TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

OFFENHAUSER 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OFFENHAUSER 360
    Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 9:53am
i got a offenhauser 360 dual port intake on my 69 390 i just ordered a hei distrubiter and someone just told me it wont fit the intake is this so and if so  can it be made to accomadate the hei thanks a bunch
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 10:00am
  I've got a 360 with a Offenhauser dual-port intake,  and a DUI-HEI. 
  I don't remember having to do anything.
  Mine's a early manifold, without the EGR, if that makes a difference. 
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
69modjav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69modjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 12:17pm
My brother has a offy 360 and an hei on his 360 in his jeep and they fit just fine.
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 2:06pm
What does the dizzy have to do with an intake on an AMC when the dizzy goes into the front cover?  Methinks someone that told you that doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to an AMC engine
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 2:27pm
Great intake for a stock driver, IMO.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
americanjack View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2013 at 12:45pm
Yes it fits great and to amx39068 it had to do with the cap clearing NOT  the dist hole location .thanks
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2013 at 12:58pm
  It is a tight fit with the large HEI cap and the usual location of the power steering pump,  but it will fit.
  I have the later model Saginaw pump,  I don't know how the clearance would be with the earlier model pump.

Edited by tyrodtom - Mar/03/2013 at 12:58pm
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2013 at 2:11pm
The issue with any dizzy fitting is not with the dizzy so much as its orientation relative to the pump shaft and cam gear. HEI or points, the bottom of the dizzy cap will still be higher than the intake unless the dizzy is rotated in such a way that the bottom of bulges for the cap hold down screws are misaligned front to back instead of more side to side in front of the engine.

A properly aligned dizzy should have the vacuum advance can situated roughly in the middle of its available adjustment travel space (as shown in the second picture) and the cap hold down screws more in front of rather than over the lip of the intake.  When the dizzy is installed at TDC on #1, if the can is too tight against the engine block correct timing will be difficult if not impossible to achieve without moving the plugs one spot over and would also cause the bigger cap from an HEI to potentially bump the hold down screw tabs up against the top of the intake. 

Edited by amx39068 - Mar/03/2013 at 2:13pm
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2013 at 9:07am
  A HEI is a 1 1/4 inch longer in the shaft than a stock distributor,  otherwise that big diameter cap would ground out in several places before you got it seated,  no matter how you orientate it.
  I've got mine with the vacuum advance straight forward, with a right angle fitting on the hose,  and a wire tie to one of the spark plug wires to keep it out of the waterpump pulley.
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2013 at 9:49am
That's why we use a Pertronix III Insert or their full distributor, Mallory Unilite distributor or insert or an MSD self contained unit for the street cars we build.  The choices we make sometimes create some of the problems we have to deal with...kind of like putting too big of a tire size on our cars and then having to do something else so the tire doesn't run on the inner or outer fenders.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic