TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rod Bushing service for 390...asap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rod Bushing service for 390...asap
    Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 8:25am
Hi ,
 I am in need of a shop that can bush my stock rods from my 68 390. Long of the short, without getting into a ton of detail here is that got my pistons and pins from Bulltear and my engine shop (in the rebuilding biz for over 60 years) is not happy with the pins sizing in the rod. He wants a pressed fit and the pins are able to be pushed out by hand. All my rods are in excellent shape and within factory spec coming from a 65k car that my mother drove as a daily driver. If I can't find a shop that can bush my rods I will need a pin that is 1.0001" as the pin we got from Bulltear is 1.000". Matt could not find anything on his end.

My machine shop, Haledon Auto has done motors for everyone I know from my fathers generation in the hobby and has a stellar reputation. The owner told me that everyone he knows that was in the business that bushed rods is closed up. HelpCry

I am all ears. As always thanks in advance for any help you may have to offer.

Shawn
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 8:30am
Run them full float steel on steel, My engine went 25 yrs with no issue(still look great), when they get bushed you will have to run them full float anyway.

Are the pistons full float?

Plan B View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 8:43am
The pins slide in and out of the pistons with ease and would fall out tilted to the side a bit. Is that what full float means? This is where i get lost not knowing enough basic engine knowledge. Confused
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 8:44am
I admit to not too much experience with this piston pin topic but searching 1.001 wrist pin on the Internet comes up with some stuff. 
Sleeving them means you have two surfaces that can creep and I'd try and stay away from that.
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 8:48am
Clips or locks are used on the piston to retain the pin and it is allowed to spin on both rod and piston
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 9:03am
Bulltear's pistons have pin lock recesses that hold the pins in place.  I have seen Tony's pistons and rods that he ran for 25 years with some very very hard miles and they are indeed still in as good shape as there they were when he first intalled them.  On the other hand, conventional wisdom says you bush the end of the rods when you have floating pins but Tony didn't listen to conventional wisdom and it worked out fine.  

There is a local marine machine shop in Mesa that bushed a set for one of the engines we did a couple of years ago and the cost was around $200 IIRC.  I suspect you may have an issue with your Machine Shop telling you they won't warranty the engine if the rods aren't bushed because they aren't as brave and pioneering as Tony! LOL
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 9:11am
Many import cars are like this from the factory and so was the chevy 302, not a big deal just drill a hole in top of rod and keep clearance at .001-.0015 and it will be fine.
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 9:18am
the shop that does my machining bushes rods.....they did mine.

but just like Tony says will work just fine as long as the pistons have provisions for locks.

http://precisionengine.net/
Plan B View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 10:02am
Dan you are correct sir!
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 11:08am
Wow, $200 to bush the rods! I got a deal at 90 bucks! I don't know if those guys take orders through the mail or not. I used a local shop that has been in service a long time and uses older equipment but they have a great reputation. There are shops in town that you can eat off of the floor basically. I like my good ol' boy shop better. Guys like me that roll in the fancy ones every 4-5 years get second based service as their regulars came first in line. I waited for two weeks on my Ford heads that all they had accomplished was a tear down. They were suppposed to be done in a few days. Those heads actually required a bunch of work that they haven't even taken two seconds to even look at.     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic