TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

A/C in 70 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2015 at 7:46pm
Armand, Good to hear you got air.

Can you give us a run down of the parts list: under dash unit, condenser, drier, compressor/brackets so I can start looking for them for my 70 Javelin project. I did not think this thru or I would not have rebuilt the stock non-A/C box.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2015 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

It Works, got the system charged with some help and it worked correctly right away. Blows 55 degrees out of the ducts at 700 rpm idle. Put in 2-1/4 lbs. of R134A. Remember the car has the original evap coil and a NOS condenser from a 74 Javelin. The air temps today reached 85 degrees with 70% humidity. I had the air blowing on me during a 20 minute cruise, I got chilly.
Thanks everyone for all the help.
Armand   

My Eagle has the 94 Jeep compressor otherwise EVERYTHING is 100% stock 1982 AMC, except the new receiver/dryer.
The hoses, lines, evap, condenser, you name it, it's original from the Jeep or the Eagle save for the receiver/dryer.
The lines from the Eagle were welded to the stubs of lines at the compressor fitting.
It was charged with 134a and it works just fine. 
I think perhaps the drain is partially plugged as it's leaving a lot of water in the garage after I park it and it doesn't run out as fast as it did when I first got things working, but it works fine. 
It was put together initially over 3 years ago, it was charged and made working the summer of 2012.

When I asked the shop that did the custom line and fitting work about needing new hoses and so on, and they said no, they do many of those systems every year and don't have problems unless it was a system that was also having problems with the R12. They told me that if it was working with R12 I should not expect issues. 
I've not had issues.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2015 at 8:19pm
Billd,  our new cars will leak a lot of water when ran and parked in our garage.  I think any day above 70% humidity will make a good puddle. 

If you did not say welded...  I would not have noticed...  Mainly by the cleanlyness and my wee tablet.  I zoomed and had to find it. 
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2015 at 8:25pm
The early 80s were transition years. Most around 1980 have the newer style "barrier" hoses, but some don't. Supposedly R-134a has smaller molecules and will eventually seep out of the hoses if they aren't barrier type, but many do the conversion with no issues. I think the compressor oil might saturate the hoses and make them less likely to seep refrigerant. Whatever the case, many don't experience a problem, or at least not enough to be an issue. If it takes more than three years to lose enough refrigerant to make a difference who cares?
Frank Swygert
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 12:19am
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

It Works,
--------------------
NICE!

FUZZFACE2
I have some 1970 Javelin pieces for A/C that I started to collect before I gave up on it and purchased an underdash Vintage Air unit.
You are welcome to them if you want them, I have to clean out my garage and anything that goes to make room is bonus to me.
Tonight my brain is fried and could not tell you what I have if anything worth using but PM me if you are interested.
I think one of the pieces and maybe the only one is the evaporator.

Edited by uncljohn - Sep/03/2015 at 8:14am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 7:08am
The WhiteJavelin has the factory evap coil with fabricated brass and copper O-ring ends brazed in place of the flare fittings. The condenser is a NOS 74 Javelin part. The expansion valve is an O-ring version. I purchased aluminum tubes from various A?C suppliers like Vintage Air and fabricated tubes to replace as much of the rubber hose as possible with hard lines. Then I purchased stainless braided hoses and fittings from Vintage Air and made up the part that needs to be flexible. The Compressor is a Chinese knock off of a Sanden. When I was buying it I did not understand that "Sanden style" meant knock off. The underdash stuff is all rebuilt 70 Javelin. The controls are factory. The dryer is an aftermarket unit. I had to modify a few things, to make it all function together.
here's a pic of the evap with the O-ring fittings brazed on. I purged the joints with Argon while brazing because that's what I had in the shop.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 7:17am
The compressor mount that adapts the Sanden to the York bracket  is cast iron. I found it on Ebay. It's for converting semi trucks, anyway the seller was in the truck A/C business. Here's a pic of the fittings. The female O-ring was machined from a brass flare to iron pipe thread adaptor. The male O-ring fitting is made up of various sizes of soft copper tubing brazed together, then sandblasted, then machined. the sandblasting part is very important as copper goes dead soft when heated to brazing temps. copper work hardens, blasting is work.
The 74 condenser has O-ring fittings already manufactured on the coil.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Sep/07/2015 at 4:00pm
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 7:30am
About 7 years ago I purchased a rusty 70 Javelin, in fact we named the car ole rusty, it had a complete unmolested A/C setup.

The condenser coil was shot, and didn't have O-ring fittings so it was out immediately.

The original dryer cost more to rebuild than a universal one and wouldn't fit the 74 condenser anyway. I thought I had found a 74 NOS drier but it turned out it's for a Ford something.

Oh yeah the evap coil fins were pretty crooked by the time I got done modding it, so I spent an hour or so very carefully straightening all of them.

The stainless braided hose is very easy to work with, yeah it's expensive, but pretty much totally failure proof and it looks really good.

I didn't cover all the the liquid line, under the dash, with insulation. After the first cruise using the A/C, I noticed a bit of moisture dripping from the about two inch exposed length of tubing. I'll have to stand on my head i there and get some insul on it. You know that black stuff with cork in it.

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 8:08am
That is really a nice looking job. Point of interest, the adapter you purchased is pretty much a universally available adapter and makes using a Sanden or a Sanden wanna be compressor easy. I was able to locate the OEM A/C compressor mounting brackets for installing that compressor on my 1970. The adapter made it possible to use of the OEM drive belt.
Although I would like to have a back side idler for the long run from the compressor to the crankshaft pulleys and never found one. Again, a really nice looking installation.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 9:25am
Unclejohn,

Thanks for your praise.

I also have one of those factory Sanden mount brackets. It's from an 85 FSJ. For some reason I want to say it didn't fit on the 70 engine because the later heads have an additional mounting threaded hole that the 70's do not have. But then I thought I looked at all that the second time and didn't find the extra mounting hole on the bracket. I hate confusion.

That is in fact the OEM drive belt and it does have the back side idler wheel with a new sealed bearing, which was easy to replace. There is enough slack in that belt that I could raise the compressor up using spacers between the bracket and adaptor to provide more clearance at the engine head, (it is tight) but then it gets the pulley on the compressor closer to the radiator hose, sigh, another dilemma.....

The entire project was a huge learning experience for me, but sure was rewarding when completed, especially the fact that only two things were outsourced, machining a male and female O-ring adaptors for the evap coil and the charging of the system.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Sep/07/2015 at 4:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic