TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Upcoming Shows and Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Kenosha Homecoming 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 67>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2013 at 1:53am
I would love to do an Roadtrip from the Eastcoast to Kenosha and back....

Sounds like a stupid Idea to put a Javelin in a Container and drive it home... and back again

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2013 at 5:44am
On a side topic, I attended GAD a few years ago where they gave out nametags with your forum name and your given name.  It was great to be able to put a name, to a name, to a face.  I was so impressed I'm planning on making one for Kenosha.  Can't hurt! Big smile
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2013 at 4:16pm
I have the template for those. I still have mine, leave it on my dash so it can be seen in the windshield all the time, anywhere the car is!

The Homecoming is definitely worth the trip, though I may have to pass. My club (Carolina AMC) is hosting the AMO National that year, so I have to help with that! Depends on finances...
Frank Swygert
AMC instigator View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC instigator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2013 at 9:07am
Hey Tony, as best as I have been able to figure numbers for all the trips I have been on towing, and then again taking the same trip not towing but rather driving a AMX or Concord,  it seems ten hours of actual travel time in a car, will add 30 min more to the trip towing. Even if you exaggerated the numbers to 1 hrs per ten, it shouldn't be too bad off. It will be worth your trip for sure. You will have 4 years to recover from the drive before it happens again. Kenosha is the largest AMC gathering whenever it happens. Always a GREAT time! Shannon
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2013 at 11:11am
I LOVE driving....it's the time off work and the cost of the trip that I would have a hard time with. I wouldn't want to tow my car that distance on an open trailer. It would be VERY dirty, would be vulnerable to damage and parking at night would be difficult. This means I will neeeeeeeeeeeed (lol) an enclosed trailer and a new tow vehicle!

Edited by amxdreamer - Feb/16/2013 at 11:13am
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2013 at 12:33pm
Depends on how fast you're comfortable towing (or your rig is capable of!). Some will tow at 70-75 with no problems, others would drive that fast but slow to 55-60 for towing. 5 hours @ 75 = 375 miles, 5 hours @ 55 = 275. Almost two hours to cover 100 miles @ 55, so figure nearly two hours longer, towing at 65 about an hour more.
Frank Swygert
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2013 at 12:41pm
I like to drive my car whenever I can and have taken shorter trips but I trailer to any of the longer distance shows.   The benefit for me is that the car only gets 8-9 MPG and I get 10 or a little better towing the enclosed trailer and I have a garage for the car when I get there!    I also vend parts so I can take a lot more with me.....

Chuck Page   
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2013 at 1:00pm
Since my wagon was a total basket case I flew in two times and shipped parts back since they wouldn't fit on in the plane. 

Last year 2011 I drove my van and loaded the T & C to the brim with parts.  

For 2014 I will be driving in for this one with the Rambler which will be special because the old '64 will be 50 in 2014.

From my point of view this is an event that if you can't bring your car you should still get there because this is amazing long weekend.  There is enough of us that you can buddy up for the parade into downtown or the show field you can always find someone who has an extra lawn chair.

Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2013 at 8:47am
I don't know if I can, but I'm going to try to drive up... have to start saving pennies now! 
Frank Swygert
AMC instigator View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC instigator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2013 at 10:02am
I agree that it would take longer to tow, if folks drove slower, but I know Tony will motor right along.  I also agree it will be dirty as you end up driving in different weather, it always works that way for me. Leaving an AMC in the motel parking over night is ver normal in Kenosha, while I can understand your worries, folks are up till all hours of the night, and the others are early risers. Seems there is always sombody AMC roaming around. I understand on the time off work and the costs. If towing is a major thing for anyone as was said, car or no car fly or drive, whatever you end up doing, you will be sure to have the time of your life! If you need rides down town for cruises or the parade, many folks have an empty seat and are plenty happy to accomodate. SH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 67>
  Share Topic