TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Australian motorsport AMC's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2013 at 6:18am
Cool,but I'm still wondering what happened to the red one, if old Ron was 70 on 1993, he would be getting on a bit now, wonder where the car is now? Havng someting like that to run around in your paddock in would be one of life's greatest experiences I reckon. You can see how cars like that influenced modern day sprint cars.

Edited by WesternRed - Mar/29/2013 at 6:20am
Ray Bell View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2013 at 7:12am
He could well still be flinging it around his property...

1993 is pretty 'modern' by the way. it might even be the rear of an old body off a sprint car.

70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 6:13am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Here is that photo of the Scott Dillan Rambler Classic from 70Hornet:

Talked to Scott Dillon yesterday. What a top bloke. He is in his late 80's and some of the things he has done is amazing. Makes my life seem very dull and boring but as he said "we only hold ourselves back from doing what we want to do. Get out and do whatever you want to do and give it 100% coz once you are gone you are dead for a very long time". He was a champion boxer in the 50's, top class surfer and surfboard maker, was heavily involved in spear fishing and was a very successful speedway racer in Speedcars and sedans in Australia, travelling to America with Mike Raymond racing tour etc. 2 of his sons are/or have been a part of the Crusty Demons motorbike stunt show. We talked about all sorts of things and the Rambler was only mentioned a handful of times coz some of the other stuff we were talking about was so interesting. (he is looking for a Ghost writer to put his story together if anyone out there knows of some-one in this field) The Rambler classic was one of the 1st cars to have mostly fibreglass panels (his previous Holden EH speedway car which won the very first big sedan 100 lapper was the first). Many speedway racers got him to build their fibreglass sedan, speedcar and super modified bodies which nearly overtook his Scott Dillon surfboards. He was sponsored by Grenville motors whom he remembers sold Mercedes as well. Scott didn't have too much to do with the set-up of the car other then making the fibreglass panels. Amazingly he only has 1 photo of it at the Sydney Showground but I have left an email with an Australian vintage speedway photo website to look out for any of Scott's Rambler or any other Ramblers that may have torn up the speedways of the late 60's early 70's.  Was great chatting with him and I hope to do it again so if you have any specific questions to ask about the Rambler pop me a private message and I will ask him next time and put it all together in a future post.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 6:06pm
Let's get some of these hillclimb photos up.

First one is Ray Sprague's AMX, very well know car at the Mount Tarrengower hill climb and at other events around Victoria, this one is an import I believe, not to be confused with the Aussie spec car that he has had from new. These photos are from 2008:

Here is some youtube footage from the same event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVDh5-1IPKY

and first up on this video from the Eddington sprints in 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gYRE62ZsTE

Found a picture of this AMX at Tarrengower in 2009, don't have any details though:

This next car is  Goran Troselj's 1970 Aussie Javelin #23 running at the Rob Roy hilclimb in Victoria, the car is running a 390, 4 speed combination. Last I heard the car had been sold to a new owner, so not sure what it's doing now.

Edited by WesternRed - Jul/13/2017 at 9:04pm
Ray Bell View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2013 at 5:59am
Good hillclimb action shots there...
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 7:48am
Yeah I agree. Ace shots westernred! That's what this thread is about. AMC's being driven (or at least have been driven) in anger Tongue Good stuff
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2013 at 4:51am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Found a picture of this AMX at Tarrengower in 2009, don't have any details though:

There is a picture of this car in Restored Cars #179 Page 38. Says "This 1970 AMX is owned by Ray Sprague of North Melbourne". 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2013 at 6:35pm
Ah, so it is, he must have left the red one home that year, sounds like he has a bit of a collection going.
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2013 at 4:46am
Rob Roy Hillclimb in Victoria was on again on sunday June 23rd. Anyone know if any AMC's had another crack and have any photo's by chance? Saw an ad for it last week in Herald Sun. I think ANYONE can have a go at it and you can even enter teams. Wonder if we should try an AMC team one year just for the fun of it Smile
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2013 at 8:44am
From Mopar Sunday:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
  Share Topic