauled away.  Too bad...

...but glad you're trying to save this one!

Thanks!
My very first intention was to just save it from going to the crusher and move it on to an AMC guy. The guy I got it from had no clue what it was. He got it basically for nothing at an estate sale and thought the car was just a junker. He was going to give it one week on craigslist before taking it to the scrap yard. After I talked him down to $500 I told him it was a rare muscle car and he said "that thing is??" LOL. Now that I've had a chance to look at it for awhile I'm starting think it is one of the coolest looking old cars I've ever seen, actually. I just like how sporty it looks and the lines are so simple but so unique. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards fixing it up some and putting it back on the road someday. My budget will dictate that decision though as always.

Edited by dane - Jul/23/2013 at 3:59pm
dane View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2013 at 3:03pm
Update, after several weeks & months of failed attempts I was able to obtain a clean green Oklahoma title for the car yesterday. Clap

I have not dared buy any parts or waist any time working on it because the title was not clear. The state of Kansas made an error on the Vin and left 1 digit out. I could not locate the fella I bought it from to get this fixed. So I had to go round and round with the state of Kansas. But I finally got all my ducks in a row and got it in my name....

So now I will start trying to collect some parts for it. It was a circus getting this corrected, sheesh!
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2013 at 3:40pm
Congrats!! Now gut that interior(if you havent already).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic