TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Borg Warner M12 for performance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 7:11pm
"BW was the major developer, I don't know if Ford just fed them money or had an active part in development." 
Look up Carroll Shelby and Ford . And from what I have read  Borg Warner Did All their own research with the help of may racing teams over many years  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BorgWarner
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 7:13pm
Sorry I like to know as much as I can about any part of an AMC . 

71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 10:55am
Lucas660, those numbers were a great help, direct link straight to the source, just had to wait until the middle of the night to call them.

Anyway, according to the very helpful girl in the tech department the clutches and steels for the M12 and FMX are the same part numbers.

So just for the record the following parts are apparently readily available:

P# 49740 - Red Eagle Friction 0.061"
P# 49742 - Red Eagle Friction 0.080"
P# 49700 - Bronze Friction 0.061" (this is the only thickness available in bronze)

P# 23701 - STD Steel Plates 0.068" (flat plates for front clutch pack)
P# 23703 - STD Steel Plates 0.065" (dished plates for rear clutch pack)
P# 23701K - Kolene Steel Plates 0.068" (flat only)

So hopefully that covers it.
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 2:23pm
^^^awesome research there! Now are those considered high performance or just stock replacements?
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 3:48pm
The Alto Red Eagle clutches and Kolene (hardened) steel plates would are probably the most well known brands in the performance transmission world and a few people on here have also suggested using the bronze clutches. Alto also makes the regular steel plates and various other OEM replacement type clutches.

I did enquire with one of the other online vendors and their rebuild kits used Borg Warner clutches, which they said were good quality and would stand up to performance use. I reckon the run of the mill friction materials would have probably improved substantially in both performance and durability in the last 40 odd years.
bvpotash1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bvpotash1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 6:08pm

Just my 2 cents about bronze clutches. Many years ago I rebuilt the tranny out of a late 50’s Lincoln. It was an early FMX with bronze clutches that were original. I rebuilt it with modern friction clutches. The owner told me he had never felt the transmission shift until I rebuilt it.  The original unit was not burned up but had a cracked case that I replaced. That tells me that the bronze clutches don’t engage as hard or as soon as the modern friction linings do. I don’t think that bronze is the way to go for performance applications. Like I said, just my 2 cents.

amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2016 at 1:42am
what affects shift firmness is line pressure

if you can't 'feel it', the line pressure is low

(yes; that's true what the other man said about the 'cupped steels' in the 1-2 clutch- they made that clutch grab softer and they can be replaced with 'flat steels' (used in the other clutch, in OEM applications) & then the clutch pack needs to be re-sorted for the correct clearance as prescribed by the overhaul manuals...)

AMC TSM shows how the throttle cable or vacuum modulator adjustment affects main line pressure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit here for any other casual reader of this thread:

The old article showing the B&M modifications says the AMC two prong type torque converter engagement is prone to breakage. (due to slack in the engagement or whatever)

This is NOT true. (BALONEY!)

The reason why is this: all that engagement does is drive the oil pump.

There can be no back and forth 'slack' in the engagement because the engine only turns one direction! Hence, the transmission's oil pump is only driven in one direction!*

When we downshift the transmission, that does not place force on the oil pump drive; that transfers force through the input shaft into the torque converter (NOT the oil pump drive mechanism)

Hey! If your engine is turning the wrong direction... you've got more than transmission trouble!

The two prongs only need to withstand the amount of power it takes to drive the oil pump, which is a small amount ...like about 4 to 10 hp, estimating 1 hp per every 10 psi -similar to what it takes to drive the oil pump in the engine (typically driven by the distributor drive gear through a shaft to the oil pump)

Moreover, the B&M 'AMC Borg Warner hop up' article shows the FMX torque converter hub and says its stronger... Rather it's the opposite: the two machined flat surfaces that are intended to engage and drive the transmission's oil pump ring gear will tend to 'wedge' the oil pump ring apart instead (assuming there is a 'heavily loaded' condition, which there is not) So, even though the FMXs' torque converter engagement design is actually weaker, still, there is not enough strain there to worry about = it's basically a 'non-issue' ...whatever...

*There are a few internal component parts that spin in the opposite direction, when the unit is downshifted, to give engine braking (for resistance against engine rotation) The transmission's oil pump however, is not one of them.

Edited by amcenthusiast - Feb/06/2020 at 10:10am
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2016 at 7:43am
Detroit Gear (a division of BW) originally made the auto in cooperation with Studebaker in the late 40s/early 50s. As Stude got into financial trouble it had to back out, and Ford stepped in (around 53). The deal between Ford and BW was that Ford got production rights, and would buy 50% of their auto trannys from BW for a number of years (though the mid 60s... 10 years IIRC) in exchange for those rights. The Ford trannys were made slightly different form the ones BW supplied others, but just the valve body and the main case. All the machined rotating parts were shared. That's why the rebuild kits apply to Ford and other BW trannys, and have different pan and VB gaskets. I researched this for a magazine article some years ago. Part of it used to be on the BW site under history, but that has long since disappeared.
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2016 at 6:19am
Oops! Someone made (and apparently deleted) a post stating the Ford-O-Matic appeared in 1950, not 1953 as I posted. I checked -- correct!! Actually 1951 model cars, but would have been made in late 1950...  I think the article I have from one of the "science" mags on the BW/Stude/Ford trannys (it's titled "The New Automatics" or something similar) of the 50s is a 52 or 53 issue... may be 51. Haven't looked at it in a while!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruise-O-Matic

This article states that Ford was to buy 50% of their trannys for five years, not ten. Not verified, could be either, but I'm going strictly from memory and may be wrong. Not sure when it started either, but shouldn't have been into the 60s... even 10 years would have ended in 60 or 61 since production started in 50/51.

Edited by farna - Mar/16/2016 at 6:23am
Frank Swygert
rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2020 at 11:04am
What's the most recent m12 rebuild anyone here has done? Would you have a solid up to date list of currently available parts and suppliers (a-z) friction, steels, gaskets etc. So far I'm lost at sea. Also what difference to wear and drivability do high performance parts make? Steels, bronz that sort of stuff? 

Edited by rsrguy3 - Feb/02/2020 at 3:18pm
javguy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic