TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Blue smoke, shaking engine, oily plugs...help!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Blue smoke, shaking engine, oily plugs...help!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Nightmare2013 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightmare2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue smoke, shaking engine, oily plugs...help!!
    Posted: May/03/2013 at 9:55pm
Well, the jeep is sold. I looked over everything long and hard and this jeep has had a abused life. So, had a guy tow it away and now talking to a gentleman with a international scout with an amc 401 in it. We'll see how that goes!
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 10:43am
If it was a SBC, you would have to remove the distributor................but on the AMC V8, no, you do not have to remove it.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 1:23am
That sound familiar! And while I have not had a cigaret in 5 years, something which in order to continue with is a daily chore to be aware of when I discovered yesterday I have to change another bent push rod. The urge was almost over powering.
I think it bent just to get even with me.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightmare2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 11:11pm
The similar parts is the cussing, the craving for alcohol and feeling utterly relieved when it's all done.
Out of curiosity I went and checked the others and my exhaust side lifter on cylinder 4 is stuck.
Maybe the jeep is getting jealous of the other trucks I just bought.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Nightmare2013 Nightmare2013 wrote:

Uncljohn, I asked just to see. I have never timed a vehicle but I'd sure as heck figure it out one way or another. After being to war several times and returning with two purple hearts and a permanent limp, the only thing that intimidates me any more is midgets due to an irrational phobia.
But thank you. I asked this before I opened the chiltons manual and realized I didn't.

I sometimes wonder if repairing these things and going to war don't have a whole lot in common.  Except the shooting might be more accurate sometimes.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightmare2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 10:08pm
Uncljohn, I asked just to see. I have never timed a vehicle but I'd sure as heck figure it out one way or another. After being to war several times and returning with two purple hearts and a permanent limp, the only thing that intimidates me any more is midgets due to an irrational phobia.
But thank you. I asked this before I opened the chiltons manual and realized I didn't.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 9:38pm
If you are letting pulling the  distributor out just because your are concerned about re-timing things? Intimidate you a a bit you are being afraid of something that is actually quite simple to do and when you realize that you will definitely feel silly.
Now having said that?
The answer is NO!

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightmare2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 9:30pm
Alright got the Tahoe out of the way and found the wagoneer's problem gents! I have a collapsed lifter on cylinder one, on the intake side plus my rear oil passage was plugged up with goop. I siphoned out the goop and trying to convince the wife to buy new pushrods and lifters.
I actually used that really, really thick risolene stuff. I cannot speculate whether or not that was the cause of all this, but regardless I feel very relieved to know the problem now. I probably won't be singing the same tune if I get the thumbs up and have to yank everything off the top of the jeep.
Next question, given the fact that I have to yank the intake to get to the lifters, do I have to pull the distributor and retime it? That would suck.
Thank you everyone for all your help!
budryzer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budryzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 4:37pm
It is possible that the Risolene/Kerosine left in the oil sytem could free up sludge that then gets into the combustion chamber!
1968AMX Stroked 369
"UNCLE SAM" tribute
04 H2
04 BMW 325
A/W 95 Ultralight Hobbycopter
85 CR500 x 2 and 13 other open Class Bikes
77 Hercules
Chinook Flt Lead
Prev
1970AMX390/4spSonicw/mask&3Gremm's
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

I'd never put Risolene in any engine I cared about.

I guess I could say the same thing about 5W anything motor oil on a 100 degree day.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic