TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help with 1970 Javelin restore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walkergetx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 6:37pm
We are on the south side of Houston, Tx

I have been thinking of buying a welder, but am pretty clueless.  I am thinking a Miller 140 or similar would be the right size, but I am afraid of dropping almost a grand on something than will not get used much.  I also have no idea where to get the gas bottle from or where to get it filled.  I suppose I could find a welding shop somewhere, but this all sounds like I'm getting over my head and fast.

Edited by walkergetx - Apr/29/2013 at 6:41pm
RedX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 6:50pm
I've got a Eastwood MIG 135 welder and really like it. Runs on 110, so you can use it anywhere.   It's available with a kit that includes a cart and an auto-darkening helmet which I recommend. Very easy to weld with and includes a guide to set up the welder for the metal thickness.   My grandmother could weld with it.   I was a little surprised at the cost of the gas but wouldn't want to go without it.   Will run around $450 plus shipping and the gas. eastwood.com or 800-345-1178 for a catalog. You need this catalog as they have everything you might need for restoring an old car body
walkergetx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walkergetx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 9:39pm
I get the Eastwood catalog.  I imagine their mig is made by one of the big three.  I've just been told Miller, Lincoln or Hobart and no others.  I might try it.  That sounds like my kind of investment.  I did like the Miller Autoset, but I can do a lot of learning for $500.  Thanks.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 10:09pm

Wantajav has a point on going new over used but if you know someone that has one that can help you check out the used one before you buy will help. All 110v will be light duty cly. But is more than enough for anything needed for a home garage. I do have to say I bought 2 Lincolns new, first was stolen that I bought @ HD, 2nd one was bought @ local welding store where I buy all my supplies.

Lincoln 135 welder
Speed Glass helmet
Is this your picture or mine.......Oh it mine ;)

This Eastwood kit looks like a pretty good deal http://www.eastwood.com/mig-135-welder-cart-helmet-kit.html
Even us old times get in a little over or heads at times. We just step back for a bit, can be a long bit, ask others how they may go about getting the job done and take all that information and use what will work best for you.
Dave ----

Edited by FuzzFace2 - Apr/29/2013 at 10:10pm
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Teamamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teamamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 10:11pm
I can cut the frame part from the parts car I have and I beleive I have a used lower rad support here as well.
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 11:34am
As a side note, after having a welder in the garage for a while you will wonder how you lived without one. They are so useful, honestly if your rebuilding any old car they are invaluable tools. In a car craft magazine a while back they claimed there is 3 categories all car guys fall into, one is guys without welders, guys with welders, and guys with welders that know how to use them... its true. Good luck, Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 4:59pm

Welcome to the battery tray/radiator support club. That's a good bit of work ahead of you but do-able. I started out a complete mig welding newbie and now making my own parts.

Here's what the same part of my car looks like atm. And a picture of the crossmember I just finished. If you can't find a replacement crossmember, maybe I can help you figure out how to make your own. 

javjav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2013 at 1:57am
If you need any sheetmetal or frame pieces, let me know.  We are chopping up a 1974 and will have a small pile of usable pieces.
amxjavelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxjavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2013 at 10:36pm
I have a mig welder  Hobart 140    - $459  and gas holding tank - $279
perfict size for what you have here.
110 volt.  welds up to 5/16" thick steel

I also have body parts for the 70.

Battery inner fender panel.
frame rail.
and lower rad. support.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic