TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Steering wheels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 8:01am
Originally posted by AMX North AMX North wrote:

I would not be surprised if the rim blow was replaced early in the cars life . I really don`t like the rim blow as I find it very easy to blow the horn by accident and I would imagine it would be worse on a car with standard steering . If my car was a daily driver the rim blow would be hanging on the wall Wink

When I first got my '70 AMX with quick ratio manual (i.e. fairly heavy steering), I was honking that crazy horn all the time! You do learn to grip the rim-blo differently! Obviously, it wasn't the best automotive invention ever.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 8:45am
I can remember trying to park a manual steering Mach I in a downtown parking lot. What a pain in the butt with the horn going off constantly. 
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
0069X View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0069X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 4:05pm
As mentioned, not ALL Javelins came from the factory with a rim blow steering wheel in 1970. We had a 70 Javelin "parts car" that was t-boned 6 months after it was purchased new, we picked it up about the time the 71 models came out and it had all the original parts intact.
It had the same steering wheel that was on a Hornet.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 4:09pm
This is the standard wheel for a 1970 Javelin.

1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 4:46pm
Yep. Base Javelin got that wheel. SSTs got the rim-blo.
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

I would not be so quick to say that. Both of my 70 Javelins are SST's 1 had a different wheel when I got it (drag car) but the other (street car) did not have a rim blow it came with this.

Because my wheel was so bad it could not fixed I went with a late Jeep wheel it bolted right on but to add the Javelin touch I removed the Jeep center and added the Javelin one.
Dave ---- 
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

At the risk of repeating myself, this is the way they came in 1970. The rim-blo was standard on the Javelin SST and the AMX.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2012 at 9:08am
Ramblinrev,

I won't argue that the "correct" wheel for the 1970 SST was a rim blow. You are of course correct. I just have to say, be careful about being too dogmatic about it. I have seen many exceptions to the various rules when it comes to equipment on new AMC's. Look at the radiator threads and what came with a HD cooling set up for example. 

I know of one 1970 Javelin SST that seems to have been definitely equipped with a standard wheel. Funnily enough, it is a loaded, leather interior, air con, etc version with every appearance option known to man. Of all the cars that I would have expected to have a rim blow, this would be the one! I also have some anecdotal evidence of several other SST's that came without the rim blow, though I can not definitely document them. 

I wonder if the supply of them was not great back in the day and therefore they did not always get the wheel. It would be an easy swap later if someone complained and frankly most buyers would not likely care. 

Just my thoughts!

Chris 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2012 at 9:29pm
Chris:

40+ years after these cars were driven out of the factory, nobody knows exactly how every last one of them came off the line. Some suggest that AMC and other manufacturers threw cars together when need be to get them out the door. While that may have happened on rare occasions, it's not something that's well-documented, and so in my mind the 'default' position is that the cars were equipped as AMC stated and planned, and lots of minor or major modifications could have been made to these cars as they passed through various owner's hands over the years-which explains most of the variations we see out there today.

I can definitely picture a scenario where someone with a new '70 Javelin SST or '70 AMX decided that they hated that rim-blo wheel, and had it switched early in the life of the car. I also have a Technical Service Bulletin noting that AMC had some quality problems with the plastics of those wheels early in the model year, indicating that some would be replaced with new as stock became available. Could the factory have put some standard wheels on SST's or AMX's during that brief time frame? Certainly. 

For the record, though, documentation is what counts.

(And I'll try to be a bit less dogmatic in the future!) Thanks for your comments.

Paul
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2012 at 9:58pm
Paul what was the wheel in my post from as I dont thik it was changed and was not a rim blow and is a SST car?  Being a March 1970 could it be a 1969 wheel center? Would like to know is all.
Thanks
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic