TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

HEEEELP!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Tillery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HEEEELP!!!
    Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 6:35pm
Have a 1970 AMC Hornet, Its BEAUTIFUL all original, got it for my sons first car, replaced alternator, selinoid, voltage regulator, coil and starter. Needed to change a part in the steering column to get it running, had a neighbor that said he knew cars, well long story short he destroyed the ignition trying to get it out, easy fix....however he broke the part behind the ignition, and now im being told we need a new steering column. They are SO hard to find!! Are there any alternative car parts that can be used? Its a non tilt automatic, shift on the column. Any advice would be great!! Son is fed up and just wants to sell it......Angry
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 6:55pm
Hello:
...Doubtful if you have to change the entire steering column.

1.Who told you you need a whole new column (the guy who broke yours?)

2.Can you get a picture of the piece that looks broken?

----lots of great folks here with tons of parts they will let go for cheap and they know how to help
----driving old cars can be tough as a first car for a son, (or be the best thing he ever did)

Mike

Miss Tillery View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Tillery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 7:22pm
the (mechanic) that fixed the ignition said there is a gap after putting it back together,needs steering column because its is broken,his opinion?
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 7:27pm
Yes, that is his opinion, if

a.There's a gap

b. Parts left over

he's not done yet. or he swapped in the wrong replacement parts. Might not be his fault someone gave him the wrong part but he should know when there's an issue.....take it somewhere else or give us more info

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Tillery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 7:58pm
we had one guy trying to fix it,and the (mechanic) is trying to fix what he messed up! he was trying to take off the ignition with a screwdriver? the (mechanic)  came in and found out it was just a wire on cilinoid that was bad and now we have the steering column issue.Do you know of anyone in Fort worth Texas that can check it out?
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 8:21pm
First of all, welcome to the forum.  These guys are great at helping out. 
Second, with an AMC always beware of Mr. Strangewrench.  Not all mechanics are created equal.  Anyone gets near my car with a screwdriver and starts to "jam" had better watch out for the 5 lb. sledge he's about to get in a delicate area. Exclamation
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Tillery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 8:23pm
Well thank you kindly for the welcome Big smile, my son was with him at the time so I had no clue what he was doing to the car, otherwise we may have had a different outcome Ouch haha

71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 8:37pm
If you can get some pix, I can help you out. I have tons of Hornet parts, including steering column parts...
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Tillery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 8:56pm
I can get some pics ,but won't be until tomorrow(too dark) to take pics. but will asap.Thanks
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Tillery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 9:06pm
wife took a few pics let me know what you think. Gotta figure out how to upload these ha ha!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic