TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tips for valve seals??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budryzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for valve seals??
    Posted: Oct/06/2012 at 5:11am
Greetings all,
    I have an older '70 motor that I'm going to do the valve seals on the heads with the compressed air technique. Any recommendations on which seals to use? I've seen a few different brands and would like to not have to do it over again. The ones on there now have sat without running for quite some time and have started to fail during overnights now that it's back in use.
1968AMX Stroked 369
"UNCLE SAM" tribute
04 H2
04 BMW 325
A/W 95 Ultralight Hobbycopter
85 CR500 x 2 and 13 other open Class Bikes
77 Hercules
Chinook Flt Lead
Prev
1970AMX390/4spSonicw/mask&3Gremm's
440sixpack View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440sixpack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 6:04pm
I assume you have the stock umbrella seals and not positive seals?

In either case if your engine is older as you say the seals should last onger than the guides so your choice isn't that important.  any umbrella type seals should work, I've had great luck with the viton ones even in fresh rebuilds. 
budryzer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budryzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 4:30am
Thanks for the reply. I had just ordered some sealed power off of the bay.
1968AMX Stroked 369
"UNCLE SAM" tribute
04 H2
04 BMW 325
77 Hercules
Chinook Flt Lead
Prev
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 12:30pm
I've had a lot better luck using the "rope" method. It's slower, but impossible to drop a valve, something you could do with air pressure, especially if you have a slightly burned valve seat not sealing as good as it should (or just a carbon chip on the seat). Get some 3/8" or so nylon rope and thread it into the spark plug hole of the cylinder you're working on with the piston down. About 2' needed in the sparker hole, with some hanging out for pulling back out, of course! Once it's in turn the crank by hand until engine stops. The rope will compress some, but not very much.  Pull rope when done, rotate another piston down and start over. Takes longer, but much safer!

I've only worked this way. My brother used to use air, then had a valve drop once. After pulling the head to retrieve the valve I asked him if he'd ever used rope. Got a funny look, so explained. He finished the other side (V-8) with rope and hasn't used air since. Takes less time and effort than having to pull a head! Of course if you run the piston up to TDC that you're working on with air the valve can't drop very far down. Should be bale to grab the end and pull it back up. Even if it won't seal again you can then run the piston down some and stick rope in there.

Edited by farna - Oct/09/2012 at 12:34pm
Frank Swygert
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 2:58pm
I second the rope method! Done it myself several times over the years and it is dead reliable. Cheap, doesn't require a compressor, etc. 

Chris 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440sixpack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 3:41pm
Guys have actually had the rope knot itself, then you pull the head

I just hook it up , let it push the piston to the bottom and go to work.  if you're really worried you can bring each piston to TDC , put the air to it and even if you did lose air it wouldn't drop the valve.
oldamcer View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldamcer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 4:01pm
I've always brought em up and not used a thing. Never marked a piston.
40 HudsonCoupe 304/904
33 Essex 315/904
47 Hudson 360/727/TorqueStorm

69 AmboWagon"The Flower Car"

50 StudeGasser360/T-400
74 HornetHatch 304/727
55 Hudson360/904

�
budryzer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budryzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 5:03am
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds interesting. I'm thinking the rope trick sounds interesting. I'm kind of cautious about anything foreign getting into the cylinder though, with this method.
The engine was bought by myself and had sat in excess of ten years. It has let out a big pooof on start-up twice now after driving it a while. It's an easy fix so I'll do it on a weekend. I'll also verify return holes are still clear.

Do I need to have any spare items? ie retainers??

Thanks
1968AMX Stroked 369
"UNCLE SAM" tribute
04 H2
04 BMW 325
77 Hercules
Chinook Flt Lead
Prev
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 9:16am
I would not worry about foreign things in the cylinders from this. I usually use a soft cotton cord or soft nylon. Obviously it should be clean and free of dirt. Any fluff from it will not likely hurt anything.

As for spare parts, bear in mind that with the rope method you have all the time in the world to get spare parts, since you don't have to keep air pressure in the cylinder. 

Chris  
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440sixpack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 9:23am
You shouldn't need anything, unless something id shot of course.

A little magnet is the best way to get the keepers out . and take a rubber hammer and smack the retainers down good after you remove the rockers  a few times before you start.  that will make things come apart better.

Seals only do so much, if your guides are shot they might help but they won't cure your problem.  push the stems around the best you can and see if there is obvious excess wear. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic