TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

79 Spirit Moonroof

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 Spirit Moonroof
    Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 12:34pm
ITS NOT REALLY THE LEAKING PART-----I NEED TWO PLASTIC HINGES - THEY BROKE BOTH OFF. WHERE CAN I GET 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ANY IDEAS. OR BASICALLY WHAT SUNROOF COMPANY THAT IS KNOWLEDGABLE ABOUT HARDWARE.

Have 4 AMC's, try to learn  alot about the different kinds, like alot of the interior from a Gremlin will fit a Hornet, Spirit, etc. but mine has a moonroof and it leaks. Ive seen weatherstripping for doors, etc, etc. but what about a moonroof? I know nothing about it. How do I get it to stop leaking? Weatherstrip? Windshield cilicone??

Edited by matador64 - Jan/11/2013 at 9:04am
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 7:49am
Kinda need more information. Sunroofs can leak from a multitude of reasons.
Poor fitting parts- some is these sunroofs leaked when they were brand new
Weatherstrip is old, cracked, shrinking has taken place
Caulking or seam sealer under & around the edges is always a major issue. Seam sealer shrinks & drys out with age, cracks allow water to seep under the top edge of the frame and leak into the car.
Another issue is poor fit. Most sunroofs were not of the same contour as the roof of the vehicle, thus making sure the caulking/seam sealer was complete under the frame edge(s) was impossible to guarantee.
In most cases, in the shop that I work at you need to try & pinpoint the issue. Two people, one inside with a flashlight while the other person is hosing the car down. Were is the leak?  If the leak is on the inside of the frame, most likely a weatherstrip or mis-alignment of the glass. If the leak is on the outside of the frame and on the headliner, the most likely issue is he caulking under the frame lip on the outside of the roof.  Removal of the entire sunroof assembly is needed to replace the caulking.
Hope that helps.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 9:11am
To do this by yourself, turn the heater on full blast, (temperature setting on low, unless it is cold out and you want to keep warm LOL), close all of the doors, roll up all the windows and use a soapy water solution in a spray bottle. Watch for bubbles and you've located your leaks.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

matador64 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 6:13am
I appreciate replies. Not only does it leak, but the plastic hinges, snapped off both sides too. I know AMC stuff is hard to get, where in the world am I going to get those!!!!!!!!!!
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 7:21am
Originally posted by matador64 matador64 wrote:

I appreciate replies. Not only does it leak, but the plastic hinges, snapped off both sides too. I know AMC stuff is hard to get, where in the world am I going to get those!!!!!!!!!!

Not a lot of choices
1. Find another car with the same sunroof for parts ( yeah right, not very easy)
2. Contact a local auto professional vendor (store) that sells aftermarket sunroofs. Depending on how knowledgeable the salesman is, he may know how to track down some replacement parts. This was the case I had with an aftermarket sunroof in a customer's car. It took 2 weeks but there were some replacement hinges located for me. (p.s.  the original sunroof manufacture had been out of business for over 15 yrs)
3. Replace your sunroof with an aftermarket unit. Usually with a unit that is slightly larger than what is in your car. If will be aftermarket, but still a working sunroof
4. Last but not least, eliminate the sunroof. This would obviously be very expensive to either patch the roof with a welded in patch panel or replace the roof from another vehicle.

Although not the best option, I have had to complete this task for a few customers with the old style flip-up factory installed sunroofs. The customers restored the cars & would not consider eliminating the factory sunroof. When all options to repair were exhausted the decision was made to remove the sunroof, clean, paint, caulk and reinstall the sunroof. The frame was slightly modified to have the glass permanently installed. Urethane was used to install the glass. We removed the rubber seal and built up a double layer of urethane so the glass would sit at the correct height. Once installed no one ever looked close enough to see that the rubber gasket was removed and replaced with black urethane.

Hope some of the suggestions help!
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 7:41am
My car's sunroof starter leaking at some point when teh previous owner had it, and they replaced it with a new unit. The new one is very similar in looks to the original, but built much nicer. the size is very close to original if not exactly the same.
AMO Newsletter Editor
matador64 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 7:54am

My AMX has the factory Sun/Moonroof. The leaking isn't the main concern, as obviously there is weatherstripping that looks pretty easy to install. On mine the 2 plastic hinges broke slap off. Obviously there are 2 plug bolts that go through the glass and some small screws under the weatherstrip that attached the other end of the hinges. Its just the where in the world do I get two of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 8:17am
There was a factory kit to replace the broken latches. I've had a few over the years but none now. They turn up from time to time at shows and on the internet.
AMO Newsletter Editor
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic