TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Javelin amx restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 25>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R/W/B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2013 at 5:13pm
D,
I have been driving that 2 seater. I have it where it is starting to be reliable enough to trust.It looks the same, but has mud, water stains from my afternoon outings. I really do need to show pictures of this one,but I started a few pictures of THE MACHINE in the the projects section.Take a look ,its a few pages back. I WILL POST PICTURES OF THE 68 AMX in the projects also, just give me a little time.---Bill
R/W/B Machine
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2013 at 7:53pm
Bill---That's great! I can't wait to see the pictures of the amx let me know when  you get them posted.
 I am going to check out THE MACHINE right now

I was in trouble tonight. I was wondering why my eye was hurting turns out I had a tiny peice of metel stuck in it. I had to use a sewing needle to get it out... very stressful. This car is beating me up bad. I was wearing safty glasses but I guess they are not 100% safe

Edited by dsm6678 - Dec/19/2013 at 7:58pm
Hot_Rod_Ranch View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Rod_Ranch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2013 at 2:32pm
Awesome job bringing it back to life. I just picked up a 73 Javelin here in Texas, luckily it doesn't have much rust. Needed some parts, and found a good donor parts car in New Mexico. I was able to get a non-cracked windshield, all side windows, the lower side chrome, front suspension parts, and quarter panel pieces I can use to repair my rust damage. I will be parting out the rest of the car (would restore it, but somewhere along the lines someone took the VIN plate and I don't have a title for it). But at least it will be a good donor car and help to bring my car, and hopefully others, back to life!

Again, great work on yours!
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2013 at 9:56pm
Thank you! What made you decide to get a javelin? What options does yours have? What color and engine? 

I am working on mine right now fitting up the driver's side quarter panel parts. Slow going though. i just bought about $150.00 in paints and rust profing and undercoating. I was holding off because I am sick of spending money but I was low on everything . I wish there was a way to duplicate the factory undercoating where I had to remove it  but the 3m stuff is better then others I have tried
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Rod_Ranch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 9:11am
I wanted a muscle car from each of the big 4 automakers (that were around when I was a kid). Javelin was the one I wanted from AMC, I always liked the way they looked. They don't come around too often. I found mine by accident actually. I was going to an estate sale, and took a wrong turn down a dirt road. Two lots down, there was this 73 Javelin sitting in a field. I tracked down the owner and was able to make a deal to bring it home to restore it. It was (and will be again) Maxi Blue. It had a 304 and A/C. I am rebuilding a 401 to go into it. I have obtained a cowl induction hood, still need to get a rear spoiler for it. I also have the AMX grill, although the outer metal part needs lots of repair, the plastic inner support is in pretty good shape. Slowly working to bring it back to life. I understand about the spending money part, that's for sure! I would post pics, but I still need to get up to 30 posts before I can. Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration to us all!
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 5:44pm
Wow! That is an interesting story on how you found that Javelin. About the grille I always loved the 73 and 74 front grille on the standard Javelin . In my opinion it is just as good looking as the AMX grille but in a different way.

Yours was sitting in a field . That usually means it's going to need some work but I guess in Texas it would be more sun damage than rot. You should look into selling the 304 if your not going to use it . It's not worth much but it is worth something. I sold a 1974 304 a few years ago to a man in New Zeeland. I sold it for $120.00 and ended up only getting like $80.00 for it and actually in the end only got a free steam cleaner. I made no money on the deal but the steam cleaner was $80.00 and it does work great. I did it more for the idea of saving the engine and helping a fellow amc person out. He is going to use it in a Jeep cj7 . He said it's hard to find a 304 in New Zeeland.  

I actually saved that 304 from going to the junk yard. I was planning on finding a jeep cj5 or 7 without an engine  I was going to use it in that but that never happend

thanks d

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Rod_Ranch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 5:51pm
That's a good idea. I'm still considering keeping it, as it came with the car, but it would be nice to see it find a good home.

Not much rot at all on the car, just a little at the wheel well lips on the rear quarter panels. Everything else is rock solid. The guy I bought it from had already had the front and rear seats recovered to look original too!
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 11:43pm
Wow.  You are a better man than most for taking on a project like this.  It reminds me of the 71 Javelin my brother bought from the junkyard.  It's sitting over at his mother-in-laws because of time and money constraints.   But it has a lot of rust issues too.  It's hard to find cars this old in Missouri that don't! 

I'm glad you're seeing it through.  Every panel you have to patch is one more you'll be proud of when the job is done.  And it's a job well done!

Ray
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2014 at 8:26pm
Thanks that  means a lot to me. I took a picture of the driver side quarter panel pieces I installed (3 parts from APD) I know in the picture you cannot tell but I got the body line lined up perfect.

Funny thing is the rear panel did not line up perfect at the edge where the quarter panel comes down by the rear tail light. I noticed that the pasenger side was molded a little higher than the drivers side and those parts are original, never been cut out or replaced. I first  thought a mistake in the reproduction panel bet then NO a A mistake at the factory. No big deal . I wonder how many got through production with that slight mistake before they fixed it!

Edited by dsm6678 - Jan/11/2014 at 8:40pm
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2014 at 7:58pm
Found a picture of the interior before I did the floor pans and rocker panels
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 25>
  Share Topic