TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

flash-o-matic problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdmsbm97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flash-o-matic problems
    Posted: Nov/16/2012 at 8:23pm
Hi all, I'm new to the AMC scene. I recently aquired a 1964 Rambler 770 classic 2dr hardtop 327 with the floor shifted flash-o-matic. Car has 48,000 original miles. Car is all original. The problem:   The transmission will not go into gear till you warm it up for at least 10 minutes. When going from park to reverse or drive, there is about a 6 second delay before it goes in. Seems to vibrate bad when going into reverse. Going down the road seems ok, till it goes up a hill, then it slips. The suspected culprit according to the previous owner is the adjustable vacuum modulator/solenoid. Upon inspection I noticed it has been siliconed where the wire goes into the can. It leaks tranny fluid. Tried adjusting it several times turning in and out but with no effect. Changed fluid/cleaned filter.The car shifted fine till the previous owner messed with this modulator. Have done hours of researching on this and stumbled upon this forum. I can't find a replacement. Found a rebuild kit for it, but the company wants $198 for it. What are my alteratives here. Does anyone know where I can find another without ripping my old one apart? Is there something else wrong with the transmission ? I am in Maine and there is little to no help with this problem here. Thanks in advance. Sorry for such a long post.Confused
Sergeant_Fluffy_Duck View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sergeant_Fluffy_Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 4:31pm
Hello rdmsbm97 - Congrats on the purchase.  I actually picked up the same car last week only without an engine/trans in it.  I've been a GM guy for awhile and just got back into AMC but I had the same problem with a TH400.  It ended up being the internal pump.  It also had worn clutch discs when I tore it down to rebuild it so I replaced them also.  If I were you I would search all the salvage yards in search and keep your eyes out on backroads for AMCs just sitting around.  Maybe you'll be able to pick up a working trans, swap it out, and rebuild the bad one so you have a spare.  On the other hand....if you don't mind it sitting for awhile get a rebuild kit and manual and freshen it up.  Good luck.  Also, if you need any parts there is a wagon version of our car with a 6cyl in a salvage yard a half mile away from me.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by rdmsbm97 rdmsbm97 wrote:

Hi all, I'm new to the AMC scene. I recently aquired a 1964 Rambler 770 classic 2dr hardtop 327 with the floor shifted flash-o-matic. Car has 48,000 original miles. Car is all original. The problem:   The transmission will not go into gear till you warm it up for at least 10 minutes. When going from park to reverse or drive, there is about a 6 second delay before it goes in. Seems to vibrate bad when going into reverse. Going down the road seems ok, till it goes up a hill, then it slips. The suspected culprit according to the previous owner is the adjustable vacuum modulator/solenoid. Upon inspection I noticed it has been siliconed where the wire goes into the can. It leaks tranny fluid. Tried adjusting it several times turning in and out but with no effect. Changed fluid/cleaned filter.The car shifted fine till the previous owner messed with this modulator. Have done hours of researching on this and stumbled upon this forum. I can't find a replacement. Found a rebuild kit for it, but the company wants $198 for it. What are my alteratives here. Does anyone know where I can find another without ripping my old one apart? Is there something else wrong with the transmission ? I am in Maine and there is little to no help with this problem here. Thanks in advance. Sorry for such a long post.Confused
I recommend that you get a service manual for your car, commonly called a Technical Service Manual or TSM.   The transmission section has a pretty good list of the symptoms and causes for transmission problems. Your probably might only be worn bands which can somewhat be remedied by proper band adjustments.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 4:56pm

I'll let the fellows deal with the more complicated answers regarding rebuilding and adjustment...I'll tackle the easy question - what sort of fluid are you using, and what sort of fluid (if known) did the previous owner use?

rdmsbm97 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdmsbm97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 6:22pm
The previous owner used Dextron 3. Always had. I used the same. Cleaned filter as I could not find a replacement, only the gasket. Filter was cleaned with brake clean and blown off with compressed air. I found another modulator/solenoid and will try that. I am also planning on using a type of transmission seal conditioner that softens seals. If that doesn't work I will pull the tranny and take it apart and see what's going on in there. I assume the transmission has never been cracked open and being 48 years old all the seals have probably dried out. The car has pretty much sat in a garage for most of its life.I have an original TSM and it seems very detailed. I will post my results so others can benefit from my findings. I'm sure it will be a long cold winter, and I will most likely have plenty of time to get the Rambler ready for next spring. Thanks in advance.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 9:54pm
Use Type F transmission fluid. My family also has a 327 Flash-o-matic and has always needed type F to go into gear properly since it was new. I should know, this car has been in the family through 3 geenrations since it was delivered to the dealership.

The Borg-Warner M10 is the Ford-o-matic.  It even starts in second gear out of three when in Drive like a Ford.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 1:17am
If its like the later M11/M12 then there is a pressure requirement that is adjusted via the vacuum modulator, it's reasonably sensitive so could be way out if someone has been playing, would probably also lead to failure if the pressure was set to low causing slippage. You need to buy a transmission pressure test gauge, they are reasonably inexpensive, maybe $30-40. Also go through the band adjustment procedure. If that doesn't work then it is probably rebuild time.

There is a post at the top of this thread advocating the use of Dex 3 in all AMC transmissions, remember these thing came out before the advent of Dex 1,2,3 or Type F, so they should run on either but don't mix them together.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 11:38am
327 M10's or 11's (not sure which) don't use a vacuum modulator. They are a throttle cable controled tranny.  At least mine is.  The TSM describes both versions being made, but doesn't say what engines and vehicles recieved which versions.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 11:51am
If it is an true 1964 transmission it does not use a throttle cable but an 12v electric/vacuum modulator.

Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
rdmsbm97 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdmsbm97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 6:12pm
Yes I have the vacuum modulator/ solenoid combo. I bench tested the solenoid which you can see the little boot/rod move when applying 12 volts. The vacuum side of it leaks transmission fluid and even allows some to get to the intake manifold through the line, which it smokes a little, not from the engine oil  but the fluid being sucked into the intake and burning up out the tailpipe. I will do the band adjustment procedure for front and rear. Will also purchase  oil pressure tester. Hopefully a little adjustment and possible a decent working modulator will get me by for a little while so I can at least drive it a bit before a major overhaul. Looks pretty straight forward in the manual. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic