TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Front mount v.s rear calipers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellysguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front mount v.s rear calipers
    Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 3:13pm
If I have a front mount set and want to mount them rearward, all I have to do is swap sides, corrcet? I should have to keep the caliper part of the bracket on the same side burt flip it upside down in order to ge tthe shim orintated correctly. Are the other brackets the same just flipped sides?
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 4:48pm
If they are designed to mount forwards why would you mount them backwards?
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
kellysguy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellysguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 5:15pm
To get more weight towards the center of the car. (read, behind the front wheels).

Next time you pass a BMW or Lexus on the highway, notice how the front calipers are behind the axle and rears are in front of it. Manufactures do this on performance models to get as much weight (read inertia) as possible towards the center of the car for handling purposes.

If it can be done easily it makes more sense to do it than to not.Thumbs Up

I might be able to use the brake hoses I already have here too. Wink 
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 5:58pm
Most cars have the calipers mounted on the opposite side of the axle from the steering arm,  because it's pretty difficult to get to the tierod bolt if the caliper is right above it,  and there may be steering dynamic reasons for that also.
  A BMW or Porsche may have the front caliper to the rear,  but their steering racks are toward the front,  and the steering rack weighs a lot more than 2 calipers. So they're not doing it for the reason you think.

I've got 4 different cars here with front disc brakes,  every one has the caliper mounted on the opposite side of the axle from the steering arm,  It may be just for package reasons,  but there may be more to it than just that.

You'd be moving 10 lbs about 1 foot,  like moving a 2 gallons of milk from the front seat to the back seat,  you'll never know the difference.

After saying that I remembered i've actually got 5 cars here with front disc brakes,  my Hornet has the steering arm and caliper on the same side of the axle,  naturally AMC would have to be different.

Edited by tyrodtom - Jul/26/2012 at 6:35pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
kellysguy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellysguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 6:51pm
Weight, be it a milk jug or a milk dud, mounted in front of the front wheel axis has a greater effect on push than the same amount of weight mounted the same distance behind it.

I do appreciate the input however; we're getting off track. That being said, the original question wasn't will it make a difference, rather; are they the same brackets just on different sides.

Like I stated earlier, I may be able to use the new brake hoses I already have here v.s buying new ones if I can easily mount the calipers rearward like AMC did in other applications.

Besides, I like the way rearward mounted calipers look v.s front.

So, anyone know if it's the same only different?
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 7:26pm
yes they are the same . you just have to move your frame flex hose mounts or steel lines . flex hoses can only bend so much without damage in the long run. and the weight gain is not really worth it. but to each their own. it may gain you .0000001 % weight  to the rear wheels . But only when the front wheels are off the ground .

Edited by toolmanxiii - Jul/26/2012 at 7:30pm
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
kellysguy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellysguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 7:31pm
Just checked, they can't be swapped at least not properly.
kellysguy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellysguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by toolmanxiii toolmanxiii wrote:

. it may gain you .0000001 % weight  to the rear wheels . But only when the front wheels are off the ground .

Not trying to shift it to the rear wheels.
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

If they are designed to mount forwards why would you mount them backwards?
Because Amc allows it . so why not you just have to move steel line so it mounts on the other side of the flex mount , I have done as per client wishes. they just want it that way. 
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 7:45pm
And I thought that rear mounted front calipers kept the front of the car from diving to the pavement in hard braking!  Never thought about the center of gravity stuff.  Mike
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic