TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX coil spring dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX coil spring dilemma
    Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 10:58am
I have a 69 AMX with the Go-Pack and I am assuming the HD suspension. After putting on my 15' skinnies on the front, the car sits a little to high in the front for me. I want to get it down and inch or two. I have purchased American springs from two forum members.

Here's what I got in the car now. If they are heavy duty!
---------10 coils, with car sitting on the ground, 1/2" between each coil.

Here's what I got to replace.

#1.  set out of a 1969 American,
---------both stand 19" off floor, no part numbers, and have 11 coils. (1 more coil than my HD's)

#2. other set 196? American are both different heights, with part numbers.
---------one 18-1/2" off floor #RS-3172895, with 10 coils
---------one 19-1/2" off floor #3169815*RE, with 10 coils  

My dilemma is! If I use #1, the 11 coil springs, and they are lighter duty, the coils may be to closer together and bottom out. 
If I use #2, the are both different heights, and supposedly came out the same car, will my AMX sit crooked?

Does anyone have access to part number look-up to check on the part numbers. I didn't realize that AMC put part numbers on springs.

What do you guys think on this matter?
Thanks for any help.
69 BBG AMX #09007 "If it's to loud! Your to old!:"    jax-AMXpress@msn.com
AMO #1945
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 10:59am
Have you thought about using lowering plates on the front?
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 11:08am
Did you drive the car around to settle it? How could the front be higher just by putting tires on unless they are a lot taller than what you took off?
You left out the spring wire dia.
Guess you dont have a measurement of yours out of the car do you? Kind of talking apples & oranges if not out of the car.
Lowering plates and dont touch the springs. Someone on here is making some looks like $100 + s/h for plates & hardware. see post "lowering bolts".
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
jackdk View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 11:10am
Originally posted by bcsideshow bcsideshow wrote:

Have you thought about using lowering plates on the front?

I have Brian, and I have been reading the threads about them, and that would really do the trick. The only thing I didn't like about the plates was that it kicked the wheels out another 1/4", and I don't want to kick the wheels out any farther since I already need 1/8" for the wheels to clear the caliper. 
AMO #1945
jackdk View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 11:19am
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Did you drive the car around to settle it? How could the front be higher just by putting tires on unless they are a lot taller than what you took off?
You left out the spring wire dia.
Guess you dont have a measurement of yours out of the car do you? Kind of talking apples & oranges if not out of the car.
Lowering plates and dont touch the springs. Someone on here is making some looks like $100 + s/h for plates & hardware. see post "lowering bolts".
Dave ----

Its settled down about as much as its going to be, the tire height is 24-1/2". So they aren't excessively tall.
AMO #1945
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 11:19am
3172895 is 67 05 06 08 09 right side 6 cyl light duty no AC
3169815 is 67-69 01 right 6 light duty no AC

If you have a 69 service manual, check section 12 (I think, its the steering front end section). It lists the wire diameter & load rating of the springs used that year. That info may help you narrow your search.
jackdk View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 11:38am
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

3172895 is 67 05 06 08 09 right side 6 cyl light duty no AC
3169815 is 67-69 01 right 6 light duty no AC

If you have a 69 service manual, check section 12 (I think, its the steering front end section). It lists the wire diameter & load rating of the springs used that year. That info may help you narrow your search.

Thanks for those part numbers Scott...

Why would they use 2 different part numbers on the same car, and difference in spring heights (18.5 & 19.5)? Both springs are listed RS also!

I guess I need to find one more 3169815*RE if I want my car to sit level.
AMO #1945
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 8:56pm
The plates are 1/2" thick so they kick it out even further. good luck. It's a great looking car!
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 9:06pm
you can't tell what happened with the car before the springs were taken out.  For all anybody knows a 400 lb person sat on the side that settled more.  Why not just take cut out a coil and get the height you want.  On the other hand, I find it hard to imagine that they will stay where they currently are.  The last set that settled too much after we cut out a coil out of new 70 AMX springs took nearly a year after which they ended up being too low.  

When I first did my green 68 AMX even though we did not replace the springs it was much higher than before we started due to having the springs unloaded for a couple of years.  It now sits where I like it but it took a couple of years to get back where it started.

Edited by amx39068 - Jan/29/2013 at 9:07pm
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
jackdk View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

you can't tell what happened with the car before the springs were taken out.  For all anybody knows a 400 lb person sat on the side that settled more.  Why not just take cut out a coil and get the height you want.  On the other hand, I find it hard to imagine that they will stay where they currently are.  The last set that settled too much after we cut out a coil out of new 70 AMX springs took nearly a year after which they ended up being too low.  

When I first did my green 68 AMX even though we did not replace the springs it was much higher than before we started due to having the springs unloaded for a couple of years.  It now sits where I like it but it took a couple of years to get back where it started.

What I'm saying, or asking Dan. If I use the springs that you sent me, with the two DISTINCT different heights, do the members think my car will sit crooked.(I do). OR! The other 6 cylinder springs with one extra coil (11 compared to my 10) Will the coils be almost touching, and bottom out because the spring is weaker. I don't want to go through all that work, and then have either one of the problems.

I wish you had just sent me the springs out of your American, instead of a pair dropped off by Kirk.

As far as cutting a coil out. I talked to Laura at Springs 'n Things about that. She told me NEVER cut a coil spring. It takes the temper out of the metal, and could cause big problems. So I'll take her word for it. 

Or, hopefully, I can find another spring out of an American with either of the two part numbers in the original post. I think that's my best hope right now...
AMO #1945
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic