TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Disc brake conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2016 at 1:42pm
you use the drum brake -- rambler -- hubs. there have been many threads here about how to do that. sometimes getting the drums off the hubs is difficult. 

i just got the latest Scarebird AMC kit, and the instructions are flimsier than previous kits! doesn't state which flex lines to use. and it assumes you have the technical knowledge on how brakes work and how to overall handle the project and deal with the inevitable problems that crop up (eg. you find all your steel brake lines need replacing).

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2016 at 6:23am
Remove the brake drums from the hubs you have now, or get hubs from Scarebird. They take an old disc rotor and turn the worn out rotor off the hub.

To remove the residual pressure valve get a sheet metal screw that will turn into the small hole in the center of the brake line outlet of the MC. Just needs to make 2-3 turns. Pull the screw with pliers -- the bronze seat will pull out. A spring and black plasti/rubber piece will come out from behind the seat. Then reinsert the seat.
Frank Swygert
Gizmo456 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gizmo456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2016 at 9:01pm
Will their "large" brake kit fit on my 1974 Gremlin? I have 15" rims. Do you also think it would be possible to fit different calipers and rotors to this kit?

I would really like to put a set of slotted and drilled rotors as well as a Willwood caliper...

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2016 at 5:55am
You can use Willwood calipers and rotors. Or get the Ranger rotors drilled and slotted. You might be bale to find them that way already. The calipers are standard GM. I would think Willwood has one that will fit the GM mounting positions, but I don't know for sure. All you would be using from Scarebird is the hub and caliper bracket. Well, that's all they provide anyway (and some small hardware pieces like a seal adapter).

The Scarebird "big" brake kit will work with steel 15" wheels, I don't know about alloys. They vary in thickness.
Frank Swygert
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2016 at 8:23am
Originally posted by weramble weramble wrote:

The Scarebird version #3 mentioned above actually uses 1985-90 Cadillac Fleetwood calipers and pads now. Check out AMC Scarebird on E-bay. It always makes me laugh with everybody concerned about how long these parts will last. If you are like me, and only drive the car 3 or 4,000 miles a year, buy an extra set of rotors and a few sets of pads and store them when you have an extra few bucks laying around. They will last longer than me or my car is alive.

Pretty much the above works quite well.
I have the OEM disc brakes on my 70 Javelin with two sets of pads on the shelf. Along with a Spirit conversion.
They have been sitting quite a while and can sit some more.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2016 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Gizmo456 Gizmo456 wrote:

Will their "large" brake kit fit on my 1974 Gremlin? I have 15" rims. Do you also think it would be possible to fit different calipers and rotors to this kit?
I would really like to put a set of slotted and drilled rotors as well as a Willwood caliper...

Simple way is to just order a Wilwood brake kit:
Wilwood front kits

... but the stock KH discs with 11" x 1" wide rotors actually give more braking torque, with a pad upgrade, and expect as much if not more heat capacity than the 12.19" x 0.81" Wilwood kits ... but the Wilwoods look nice, save some weight, have more pad compound options and are likely to be available for many years.
cheynemitt View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheynemitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2016 at 12:55am
i installed the scarebird kit on my 1967 American. I cant get any brake pedal whatsoever. is it a must to put a adjustable bias valve in the rear line? if so, where do I get it and how do I install it
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2016 at 1:04am
Originally posted by cheynemitt cheynemitt wrote:

i installed the scarebird kit on my 1967 American. I cant get any brake pedal whatsoever. is it a must to put a adjustable bias valve in the rear line? if so, where do I get it and how do I install it

If your brake pedal goes to the floor and no pressure is developed you have air in the line a defective master or a huge leak. What did you use for a master cly? Did you bench bleed it thoroughly? Valves in the lines will only affect the way the pads apply, should not cause the pedal to go to the floor.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2016 at 5:20am
Did your master go dry during the swap? If so you need to bench bleed it. I have a set of plastic "flare fittings" to cap the open lines/ports to keep the master wet. Really important with an old master.

Now what usually happens when bench bleeding a really old master the piston has to travel farther down the bore than it ever has before. That part of the bore is probably crusty and abrasive after all this time. See where this is going?

Edited by maximus7001 - Dec/12/2016 at 5:28am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2016 at 6:56am
You don't have to have the bias valve in the rear line. If the rears don't easily lock before the fronts on a gravel or wet (not standing water, but well wet) road/parking lot from about 40-45 mph in a panic stop you're fine. Do check it before lots of driving though. If it brakes straight even if the wheels lock up (four wheels locking is fine... will slide straight) from about 40-45 mph then a really hard stop, you're fine without a bias valve. If the rear end wants to come around without input from the steering wheel you need a bias valve. Dial pressure down until it brakes straight on a slippery surface.

As noted, the brake change won't make the pedal hit the floor. Probably just air in lines. You can fill the MC then open all four bleeders, and leave it sitting over night. That's called "gravity bleeding". I'd check after a couple hours and make sure the MC is still full though. If it's half full after 2-4 hours you should be okay. Then fill and bleed as normal. Gravity bleeding will get most air out, but not all. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic