TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

304 V8 Motorcraft 2100 carb... tuning question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 11:32am
Turns out is only for idle. Off adle it is on another system of the carb. Do the MC 2100 use a power valve? I have not been in one for a bit and dont remember.
If me and the tank, hoses & filter have been replaced I would go and replace the pump so I know all is of same age and hope good. BTW new does not mean good.
If that all checks good you can pull the carb apart and see if clean inside & jet size but iirc the size of MC jets are not the same as Holleys jets so you will need to find MC jets if you want to change them out.
Me and I have done this, replace the carb with a Holley 2300 v2 500 cfm carb. It bolts on the stock intake and filter assy. fits. Because it is half a Holley v4 carb you can get any plars needed to tweak it to run prefect. Mine is bolted to a stock 75 304/auto in my Gremlin when I could not get the stock MC to run right. Think it was the same as yours, kind of a flat spot I could not get out. Had the Holley on the shelf so on it went.
Just my .02
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by jamesurq jamesurq wrote:

like you said?

I'm confused....
Sorry I thought was repsonding to the other thread about a holley 2bbl.
LOL
Same applies though, need to check the jets.
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 5:31pm
If you get into the carb, look here for a superb rebuild pictorial:

Also, I'm running a 2150 with the mixture screws at 2.75 turns out.  No issues, getting 19 inches vacuum.  Could argue maybe use smaller jets, but the MC is very tolerant for that.  At 2300 rpm, I don't think your idle circuit is a factor, however.  Float setting needs to be checked, and you can get to that easily enough when you check the jets.  Even jets that are 
WAY off aren't going to cause it to completely stop accelerating.  From what I've read, the carb is pretty tolerant of that, too.

I'd still start with the pump.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
jamesurq View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesurq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 9:42pm
You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the responses. After halloween, so Thursday I'll get a new one in there and see what's what.
d7javelin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d7javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 10:49pm
If your replacing the pump be careful when you insert the pump arm into the timing cover.  The pump arm is offset to one side so that it runs under the fuel pump eccentric on the cam.  It's easy to install wrong, bend the arm and have it break off. 
                 Imported from Kenosha
jamesurq View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesurq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 12:30pm
Ok - well I had some time today - and it's a super quick job.  Fuel pump and filter replaced... PROBLEM FIXED!

Thanks again folks.  I'm pretty sure that the carb would benefit greatly with a rebuild, but I'm not really looking to start another project..
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2012 at 12:29pm
Well, you fixed it with the new pump it seems. Just wanted to point out that the starter will turn the engine enough to check fuel pump pressure, especially if you pull the spark plugs first. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic