TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Playmate AMX restoration begins..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
UNFORD View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UNFORD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

Great project!,

What kind of wieght is the ac unit with fan and all? Thinking of removing mine and if its only 20 lbs I may just leave it.

Hmm, will have to weigh the unit the next time I am over to the storage unit. It's a lot of work to remove it, you might want to live with the extra weight..

Edited by UNFORD - Jun/19/2012 at 12:38pm
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

UNFORD View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UNFORD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

The first time I ever saw that car in person it was (brand new) on it's way to the Playboy Club on Sunset Bl. The last time I saw that car in person it was about 5 miles from my house sitting on the little used car lot in (Marina Del Rey) that was selling it for the former owner. Big smile 

Should be a nice project! Wink

Dennis

It was a Wednesday I bought it. I think I came in a few hours after you saw it.

I work in Century City, not too far from you. I'd like to stop by after work some day and see your latest project, an AMX I think..

Edited by UNFORD - Jun/19/2012 at 12:30pm
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

UNFORD View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UNFORD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by huddy1955 huddy1955 wrote:

How long ago was it painted black? That pink is a beautiful pink. Beats me why someone would change that color.

The simple answer is that the pink car attracted too much attention to each Playmate. Guys would follow them home, or cops would pull them over for an autograph.

Playboy has given a car to every PMOY since 1964. The first 12 were pink (11 cars and one boat), but Playboy stopped the pink cars because all Playmates were re-painting them anyway, why not let the PM choose her own color, right?

The story I have heard is that the Playmate AMX has been painted four times. Pink at the factory, brown soon after to hide the pink, grey or silver a few years later (probably fixed from an accident) and then black in the mid-80's. She did a topless photo for Playboy in 1984 and used the money to fix the car up one last time and paint it black

What I'm amazed about is that people actually ask if I'm going to repaint it pink like original? Duh!  :)

Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

UNFORD View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UNFORD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

There is a joke here somewhere about her needing a restoration, too, right?

Glad to see the project moving forward! Will be great to see!

Ya, well her orange prison garb doesn't do her much justice. For those who don't know the whole story, two months after I bought the car she shot her husband at home, spent a year in county jail, then early 2012 plead no contest. So it's off to prison for 9 years, but she'll probably get out after 5 or 6 for time already spent and good behavior.

Ya, I've already heard the comment that the car should be ready to pick her from from prison the day she walks out free. That might make the news that night on local channels..

She turns 68 on September 26..

Edited by UNFORD - Jun/19/2012 at 2:16pm
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 12:49pm
Then....(the clean picture)

Now....
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 2:01pm
No problem Mark, I'm just up the hill in Westchester near LAX. Just let me know when you want to come by. I'm usually there all day Saturday and Sunday (until the AMX is done anyway) LOL. If a weekday (after we both get off work) works better that if fine too, just let me know.

Dennis

Edited by THE MENACE - Jun/19/2012 at 2:01pm
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 7:54pm
Looking good Mark, you have a great team helping you up there in LA. Keep the pics coming buddy.
Tom
I love The AMC forum!

http://www.amx390.com

sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 8:06pm
OMG....getting old sucks!!.....that only proves that beauty is only skin deep!!!

Chuck Page
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

Zioamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zioamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Then....(the clean picture)

Now....
you just wrecked my day LOL
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 11:05pm
I've got that Playboy issue signed by her back when......
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
  Share Topic