TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 SC Journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 95>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2013 at 8:50pm
Anthony - you are still in college and working to put yourself through right? ( BTW, sorry about that big Penn State win Saturday, go blue&white!). You won't have much time for a while. When the education is over and you can settle into a singular job and some free time in the evening, things will get done, at least until little Anthony's come along!

If you read the start of this posting, you'll see that for decades I had little time to spend. Life has a way of having busier and slower time periods in it for all of us. Just take advantage of those slower times to do what you love.

I worked yesterday to get the inside of the right door and underside of the trunk lid under primer. Now it is time to clean the shop up for the picnic. No new work until after next weekend. But by then, I'll have a nice uncluttered and clean shop to work in over fall and winter months!      
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2013 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by kcsamc kcsamc wrote:

Anthony - you are still in college and working to put yourself through right? ( BTW, sorry about that big Penn State win Saturday, go blue&white!). You won't have much time for a while. When the education is over and you can settle into a singular job and some free time in the evening, things will get done, at least until little Anthony's come along!

If you read the start of this posting, you'll see that for decades I had little time to spend. Life has a way of having busier and slower time periods in it for all of us. Just take advantage of those slower times to do what you love.

I worked yesterday to get the inside of the right door and underside of the trunk lid under primer. Now it is time to clean the shop up for the picnic. No new work until after next weekend. But by then, I'll have a nice uncluttered and clean shop to work in over fall and winter months!      

When your post has so much consolidated information, it can make some think you done a lot over night. For me I understand, as it has been almost a decade and I have not gotten down to doing body work and paint.

I think it is all about getting every thing you may need first and foremost, as availability becomes more and more scarce. My wife enjoyed the trips we took to get this and that. So time with the AMC, was with the wife.

Not very many wives will allow a non running car and parts to sit about taking room and such for years on end. Though I am sure some have had a few words about it time to time, until there has been noticeable improvements in clutter and the cars appearance.

Though, when getting a telling about how much time you spend with the car... you can always defend yourself with, but you wanted me to clean things up a bit and get the darn car running. :o)

TommyZ View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TommyZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2013 at 11:05pm
I just went through the 19 pages of this thread and I am so impressed.  Obviously about the work you are doing, but more importantly what you are doing with your son.  I envy you you.  
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2013 at 10:39pm
So after a week of shop cleanup, we are back working on projects on the car. Great picnic Saturday, shame the "car" season has come to a close now, but time on the Scrambler should increase. Wish the temperature would stay in the 60s all winter!

Eric has decided he wants his "senior" project to be the complete restoration of the rear end, so we have started the research to get him ready to do that. He wants to get into some mechanical work before heading off to college. I will be continuing on the body and working to get ready for paint in 2014.

We've been making new dirt this week in the evenings. LOL tonight I spent over 2 hours hand sanding the primer / glazing filler in the pits along the inside of the door edges and the finishing work around the lead repair completed the other week. Sure glad I'm not paying someone else to be this anal...
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2013 at 9:39pm
Weekend update: We got some time in the shop this weekend.

First up, was to get Eric setup to start the detailed analysis of the rear end before teardown. It is now sitting on its stands for winter while Eric digs in. I am hoping he will start posting his work over the winter here and what he is finding. Friday, we got the Model 20 Rebuild video from "Route66" here on forum and made it our Friday night movie screening event! Great resource video - highly recommend. Still deciding how much we will tackle on our own verses getting help - may depend on tool availability...

I continued on some tedious hand sanding on the inside of the door and trunk lid Saturday, that I had started earlier in the week. I will post the results of the trunk project as a separate posting later this week since it is a mini-thread of its own. Below I am recapping the progress of fixing the rust through on the bottom of the door: as blasted / leaded / finishing to date:

I am not 100% satisfied yet, but I now feel like it is close enough that I will get it there. Pictured here late Saturday after re-priming. This door was in worse shape than I thought it was before starting on it, and still working through some other issues with it to get it where I want it to be.

Front crossmember is back from stick welding and I've got it under priming, and even starting sanding out rust pits, scrapes and bruises today. Pictured here is the first pass on priming. From how it is sanding out, this will be turning out awesome very soon. I've got to then decide what colorization I want to use to simulate bare metal. If anyone else has gone through the analysis of paint options for the "bare metal" look - please let me know, I'd like not to reinvent the wheel on everything.

