TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Improve Fuel Economy on 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 8:51am
I would consider a high torque cam, a small 4bbl, about 350 rear gear, and an OD trans.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 9:13am
Great discussion. All I know after 4 years of engineering college with calc, thermo, stats, ect. a good old fashion vacuum gauge and timing light with Petronius point replacement I keep my 65 GTO with 10:75 compression and tri power carb setup ping free. As stated earlier it takes an incremental approach to keep it street-able with today's fuel and I do have to fuss with it a couple of times a summer. I am not concerned about mileage but pre detonation even with forged pistons

I used to chart and journal what I was doing to create a base line but the fuel is so laced with ethanol over the last 4 years that the base line was invalid because I could not return to it. Cripes now I wonder what I did with the little note book?

My Pontiac owners manual requires 100 octane premium.

Edited by gtoman_us - Nov/24/2012 at 9:14am
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 10:12am
I'm suprised no one suggested adding a valley oil line........   Wink
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

I'm suprised no one suggested adding a valley oil line........   Wink

lol LOL
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 12:11pm
what does that have to do with MPG? ohh  youre making a joke i get it now lol
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 12:32pm
SCTVGUY1 before go getting into rod length ratios and combustion dwell and hemispherical vs wedge head desisn and burn characteristics or the  ability to convert into brown gas burning you might just wnna look into a simple water injection system . JC Whitney and Sears and others used to sell alot of them and i can tell you that i installed more than a few of them at the Jeep dealership on grand wagonners and big jeeps in the past . If you just google water injection for cars it will tell ya  all about it. Maybe im an old fart at 46 but i used to work on cars with carbs and points  as well as todays newer injected supercharged  or turbo aspirated vehicles. Keep it simple as your car is  simple . You dont need one of those $400 dollar kits either  $50 old style kits just had a water bag  and a vacuum T to plug into ported vacuum[port above throttle plate] and would use vacuum to draw in water or widshield washer solvent. We did ALOT of these in the past and could run @16 degrees advance without problems  on stock motors and the extra lead timing really woke up the motor and made more efficient. Supposed to be a new spark plug design coming out tht I heard is gonna be relevant as well not just Splitfyre hype.
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 4:06pm
Also, stock specs are just a baseline.  when an engine has miles on it, the engines requirements changes, (For example, the timing chain will stretch and retard the timing, once it does that then stock specs go out the window)...............So, you have to advance the timing..............
Charles Smiley View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 4:51pm
With such low mileage on a car that old it begs the question... How much would you really save on total fuel cost anyhow? Whatever you spend has to have a payoff point in the near future to justify the costs.

With the crappy "green" fuel they have here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, I've had to increase the jetting on my 401 just to keep it from pinging. And I already have done a lot to make it more efficient, electronic ignition, headers, carb, intake, cam selection etc...
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by gwryder gwryder wrote:

Years ago, for a project with one of my electronics classes, I made a poor fuel economy minder. Mine used comparators, a vacuum can to turn on a red, yellow or green LEd depending on the manifold vacuum.

A simple one can be made with a vacuum can, micro-switch and LED. The idea behind this is to have the LED turn on when the vacuum drops to the level the carb's power enrichment system comes into play (~ 8-10"Hg). I put mine on a 1980 Pontiac Phoenix and it worked really well, but was hard to drive without the LED coming on.
My old 82 Caprice had a simple vacuum gauge as a fuel economy meter - no LED, just an analogue sweep. If I kept the needle at max as much as possible, the vehicle's fuel mileage went up.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by gtoman_us gtoman_us wrote:

My Pontiac owners manual requires 100 octane premium.
What octane does the car require? Smile
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic