TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Inline 6 Carb To Manifold Choke Tube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inline 6 Carb To Manifold Choke Tube
    Posted: Sep/08/2012 at 9:27am
I'm looking for a part that I really don't know the technical term. Its the metal tube that connects from the carburator, (Kind of has a threaded bolt) that pushes down into the hole in the manifold to work the flapper on the carburator when hot air heats up. Thanks for anyones help.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2012 at 9:50am
You can make one with copper tubing and a compression fitting.  If you have the old one, take it to a good hardware store and show it to a clerk with grey hair and he/she will help you get the parts.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2012 at 11:36am
If I remember from other post that choke heat tube screws to the carb choke housing and runs "thru" the manifold and out the other side. I also think the open end of the tube is pinched off some. If it is not you would have a vac. leak and pinched off it is not as bad or more like a "controlled leak" that the motor can handel.
Then again I could be all wrong Confused
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2012 at 3:13pm
Dave is correct. You have a couple options to fix it. First is to drill the old tube out and insert a correct size piece of steel tubing. Brake line is what you need. The fitting on the carb is a regular flare nut fitting. Make sure the drill size is the same as the OD of the tubing. That might be a bit of trouble to find. If the tube is a tight fit that's okay -- stick in the freezer a couple hours and it should push right in a cool manifold.

If you don't want to mess with the manifold, find two self tapping screws that will just thread in the holes of the manifold an plug them. Get some copper tubing and a compression nut and ferrule for the carb. The copper should be wrapped at least once around the manifold somewhere with the open end down. Make sure you don't bend too tight and pinch the tubing closed.

Air flows through the tube and is warmed by the exhaust manifold. The warm air activates the choke. If you're getting soot inside the choke housing the tube is rusted/burned through inside the manifold.
Frank Swygert
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 10:13am
If the hole you drilled in the manifold is to large could you use JB Weld to seal it? I ask because I do not know if JB weld would with stand the heat on the manifold.

I do like the wrap the copper around the manifold deal - never thought of doing it that way.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 10:28am
You might try some of that plumbers epoxy that you knead together. Comes in a plastic tube but I can't remember the name of it. They advertise it as good for manifold repairs. Could be it is the same stuff as JB weld.
matador64 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 12:59pm
I thought so, that one could be made, but didn't know if you had to purchase it. The broken end is stuck in manifold, almost looks like an easy out would get it out, but if it falls down in would it hurt anything.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 1:32pm
I've had better luck plugging the heat tube ports in the manifold completely and converting to an electric choke.  Works just the same and less chance of an exhaust leak when the tube in the manifold rusts through - - and it will.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 3:47pm
But the tube in the manifold won't rust/burn out for quite a long time -- the original was in there for more than 40 years. The copper tubing on the outside won't leak exhaust in though.  I do like electric chokes -- if there is one available for your carb that's a good idea.

If a piece of the tubing falls in the exhaust manifold it won't hurt a thing. It will just blow out the muffler. Might get stuck in the muffler, but it's not big enough to hurt anything if it does.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic