TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX coil spring dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 10:26am
Originally posted by JavmanBBG JavmanBBG wrote:

if you want an idea of what 45 yer old 6cyl springs will look like with VW front tires here are pics of my car with its original 6cyl springs and all of that long spring is shoved up in there. the newer MT street tires for skinnys I would use now are taller and would gain a little more GC and should sit above the wheel opening.   Also if you have headers they will bottom well before the springs will but the polly strut bar bushings and 90/10 shocks helped that issue out a bit and a deep pan may not work.

I still sit about where my friends drag car with newer v8 springs and cut his springs a good bit, but higher than a tube chassis car

here is a good comparison

I also used -1" caltracs springs in the rear and 275 50 15s

Thanks javmanBBG! That is the look I'm after! When I put a straight edge out from the top of my tire, I have 3" to the top of the wheel well openning. WAY to much clearance to suit me. Do you know off hand, how many coils are in your springs? and how much distance between each coil? Mine are 10 coils, 1/2" gap between each. I hope one of these days I can find the 90/10's for 68/69. They are impossable to come buy.

Nice car BTW, and what a great group shot! Thumbs Up

69 BBG AMX #09007 "If it's to loud! Your to old!:"    jax-AMXpress@msn.com
AMO #1945
JavmanBBG View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavmanBBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2013 at 3:15am
if you want 90/10s you can use something like this http://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Pro-Comp-690001-Adapter/dp/B002SJBXPC

as for the springs there is not much space between the coils and I broke the stock replacement style shocks form them bottoming out.  I Wold consider 90/10 shocks necessary for my car as to keep from bashing the headers on bridge transfers and RR tracks I have to accelerate over them so the front lifts and the shocks keep it in the air since the settle back out slowly.   Also the springs have enough force to fully extend with a hard launch witch while fun is also pretty violent, I could never get below a 2.2 60' because I need limiter straps to keep the front end from coming up too far witch breaks the tires loose when it tops out and unloads. 
JavmanBBG View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavmanBBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2013 at 10:36pm
I count 11 coils but the V8 set I was going to use that came out of a buddies S/C Rambler also have 11 coils and sit 18 1/4" with no cups

fingertips space between all coils and 5" between the spring tool holes so there compressed ~11" with just the load of the car on them

shock travel about 2 1/2" to the bumpers (I think I need shorter shocks and limiter straps)

I have the smaller sized sway bar and it sits at a pretty good angle may need shorter end links but it seems to work

Edited by JavmanBBG - Feb/03/2013 at 10:42pm
jackdk View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2013 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by JavmanBBG JavmanBBG wrote:

I count 11 coils but the V8 set I was going to use that came out of a buddies S/C Rambler also have 11 coils and sit 18 1/4" with no cups

fingertips space between all coils and 5" between the spring tool holes so there compressed ~11" with just the load of the car on them

shock travel about 2 1/2" to the bumpers (I think I need shorter shocks and limiter straps)

I have the smaller sized sway bar and it sits at a pretty good angle may need shorter end links but it seems to work

So you have the 6 cyl springs in yours. The coils look a lot closer together than mine. I can get my fingers in between my coils up to my middle knuckle, and have 8-1/4" between the spring tool holes. I have another friend that has a 6 cyl Javelin. He is going to check his coils tomorrow. Do you have any problem with your springs, or shocks bottoming out? I'd be happy if I can get mine to sit where yours is...

Thanks for the pics... This sure does give me something to go by, as that one set of American springs are 11 coil...
69 BBG AMX #09007 "If it's to loud! Your to old!:"    jax-AMXpress@msn.com
AMO #1945
BBO Steve View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 7:18am
I see mentions of lowering plates and lowering bolts, I want to lower the front of my 69 javelin and would like to know more, pictures would help also.
aussierogue View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussierogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2019 at 5:18am
What 90/10's were you modding the Explorer Pro Adapter to?  I've looked for 1969 AMX 90/10's and there is nothing out there.  I'm thinking 74 Charger with one of the adapters.  What that they same way you went?
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2019 at 2:54pm
No 90/10 Info, but for reference this is Gabriel Shock Info for '69 AMX

Gabriel - "Classic"
          Front           82069 Classic - Gas
          Rear            82155 Classic - Gas

#82069 Front 
                   Extended     Collapsed                              Mtg Code                  Dust
notes           Length         Length         Stroke         Upper          Lower          Tube
a,c               14.59           9.31             5.28             S1               S1               Yes

#82155 Rear
                   Extended     Collapsed                             Mtg Code                  Dust
notes           Length         Length         Stroke         Upper          Lower          Tube
c                 20.70           12.34           8.36             S1               EB1             Yes

a = Recoil Cutoff construction
b = Compression Bumper construction - collapsed length shown at bumper contact
c = Slim Design for limited environment application

S1 = Stud Mount = 2.37 Length, 1.37 thread length, 3/8 stud dia, 3/8-24 Thread
EB1 = Eyering & Bushing = hole for 5/8 Bolt / Stud, 1.44 free width, 1.31 compressed

Bore = 1-3/16", Shield O.D. = 2-1/16", Body O.D. = 1-5/8"
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussierogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2019 at 5:19am
Thanks mate.  I contacted Calvert and they only do 70 onwards.  Closest I can find are some adjustable ones for 74 Charger.  
jblue1555 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblue1555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2019 at 5:37am
785-376-6328 call this number they will make you some springs
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussierogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 9:51pm
So I found these shocks.  Viking make a 90/10 to suit 68-69 amx.  2 way adjustable.

B338xx  - the xx is what sort of shock you want.  DL is for drag lower horsepower (under 600HP)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic