TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX lower control arm bushing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69amxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX lower control arm bushing
    Posted: Mar/07/2013 at 10:49am
Does anyone use the pro-thane polyurethane bushing in the lower control arm?  Is it better than the stock rubber type?
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2013 at 11:29am
The prothane or energy suspension bushings are great, and probably will last forever.  That said, there are two issues that you need to know about:

1: ride quality will do two things - A: steering will be slightly 'sharper' and there will be a small increase in road noise/harshness transmitted to the interior
2: if you are using 'aggressive' alignment settings (i.e, a lot of positive caster) to help improve steering response, these bushings are so stiff that they will not deform enough to allow that to happen.

My opinion - if you are using urethane or nylon bushings anywhere in the suspension, you will get an improvement in handling, but it will come at the expense of ride quality and road noise.  That said, all my AMCs - have urethane or solid bushings throughout - I'd much rather be able to keep up with traffic and have fun at the occassionnal track day than worry about a little vibration or harshness.

348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2013 at 12:18pm
When I rebuilt my suspension in 2005, I used OE spec TRW bushings in the upper and lower control arms. The original bushings were missing a LOT of rubber so I figured even with brand new bushings there was going to be a huge improvement in handeling and ride quality such that spending extra for poly bushings wasnt necessary at that time. Plus all the TRW bushings were in my trunk in the original boxes that came with the car when I bought it..so free is always good.

I did install new springs and Poly front Spring seat pads and the sway bar end link bushings also got the poly treatment.   This I felt would give me the best ride quality along with improvements in handeling and it did exactly what I wanted.

I dont think I would use poly bushings in the control arms unless I belonged to an autocrossing club and tracked the car regularly and wanted to get the maximum benefit of them. But then again, if that were my goal I'd probably just get a control freak suspension and bolt that in.
69amxman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69amxman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2013 at 12:42pm
i did the complete poly bushings on my 69 amx , suspension , trunions , sway bar , rear torgue links , leaf springs and used kyb gas shocks really love the way it handles now and yes it is a stiffer ride but well worth it especially on the highway
69amxr View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69amxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2013 at 4:06pm
Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I decided to go stock rubber on the upper arms and polyurethane on the lower.  My lower bushing was completely gone and I felt maybe the poly would be a bit more durable and I would not suffer too much in the ride area by keeping the upper rubber.  

I am concerned about the lower in one respect however.  I understand how the stock bushings are captured by the frame and the rubber winds up as the arm travels but the poly bushings are confusing.  There is a steel sleeve inside the bushing and it does not seem possible that the bushing will rotate on the sleeve as it is also clamped by the frame section.  If it does rotate against the frame it seems the slotted hole in the frame would cause it to wear quickly.  It seems more likely that the bushing "can" will rotate with respect to the bushing.

Sorry for the long post and confusing description.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic