TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 SC Journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 92939495>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 11:54am
Steve,

Thanks for the compliments.  Well right now, I am prepping the car for its first outdoor debut at Concours D'Elegance of America this coming Sunday in Michigan.  I am honored to be requested to attend and represent the entire AMC community in the Class of '69 category.  I am still chasing some nagging issues on the car, and I hope all goes well to get it on the showfield for this event.  Michigan - we need rainfree weather please!

Longer term plans are to take what opportunities the car hobby presents to me to represent the AMC Flag as an Ambassador in the hobby.  I recognize that this build has put me and this now very popular model of AMC in a position to represent our chosen marque in venues that were not as open to us in the past.  I am not interested in club or event awards and plan to attend just for the pure enjoyment of it and for those that attend.  A smile is the best reward.

As time goes by I plan to start driving it more on selective days but try to maintain it well.  As I stated here on an earlier page, the car is being given back to the hobby to be used where it best can be of service, with me being its ever watchful caretaker.

Hope to see many of you at the Chilson Reunion next month!
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
Rogue343 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2019 at 8:29am
Kevin, how did your trip to Michigan go?  Any pics?
1967 Rambler Rogue 'X' code 343 4 speed
1966 Rambler American 440 4 door Factory 290 (now 360) 4 speed VIN 100003
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2019 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Rogue343 Rogue343 wrote:

Kevin, how did your trip to Michigan go?  Any pics?

Sorry Howard to keep you hanging.  First off, I discovered the week before while finally putting the car through final steps to move out of the shop, that we had a major clutch engagement problem.  Right now the car won't go into gear.  We have since figured out what it is, and with a couple hurdles but also a very helpful group of people we got the car positioned at the event.  The transmission has to be pulled away from the bellhousing and a modification installed.  I have made a deliberate decision to do nothing with it until after the Chilson Reunion so it makes one more trip as a lame duck, but the 50th Anniversary event cannot be missed, and this job needs the patience of Job and I need to design / fab a special part for it.  I will explain that better at a later time.

Now to respond to your question!  The Concours d'Elegance of America in Plymouth, MI is an outstanding event.  Hands down.  I've attended a lot of shows over a period of 35 years, and I am blessed to live only 33 miles from the Fall Hershey AACA annual event, and can say that this show was a lot of fun to attend.

The event's committees seek out cars to fill each of their feature classes and invites attendees accordingly.  The SC/Rambler was asked to attend and participate in the special HURST class.  In our group of (7) I was the lone AMC among Hurst Olds.  On one side of me was the prototype '69 Hurst Olds and on the other side was the special '69 Hurst Olds convertible parade car for Linda Vaughn.

Our class was parked in a very visible spot and of course the RWB flanks of the SC/Rambler called to all show attendees.  It was a pleasure to engage curious visitors that either smiled knowing full well what it was, and were thinking back to the last time they saw one, drove one, or were beat by one, or they asked great questions trying to understand that it was indeed representing exactly what Hurst and AMC offered from the factory.

Photos I took are below, but you may also be interested in the article published last Friday by Hagerty:

Of special note on the photos below.  Note that the SC/Rambler and the Prototype '69 Olds were placed nose to nose.....  Look closely at the decals on the Olds that never made it to production... or did it?....

(The show within the show)

Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
Rogue343 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2019 at 8:23am
Nice article by Hagerty.  Way to represent, Kevin.  Look forward to seeing you at Chilson's.
1967 Rambler Rogue 'X' code 343 4 speed
1966 Rambler American 440 4 door Factory 290 (now 360) 4 speed VIN 100003
Leigh View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2021 at 6:53pm
Hello Kevin,
I'm getting close to painting these pieces. The areas that are mating to other pieces I notice you don't have paint at the holes. So you tapped out obviously these areas. My question is, did you just leave raw sandblasted steel and coat with grease or something else? Thank you, Leigh
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2021 at 10:59pm
Leigh I don't know what you are referring to.  No context to the question.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
Goodtimes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodtimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2021 at 12:00pm
Kevin, Just finished reading your journey, something like my 69 AMX ,bought in 71, married in 76, parked the AMX in77 didn't  see light until 2008, finished 2016. You realy set the bar high on this build, great job.
Question, where did you get the plans for the rotisserie, seems like a good unit, I have a 68 AMX to do and my age is against me for crawling on the ground and kneeling.
69 AMX 290 4spd leather
68 AMX 390 A/T 70 front
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2021 at 6:46am
Originally posted by Goodtimes Goodtimes wrote:

Kevin, Just finished reading your journey, something like my 69 AMX ,bought in 71, married in 76, parked the AMX in77 didn't  see light until 2008, finished 2016. You realy set the bar high on this build, great job.
Question, where did you get the plans for the rotisserie, seems like a good unit, I have a 68 AMX to do and my age is against me for crawling on the ground and kneeling.

I had purchased a set of plans off ebay after considering doing the design myself.  But the digital download of full cut list drawings and Bill of Materials for hardware, etc was too cheap to worry about spending hours on the CAD system myself.

It does seem like there are more options to purchase one for $1000 - $1500 than when I made mine in 2010.  Eastwood sells a decent one for about $1000.

Considering the price of steel increases this year, if you can snag an on stock unit that was made before all these crazy raw material price increases hit - you will be better off - but I wouldn't wait.  Also wouldn't hurt to do a quick check locally for marketplace / craigslist - if you are real lucky and find the post right after it goes up you might snag a deal locally.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
Goodtimes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodtimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2021 at 10:07am
Thanks Kevin, have been looking, as scarce as hens teeth, will look at Eastwoods
69 AMX 290 4spd leather
68 AMX 390 A/T 70 front
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2021 at 11:31am
What a beautiful restoration!  Will you and the car be at Colorado Springs, Kevin?

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 92939495>
  Share Topic