And finally, before wrapping up the weekend, I got the trunk lid flipped over, and since it was Frost White (this is a '66 replacement lid), I decided to throw down a dusting of black primer to do a handblocking on the original paint surface, to locate trouble spots before a full mechanical strip next week. I know there are some dimples that I felt, but I think this pre-step will ID all the problems quickly and fully. Looks camo!
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2013 at 5:34am
Kevin,

Strip the rear end in a billion pieces...clean it all, get you clutch pack kit and bearings.....put it in the car and come down for a visit.. I all the tools, boxes of pinion and carrier shims and all misc parts you may run into.  We can put it back in one piece and then take home and finish in the hue you desire.  I just got done doing two other and have a third here right now for the once over to go in the son's 70 Jav.  Just took the car to paint yesterday..doing all the mechanicals with it gets sprayed.

Ross
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2013 at 8:42pm
Ross - sounds like a plan. Will look forward to it. Found out tonight that our ace ex-dealer AMC mechanic here still has a hub puller we can borrow for disassembly, so that is a big plus.

Tonight I did the quick "pre-block" against the original Frost White on the replacement decklid.

Hmmm. Not what I was hoping for.... Looks like a skim coat coming up after stripping. It had some dents along the drop section, but it looks like between the framing some flex dropping has occurred. Just a little too much to try to prime and block sand out.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2013 at 9:36pm
So I had promised a while back to double back on a thread line of the work necessary on the replacement trunk. Most everyone knows that the trunk has an all important date stamping very visible for observation on all Americans. The original trunk lid has some rust / dent issues, and I decided not to try to use it due to the heavy rust reconstruction that would be necessary. I did however, want to bring the date coding with the new trunk. Original trunk (5/6/69):

Cut out and overlayed original date coding piece on donor trunk:

Exact positioning marked for cut out (note date on donor trunk is missing the year (5/26):

Cut open:

Recessed lip made to drop the transplant piece into:

At this point I proceeded to weld the piece in. Not recommended for anyone else trying it unless you have TIG. This inner brace material is quite thin, and I had all kinds of blowout trouble until I eventually got it closed off. If I was doing it over again I would completely seal it in place with the 3M 2 part panel bond. I eventually got it, and just the other week we got the inside of the trunk lid primed for the first time and this area all blended in:

This weekend I got the top surface DA stripped, and laid down a skim coat of filler to air board smooth in the coming week or so. LOL, probably 90% of this will disappear through sanding, but a good way to provide a complete workable material for taking care of all low spots in one sanding, minimizing filler waves.

Bringing panels up to restoration status and identical to original is tedious and time consuming work. I think I like the challenge
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2013 at 10:03pm
Several sessions over the last couple days, making a layer of dust everywhere in the shop, the trunk is now super smooth from air boarding with 36, and handblocking with 80 grit.

These panels are just not level smooth from the factory. In most areas along the edges there are high and low areas. I can even see them in the 64 Classic trunk. Interestingly, you will see mirror image imperfections from the stampings on both sides.

I felt this was better than priming and blocking way too many times, and having a more stable building material. Most areas are very thin and transparent. This panel should turn out really nice.

Tonight I also welded two additional small cracks on the right door and ground them down. There were a total of five areas that were cracking around the vent window on the door sheetmetal, and unless you strip it all down - you won't see them until they have really spread into the visible areas beyond the rubber.

Priming coat probably this weekend for door and trunk.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2013 at 10:21pm
Weekend progress: a local AMC friend stopped by Saturday to view progress and to consult on the restoration / reconstruction of the 3194331 radiator I purchased from "oldamcer" this summer. The Scrambler came with a beat up and bowed 3190479 three core radiator (probably from its racing days), which will now donate its rare and hard to get three core bottom tank to turn the 3194331 into a 3 core after a full restoration / recoring. Todd will restore the tanks to as new condition as he has done a bunch of these in the past. This will probably be a parallel winter project as we start the restoration of other pieces also.

We lost power at the house in the afternoon Saturday, couldn't work in the shop, so we ended up doing yard work in the 60+ degree day we had here instead.

This afternoon, I got busy and finished feathering out the filler on the door dents, and then moved on to wash primer and first layer of 2k for hard blocking through this week. Didn't think about it until after I finished, I only have to wash primer and initial 2k prime the door jambs, and trunk floor. All other panels, including the (2) NOS ones yet to come have all been prepped to this level to date. Starting to see that spec of light at the end of the body work tunnel. If we can get the new panels on over winter, paint will FINALLY come in 2014!

If all works out as planned, I am expecting an early Christmas present this week via freight for the Scrambler. Hope to post a picture or two if it is as anticipated!
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 95>
  Share Topic