TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

401 Carb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
STGKlopp View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STGKlopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 401 Carb
    Posted: Jun/09/2012 at 11:37am
Growing up in the snow of Wisconsin I learned very early steering with the rear end.  With this Javelin it sure is a blast "occasionally" gettin loose.  As for the Carb I'm going to start with the vacuum secondary 750, I'll get the 50cc accelerator pump kit and go from there.  I'll play around with jets and Discharge nozzles.  If I don't think that's enough I'll go to the double pumper.  I think the modular design of the Holley is going to make it easy to tune for the application.
17tamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17tamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2012 at 12:14pm
Learn to steer with the rear end. It will add a smile to your face almost as fast as a naked pretty woman.
Kirk P. Fletcher
70 AMX BBG w/Shadow 390 4sp
71 SC360 Wild Plum Ram Air 4sp
67 Rogue Convert 343 4sp
66 Rogue Hardtop 290 Auto
66 440 Convert 232 Auto
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2012 at 7:38am
Originally posted by 17tamx 17tamx wrote:

How about using the Edelbrock AirGap with their AVS 800 cfm carb? They are made for each other and will work great with your cam and 3.54 gears. Since your red line is going to be 6,500 rpm for a street car your rpm range is going to be between 1,500 and 6,500 rpm with your peak torque around 5,400 rpm. Torque is what makes a car really dance on the street and the AirGap/AVS 800 will make more power than your tires are going to know what to do with. I am running this combo on my 70 390 AMX and I love it. I gasket matched the intake to the heads and I am running the AVS carb right out of the box with just the normal external adjustments. I bought the one with the electric choke and I am using one of the stock choke covers off of one of my old AMC Carter AFB'.

I have the Eddy 800 AVS on the SC/Rumbler sitting on a Torker with pretty heavily street/strip ported big chamber heads using SpeedPro forged pistons and the 8601 cam big tube ceramic coated headers. The car literally has too much power to the point that I always have to be careful so as to not have it always going sideways in the first three gears.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
17tamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17tamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 11:05pm
How about using the Edelbrock AirGap with their AVS 800 cfm carb? They are made for each other and will work great with your cam and 3.54 gears. Since your red line is going to be 6,500 rpm for a street car your rpm range is going to be between 1,500 and 6,500 rpm with your peak torque around 5,400 rpm. Torque is what makes a car really dance on the street and the AirGap/AVS 800 will make more power than your tires are going to know what to do with. I am running this combo on my 70 390 AMX and I love it. I gasket matched the intake to the heads and I am running the AVS carb right out of the box with just the normal external adjustments. I bought the one with the electric choke and I am using one of the stock choke covers off of one of my old AMC Carter AFB'.
Kirk P. Fletcher
70 AMX BBG w/Shadow 390 4sp
71 SC360 Wild Plum Ram Air 4sp
67 Rogue Convert 343 4sp
66 Rogue Hardtop 290 Auto
66 440 Convert 232 Auto
STGKlopp View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STGKlopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 2:14pm
Good call.  I guess I was just wondering what people are using on AMC engines.  
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 2:02pm
why not ask Lunati what they think you should use?
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
STGKlopp View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STGKlopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 1:14pm
I wont be in the highway a lot but I do want to keep it reasonable.  I want to be able to drive it to shows and might travel a bit to get there.  How do  you like the Torker?  I'm looking at the Torker II myself.  The cam on my list is a Lunati Voodoo Hydraulic flat tappet.  (234/242 @.050, .547/.569 lift)  I'm trying to find the right Carb for the combo.
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by STGKlopp STGKlopp wrote:

I've also read that the carbs without chokes are dangerous and like to backfire.  Anyone had that happen or heard of that?

that's not true I have a 850 speed demon that I put on when I go to the track and a holley HP750 that i use on the street and neither 1 of them have the choke set up on them the tops of the carbs are all milled nice and smooth I drive my car in the winter months and have no problem starting it with no choke. If the timing is right it shouldn't backfire at all
Josh View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 12:40pm
They're not the best highway gear. I don't do a lot of highway driving with the Rambler but the few times I did I could hang with the slower traffic and keep the RPMs reasonable. I'd stay with the 3:55's if you're going to be on the highway a lot.
‘66 Marlin, 327/M10
‘70 Rebel Machine, 390/M12
‘74 Javelin AMX, 401/727
‘80 Concord DL, 258/904
‘98 Cherokee, 4.0/AW4
STGKlopp View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STGKlopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 8:10am
I've also read that the carbs without chokes are dangerous and like to backfire.  Anyone had that happen or heard of that?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic