TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Edelbrock STR-11 Crossram

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purpleheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2013 at 2:18pm
WTG to all those involved in getting these intakes reproduced

Paul
Best time 10.38, Best mph 128.73, Best 60ft 1.38
Holeshot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holeshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2013 at 6:07pm
Some problems RE: STR11

First: Edelbrock included instructions on how to install & choose carbs & tuning for the Performer.

Second: Out of all the data they have compiled, and veteran tuners, not ONE WORD about the STR11s oddities in tuning.  Nor tuning tips. Of course they'd suggest using 60 year old AFB technology, which leaves all of us Holley guys out. Nobody was using AFBs on these back then, why now? Back in the day, people were carving plenum inserts out of wood in efforts to tune these. Why? Because there seems to be a very unfortunate habit these manifolds have, other than any drivability issues, and that is twofold: If you run too lean, a carburetor backfire may blow the top off of your shiny new toy and take out your hood at the same time; if you run too rich, the puddling of fuel these intakes are known for can ALSO cause carburetor backfires, blowing the lid apart & taking your hood with it. I won't even bother going into the nitrous issues. One highly respected veteran who runs a business in new & vintage HP parts told me that about the last 40 of these STRs he'd seen were either blown apart or had been welded back together. I can feel the flames coming - "Well, I guess ya have to know how to tune an engine if you're gonna play with the big boys"....spare me the insults. I'm not gonna post my resume here but suffice to say I've been a factory trained & certified master mechanic in engine tune & performance + engine overhaul for over 35yrs, and professionally employed doing so for a like number of years. Most of my patients have been DOHC 4-valvers making 3HP per cubic inch at 12-14 thousand RPM. I am usually tuning four or six carbs to run together. I really hate to carve on a brand new piece of cubic dollars to install a supercharger blow-off plate, I believe I will be developing an alternative to putting blow-off plates on the new toy. It's colder than Mandella's toes out in my shop since I haven't had time to insulate, sheetrock, & have gas run to it as of yet. but as soon as I can fab up the cure, I will postthe first pair here & figure a price that's fair to all

Edited by Holeshot - Dec/29/2013 at 7:35pm
|'69 AMX BBO 390 9.88 qtr. | '71 AMX 401 w/Richmond 5-spd | 2012 Hemi Challenger R/T 6-spd w/Sidewinders | Michigan 49120|
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2013 at 11:00pm
We have now built 5 crossram equipped engines over the past couple of years and put Holley carbs on all of them and got them to run fine on the street.  As stated in another post the issue is that most folks over carb them on an engine that can't handle the large amount of fuel so they run poorly and the intake gets blamed when in reality its the way it was set up.  

If you want to have one that will run as well as a single carb intake just run a pair of Holley 390s.  If you don't mind fiddling with the carb jets, accelerator pumps and squirters, you can run a set of 450s.  If you put enough go fast stuff in the rest of the engine I imagine a pair of 600s would work OK but that is a lot carb for most street setups.  

Sorry you don't want to hear it but we have built multiple crossram engines with the same results and with ZERO modification to the intakes.   
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
Mean Matador 72 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mean Matador 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2013 at 11:03am
Is Edelbrock putting the crossram back in their product line or was this a limited run of intakes they produced? Are any of them still available?

72MATADOR 401/727, 74 Matador Coupe 360/727
Judo390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judo390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2013 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Mean Matador 72 Mean Matador 72 wrote:

Is Edelbrock putting the crossram back in their product line or was this a limited run of intakes they produced? Are any of them still available?

I talked to Mike Pearce early in the delivery process and there were over 20 still available at that time. It was a limited run.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2013 at 11:18am
My understanding is that they will only be available thru Mike, not thru Edelbrock or their catalog.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  It's a limited run.  Got mine a week or so ago, it's a beautiful piece.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2013 at 11:34am
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

My understanding is that they will only be available thru Mike, not thru Edelbrock or their catalog.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 
Bob
tufcj

You are 100% correct Bob!!

They will only be available through Mike Pearce/ Patriot Racing. You will not be able to order them through Summit, Jegs, etc. etc. I'm sure there will be people buying the new STR-11 to re-sell them, but the seller would also be getting them from Mike.

Dennis 

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
LTS1968AMX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTS1968AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2013 at 7:47pm
I did have an issue with an intermittent backfiring, at the start of road testing, the EZ-EFI set-up. It's a self learning computer system. One did hit hard enough to push the gasket out form the upper plate under the left throttle body. The vintage intake I was working with had a 1/2 pipe threaded hole drilled and tapped, in front of the left carb location. I machined and threaded a piece of 3/4 aluminum round bar, into a relief valve. I made a o-ringed plug to fit the tube, and fabricated a cable to retain it, if it ever hits that hard again. The motor backfired when, I was checking my total timing, when snapped the throttle and backed out of it, she popped.
Holeshot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holeshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2014 at 12:45pm
RE: Backfiring intake could blow the lid apart.

Both engines I'll be running these on are in the 550- 600 HP range with O- ringed cylinders & ported & flowed heads, big cams, good rods, forged pistons, gear drives, etc. I've run the UltrrRam on both w/660 Center squirters & great results. I'm planning on using my original '69 STR on my '69 Nostalgia SS/AMX & already have most of the pieces to make a pretty authentic clone. It was originally a BBO 390 auto but previous owner back halved it & ran NHRA "HotRod" class at 9.80s at Milan the title is still in previous racer's name but I haven't seen that in a decade or more. I sold the original front bumper with molding with a BBO 290 4-speed from Jersey I returned to stock while keeping the 518HP dynoed at the wheels 390, DNE 5 speed, disk rear, & LOTS of MSD, etc parts. I had planned on keeping it orange but it's never gonna be back to stock unless I replace the floors & wheel housings. The factory team RWB looks SO much better, so that's where I'm going. I figured I'll put a piece of tape near the driver door data plate that will stay orange in case anyone in the future wants "proof". Anyway, I've got my "blow off" mod planned to machine into 2" carb spacers so I won't have to hack the vintage nor the new one. The new one will likely go on my 71 that was to be a vintage TransAm play toy until I found out that ONLY cars with verifyable SCCA credentials can run that class. Plan B, NHRA. The 11.5-1 401 w/O-ringed cylinders & ported heads is all together & bolted to the Chevy pattern Richmond 4+1, SFI parts from crank back. I really wanted to road race this & now, if I do drag it, the model 20 with MW axles, Moroso Brute Force posi, & rear disks will have to come out. The last time I tried to drag this rear w/DNE Street5 I didn't move one inch, the itsy bitsy yoke broke off of the pinion & I haven't found any better yoke. If I did, what breaks next? The pinion shaft? I was expecting at least a low 11, if not in to the tens. That was with the 518HP to the rears 390 & 10.5" slicks. This 390 was built out East at Motion, the ports all have stamped numbers, so I know ithey were flowed. That was 518 with a Torker & Carb Shop 850 flowed to 900 CFM.With stock valves. I have 2.08 & 1.74 undercut, swirl polished Stainless valves to go in, Total Seal gapless rings & 12.2-1TRWs to replace the reverse domed pistons it had. H-

Edited by Holeshot - Jan/02/2014 at 1:11pm
|'69 AMX BBO 390 9.88 qtr. | '71 AMX 401 w/Richmond 5-spd | 2012 Hemi Challenger R/T 6-spd w/Sidewinders | Michigan 49120|
Holeshot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holeshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2014 at 1:40pm
Dang Android curse - lost te cursor above. Anyway, it was running 9-1 compression w/reverse domed pistons & pinged SO bad w/o race gas. The piston to head clearance was like .160, it will now be .045". New H beam rods w 7/16 ARP 2000 capscrews, ARP main & head studs, and a cam much larger than the 292 they were running in it. Is there any reason why I am not able to post pics here? Is it a toggle I or the moderator have to clik, or more of tge Android curse? I was a programmer/analyst in the winters & out of the Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha shop, I I'll be damned if I can post a live link or upload a photo here. Anyway, the STRs will be running 660 Center Sqiuirters, to those who don't know these carbs, all 4 butterflies open exactly 1-1 in the center at the same rate as the acc pump shoots fuel right into the center. I have been studying crossram pics for over a decade, lots were using these, very identifyable by 1-1 linkage. Next unknown: Why did the Hemi run their carbs sideways, why did Chevy 302 run one each way? Oh, one other thing about my 390, I shifted at 7200 (with a broken vavespring, ooops), my new cam peaks at 7800 with a 8400 redline. And I have a set of new SS 1.7-1 rockers tha will likely go on the 401 due to that cam being only something like .580 lift & around 7200 redline. Naturally I have titanium retainers & restricted lifter oil supply on the roller cam motor. And NOS Crane roller lifters yet to be determined if I'll have the oiling issue, still a way to go for mockup. That 390 cam is a solid lifter cam & I'll be running the tool steel lifters with the oiling orifice directly onto the lobe. I hope I haven't made too many typos, I haven't seen my cursor since the Chevy 302 sentence. 
DaleWilch

Not wanting to hack on my manifold, 1 of these on each carb spacer:

The Blower Shop

Edited by Holeshot - Jan/03/2014 at 3:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
  Share Topic