TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

the cam/distributor gear issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2013 at 4:51pm
The reason there is no hole is so you can drill your own and miss a precious one.  Should be a nice slip on and not a press it.  Look for burrs at the old shaft holes.  Dress them with a fine stone or file.  Most gears I've seen had a single hole on one side.  You use it as a drill guide to go through the shaft and out the other side of the gear.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2013 at 6:28pm
If you want to know what year the timing cover was cast, there is a date code near the eyebrow in the inside.

Edited by SC397 - Feb/11/2013 at 6:28pm
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2013 at 7:04pm
Never worry about where to put the gears on that is what rotating the distributor is all about. Phasing has everything to do with the keyway on the rotor and the rotor ends...not the gear and rotor.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2013 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

The reason there is no hole is so you can drill your own and miss a precious one.  Should be a nice slip on and not a press it.  Look for burrs at the old shaft holes.  Dress them with a fine stone or file.  Most gears I've seen had a single hole on one side.  You use it as a drill guide to go through the shaft and out the other side of the gear.
MSD is the only mfg that makes a gear with only one side drilled through.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
dane View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2013 at 10:18pm

Guess we will drill the gear. The mallory pin hole is not centered to accept their gear that they sell is what I have read!? Kind of silly, should be if you buy a distributor for an amc V8 an amc V8 distributor gear should go right on it without any modification! Sucks to buy a $130 gear set and have to go drilling on one of them right away. I almost just bought a new HEI distributor today just because this is BS! But that unilite cost me a pretty penny back in the day so I'm going stay with it for now!

I'm starting to remember why I just stored this car away 9 years ago now! LOL

Edited by dane - Feb/11/2013 at 10:22pm
1974 Matador Coupe Brougham aka "The Mat"
1975 Matador Coupe Oleg Cassini Edition
1969 Javelin SST (Project Car) - SOLD but not forgotten
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2013 at 10:48pm
Here is something to watch out for.  I can't remember which location Matt Bulltear used.
This is from a couple years ago on another site.............

Learn something new every day...  I went to swap distributor gears from a old Duraspark (motocraft) distributor to a Mallory dual point distributor and it wouldn't fit.  The hole for the roll pin is off by half a hole.  I got to comparing and it looks like they moved the hole about .060" when they went to the Duraspark distributors.  I will have to dig out a Prestolite distributor and see what it looks like.

The one on the left is from a points distributor.  The one on the right is from the Duraspark distributor.

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2013 at 5:47am
I took a look in my '70 TSM and was surprised at how little information there is on distributor rebuilding.  I looked in an '81 GM SM and it addresses removing the gear, but not re-installing it.  I looked in a Chrysler '67 FSM and it has not only a procedure for removing and installing a gear, but a specification for aligning the gear with the rotor.  Why, I don't know.  The gist of the procedure though is to slip the new gear on, align a tooth with the rotor, use a feeler gauge to set the endplay of the shaft, and drill a new hole 90 degrees from the original hole.  FWIW. 

:shruggy:

Edited by 6PakBee - Feb/12/2013 at 5:48am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2013 at 7:18am
IIRC the delco and the prestolite dist. shafts are the same dia. the motorcraft is different .
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
dane View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2013 at 3:39pm
Finally got the gear on the distributor, hope to fire it up tonight. Crossing my fingers!
1974 Matador Coupe Brougham aka "The Mat"
1975 Matador Coupe Oleg Cassini Edition
1969 Javelin SST (Project Car) - SOLD but not forgotten
Charles Smiley View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2013 at 4:51pm
It's funny how seemingly simple stuff balloons into giant projects. Not only are these cars old, they are also orphans making it a strange blend of suffering and then satisfaction when you get it figured out. 

Nowadays, all my neighbors just buy a new car at the first sign of trouble. They get new ones about every 2 years. Usually hideous, foreign "me-too" type disposable cars. See what they are missing out on?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic