TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Blue smoke, shaking engine, oily plugs...help!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Blue smoke, shaking engine, oily plugs...help!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2013 at 9:44pm
Pull the plugs and check to see if any of the electrodes are bent.

I had a similar experience once ,and it wound up that something small,never found out what,was ingested into the carb.. Same exact thing as you described happened to me. And you did mention having the carb worked on.

Pulled plugs and found three bent plug electrodes. Looked further and found bent pushrods.

All cylinders effected were sharing the same plane in the intake,so it was figured that the whatever foriegn matter it was got pushed back into the intake and sucked into another cyl. till it screwed up three cylinders.

Hope this isn't your issue ,but thought I'd throw it out there.

Good Luck..

Rich C.
budryzer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budryzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 8:54am
X2 on uncljohn's post. I too broke seven ring landings with the detonation issue. If all seems fine with your pvc and returns...... a compression test and a vacum test will reveal solid mechanical status. If they are good??? then you need to look for flaws, such as why or how oil is being introduced into the combustion chambers only on the one side of the block. Good luck.
1968AMX Stroked 369
"UNCLE SAM" tribute
04 H2
04 BMW 325
A/W 95 Ultralight Hobbycopter
85 CR500 x 2 and 13 other open Class Bikes
77 Hercules
Chinook Flt Lead
Prev
1970AMX390/4spSonicw/mask&3Gremm's
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 10:49am
"I had a similar experience once ,and it wound up that something small,never found out what,was ingested into the carb.. Same exact thing as you described happened to me. And you did mention having the carb worked on."

I got a nice '70 390 block free because a mechanic couldn't find one of the carb nuts.  A head and a piston were toast but everything else was good.  Mike
Mike
Nightmare2013 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightmare2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 2:55pm
Thanks! I checked the carb and whatnot, I did the tuning but it was just changing the idle and choke. Been wrestling with that damn ps pump in the Tahoe and the waggy is sitting patiently.
Would risolene oil conditioner cause such a response?
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 4:36pm

Are you saying all the plugs on one side are oil fouled and none on the other side?

SKeown
Nightmare2013 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightmare2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 7:14pm
Skeown, yes. Pull all plugs, driver side oil fouled, passengers side light tan. Pulled valve cover and gasket appeared either melted or it was a cheap rtv job. Rockers appeared fine, no bent or snapped bridges. I put into risolene oil conditioner about 40 miles ago before this occured. When driving no oil pressure drop and temperature was good, and my mystery misfire was gone, but now it shakes at low rpm (like driving over grates) and got blue smoke. Did not hear any pinging or detonation but I am deaf as anything. Didn't feel anything out of the ordinary before this occured either.
Btw tail pipe was black and wet when I got home.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 8:10pm
What do the valve guide seals look like? Have you replaced the cap and rotor?
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 8:47pm
Intake gasket? Maybe it failed and oil is going directly into the ports. Pull the carb look in the intake runners and see if there is oil on the cylinder head port floors. 
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 9:37pm

With the origional dual plane intake that makes no sense. If oil is getting into one port it should be dispersed to two cylinders on each bank to some degree. I would remove the intake and do a compression test, most likely something will jump out between those two things.

SKeown
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 9:56pm
Thought he said all plugs on drivers side had oil so I figured it was easy enough to pull the carb and look for oil. Oil directly into the ports would smoke like he said and could the foul plugs which would account for the running rough and shaking. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic