TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

first restoration 1957 hudson hornet custom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 57hornetKustom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first restoration 1957 hudson hornet custom
    Posted: Mar/16/2013 at 7:53pm
Well im new to his forum as i just signed up a few hours ago.  The other day i stumbled on a project car that me and my son can try to restore... lol he is only 6 but loves working on cars with me.  Well the car i got is a 1957 Hudson Hornet Custom.  it has 4 doors and stock amc 5.4 327v8.  the outside is not that bad as it has a replacement front clip from when owner crashed it into his house. lol.  but the chasis and unibody recieved no damage. the interior is interesting lol. back seat is great condition and front seat is a mess lol needs to b re upholstered.  im eventually gonna rip out the whole interior and redo what i can.  but for now, im kinda focused on the engine and mechanics of it.  well the car starts but runs really rough. it has surface rust on it as it was sitting outside surrounded by tall grass and dying... it has power brakes and power steering lol never would of thought. the car is all stock even the carter 4bbl carburetor which im planning to get rebuilt or going to pick up a replacement carb that will work for my engine like holley or something.  anyone have an aftermarket carb on similar engine? slowly im figuring out tha parts are hard to find for this car.  
the carb itself is ancient lol when giving it gas, it bout stumbles then catches up. also it looks as if gas is leaking out of where gaskets are. and the fuel jets thing sprays on one and the other dripps. guess its dirty.  mileage is 76000 and it has a clear title.  it even came with all reg cards and paperwork from 1957 along with a nash club book with the car (same vin) listed in it as great condition back in 2000.  apparently this car used to be in carshows as it came with numberous certificates from florida. but now its dying and hopefully i can bring it back to life. 
who knows how long its gonna take me but ill take my time as im so busy with working and raising 2 kids lol so funds are in priority for kids and fam first then car. i will upload pics in just a few. 
any one have any experience with these type cars def message me. especially with the carb thing. any aftermarket carbs would work with this car? hopin i could get an adaptor plate so i can get an afermarket carb and hopefully get this original one rebuilt once i figure out how much itll cost. 
im sure ill get stumpted every now and again but for now i guess ill jus take my time and learn about this car.
i have all the trim that i can see but am missing 1 headligh bezel which for now seems impossible to find unless another kind of car uses the same part. 
this is def new to me as im used to working on cars that are not this old.  sorry if im using wrong verbage as like i said im new to this. well thanks for anyones input. hope u like the pics 
57hornetKustom View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 57hornetKustom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2013 at 8:06pm
hmm how do i post pics?
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2013 at 8:13pm
Welcome to the forum.  That's a very cool car you have - and I know your kids are going to love it. My car has the 327 - and we have a stock 4 bbl Holley with it. I don't know itf it would fit on your intake or not, but might be a place to start as far as what works with the 327.
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2013 at 8:18pm
To use the forum as the hosting site, you have to have 30 posts to do so (it keeps the spammers down). When you get 30 posts, click on the  box with the tree picture in it in the icon bar. If you have a Photobucket account, you can post from there using that as the hosting site.
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2013 at 8:18pm
You need to post at least 30 times before you can post pics.  Welcome to the forum.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 57hornetKustom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2013 at 8:39pm
oh ok... lol yea apparently 327 amc engines have different generations. so maybe the intakes are same.  maybe a holley 4150 with a adaptor plate if it doesnt bolt right up.. thnks for the welcome se and fast. glad to b here
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2013 at 10:41pm
We're glad to have you.
huddy1955 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huddy1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2013 at 2:06am
Welcome aboard. 

55 Hudson Hornet owner, 4 x 57's In our family as well.

1955 Hudson Hornet Custom
1963 Rambler Classic 660 wagon
1969 AMX 343 auto NO# 09 of 24
1973 Rambler Matador Wagon 360
1985 Jeep J20 pick up 360
2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic
plenty of parts cars
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 57hornetKustom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2013 at 10:23am
Thnks huddy. Ill prolly b askin u lots of quest..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic