TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Disc brake conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CodyClassic550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2012 at 8:29am
Can this be used on a 66 classic wagon?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2012 at 10:12am
The current Scarebird kit can easily be fitted to ANY 1952-83 AMC. On the 66 Classic it should be a bolt-on requiring no modifications. On some a little grinding or spacing may be required, but it bolts on with no mods to all 64+ cars (and the 63 Classic/Ambo). No one has reported any trouble with the latest iteration at all. 
Frank Swygert
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 6:29pm
I know this is late but I got to put my 2 cents in.  If you have a disc brake set up from a 71 and newer AMC and the rotor is shot, Then get a 25.00 dollar rotor Oreileys part number 780444RGS it's for a Grand Cherokee but it works and the offset, thickness and lug pattern is the same.  I machined the rotor off the hub so the rotor wound just slip on. I did this with my 72 Matador and my 59 Rambler American Wagon 2dr of coarse the brakes came of a 73 AMX,  These are 11 inch rotors by the way.  If anyone wants there original hub rotor assemblies machined to fit these rotors I can do for 20.00 a rotor + shipping.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by weramble weramble wrote:

The Scarebird version #3 mentioned above actually uses 1985-90 Cadillac Fleetwood calipers and pads now. Check out AMC Scarebird on E-bay. It always makes me laugh with everybody concerned about how long these parts will last. If you are like me, and only drive the car 3 or 4,000 miles a year, buy an extra set of rotors and a few sets of pads and store them when you have an extra few bucks laying around. They will last longer than me or my car is alive.

There is a point to be made here if some one is interested.
Most AMC cars now are pretty much collector cars and rarely driven.  These kits that are becoming available are pretty good ones.  Like all kits, some are better than others and frankly I am not sure it makes much difference.
I worked on a 69 Mustang last week end, with a kit conversion from drum to disc using GM calipers and flat plate adapter with  Ford Truck rotors.  It looked to be o.k., it had a problem though and I am not sure how critical it was. But then again I just got my Hornet disc brakes working this afternoon. They had a problem too. The point really is how much are they going to be driven.  Some where around 1985 or so I had to deal with my 1970 Javelin and there infamous 4 piston disc brakes.  I spent a ton on money getting stainless steel sleeved calipers for it.  And two sets of pucks.  I haven't used any of them yet. I built my Spirit in 1999 as a driver, but I have only put 40,000 miles on it.  I put 200,000 on a Mitsubishi and another 130,000 on a Chrysler T&C since then.
These brake kits are priced fairly.  Buy them, use them and be glad they exist.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 7:55pm
Glad that there is someone making kits for anything to do with AMC's.  Mine is just a cheap fix for those that all ready have rotors but are damaged and want to keep it mostly AMC and it's a simple fix. The last time I priced a rotor for a 72 Matador was 150.00 bucks but was not even available, and if they did they wanted your old core or pay another 20.00 bucks. My way all you need is a common Jeep rotor. If you have drums and want to go disc then go aftermarket, there isn't a lot of choice.  By the way anyone have a pair of spindles for a 70 and newer AMC. I need a pair thanks for any help.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by WARBED WARBED wrote:

Glad that there is someone making kits for anything to do with AMC's.  Mine is just a cheap fix for those that all ready have rotors but are damaged and want to keep it mostly AMC and it's a simple fix. The last time I priced a rotor for a 72 Matador was 150.00 bucks but was not even available, and if they did they wanted your old core or pay another 20.00 bucks. My way all you need is a common Jeep rotor. If you have drums and want to go disc then go aftermarket, there isn't a lot of choice.  By the way anyone have a pair of spindles for a 70 and newer AMC. I need a pair thanks for any help.

I have a feeling that the people making kits, and they are out there have no idea that if they can come up with a bolt on disc brake kit that fits anything AMC, it fits ALL!
I think I have spindles, I will go look. If I do it is because they are disc brake spindles.  At least I think so.

Sorry, If I have 2 around some where I can no longer find them. I have scrounged up a lot of 70+ front suspension parts over the years to rebuild things with and I would have saved the brakes if I had a reason to. Of course you need disc brake spindles to run AMC disc brakes with and if I had any spindles at all it would be because I removed drums and the spindle. And I don't even have but one set of brake parts. And they are stashed for future reference, no spindles but lots of upper and lower control arms.

Edited by uncljohn - Mar/18/2013 at 10:03pm
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2013 at 6:56am
IIRC there are 3 different spindles on our cars. IIRC 2 have a different bearing size and the other has a different pad thickness where is bolts to the knuckle.
Because of this it is hard to make any "bolt on kit" work for us.
This was found when a member was working with Wilwood for thier kit and from what I hear they still have issues with the kit.
Yes we are lucky anyone is even looking to throw us a bone let alone give it to us.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2013 at 7:41am
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

IIRC there are 3 different spindles on our cars. IIRC 2 have a different bearing size and the other has a different pad thickness where is bolts to the knuckle.
Because of this it is hard to make any "bolt on kit" work for us.
This was found when a member was working with Wilwood for thier kit and from what I hear they still have issues with the kit.
Yes we are lucky anyone is even looking to throw us a bone let alone give it to us.
Dave ----

The rule of thumb over the years simply has been if you are junkyard sourcing a later model AMC disc brake set of parts from a 2 wheel drive car,  you take everything from the steering knuckle out and that includes the spindle.
You take the Spindle because of exactly what you are saying, a difference in Spindle between the drum and any Disc Brake package.
Once all of those parts are in your possession they will BOLT on to any AMC Steering Knuckle giving what ever that car is, upgraded disc brakes.
While different disc brakes were used on a variety of AMC cars depending on the year and in later years whether it was a 4 cylinder or not and naturally Eagle brakes would not work as the 4wheel or Allwheel drive package would not fit on a 2 wheel drive car.
After market spindles are certainly state of the Art at the present time.  If a manufacturer of disc brake kits wants to be all inclusive on their kit application, it will require them to include a spindle. As most kits also include a rotor and hub with bearing, the addition of a spindle to the package will;
1. Make it universal to ALL AMC products thus broadening the target market
2. And still make it affordable.
This would leave only a set of instructions that applies if there is an interference with a trunnion equipped car.  This is now handled by taking the drivers side caliper if mounted in the rear and moving it to the passenger side and mounting it in the front.
This rotation keeps the bleeder in the top position required for proper bleeding and resolves the interference problem that occurs depending on the AMC car used as a source for the Disc Brakes.
And if I had known all of this stuff 30 years ago in detail I would not have spent a ton of money on those archaic 4 piston caliper disc brakes on my Javelin that were not only next to impossible to find parts for or get apart and reqired shimming to get them in proper alignment and no one had the bloody shims. I would have upgraded them to later model brakes then.
To be fair, they are still working now, but the aggravation I went through at the time left an open wound I think.
An aftermarket kit with today's machining capability is certainly feasible.
The Mustang unit I was trying to solve a problem on was not a rocket science design.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2013 at 7:25pm
Sorry for this I'm looking for steering knuckles for 70 up AMC. spindles/axles I have. I've been working for Ford to long and they don't separate like AMC so call them spindles, front axles or steering knuckles and its all  the same.  Might have a line on a set someone is looking. Thanks for any help.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2013 at 12:31am
Originally posted by WARBED WARBED wrote:

Sorry for this I'm looking for steering knuckles for 70 up AMC. spindles/axles I have. I've been working for Ford to long and they don't separate like AMC so call them spindles, front axles or steering knuckles and its all  the same.  Might have a line on a set someone is looking. Thanks for any help.

I do not have the spindles, which do unbolt and are separate from steering knuckles.  Well at least if I do have them I have not found them.  However steering knuckles I have, how many do you want?
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic