TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Disc Brake Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick71silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disc Brake Problem
    Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 7:49pm
I have worn rotors on my 71 amx and someone who owned it prior to me plugged the bleeder valve hole with something.  I have looked at aftermarket brakes but I'm not sure where to go.  Wilwood brakes are everywhere online but they require 15" rims and I have 14's.  There is also aerospace but I don't know if they're street legal and if they are are they temperamental brakes?  Could I find new rotors and just drill out, flush out the chips, and tap the larger hole?  
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 8:07pm
Rotors should be available and there is no reason you can fix the issue with your bleeders.   That will keep the car original and probably save you several hundred dollars too.....just my 2 cents....

Chuck Page
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 8:34pm
Bleeders plug up over time with no dust covers, just ream it out by hand, with an appropriate size drill bit, spray it clean, put back in.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by quick71silver quick71silver wrote:

I have worn rotors on my 71 amx and someone who owned it prior to me plugged the bleeder valve hole with something.  I have looked at aftermarket brakes but I'm not sure where to go.  Wilwood brakes are everywhere online but they require 15" rims and I have 14's.  There is also aerospace but I don't know if they're street legal and if they are are they temperamental brakes?  Could I find new rotors and just drill out, flush out the chips, and tap the larger hole?  
Not trying to push your decision one way or the other but Wilwood does not "require" 15" rims. The real issue is they may not fit "all" 14" rims. I am using 14" 50 series from Wheel Vintiques on my Hornet and the fit is just fine with the Wilwoods. You would have to measure your rims and check with Wilwood on the fitment. I love the Wilwood discs. I had the Bendix single piston discs before and the clunk the the floating calipers made on bumps drove me crazy.

Edited by pit crew - Jun/04/2012 at 9:54pm

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2012 at 1:25pm
Steel 24" wheels should fit with no problems with the Wilwood setup. Cast 14" wheels are a different story. Some are cast a lot thicker than others.

You can get rebuilt calipers for your car for around $30 each, but you'd still have to replace the rather expensive rotors. Aerospace makes a drag setup with solid rotors and a vented rotor system. The vented rotor system is about the same performance wise as the Wilwood.

You could also use a Scarebird setup. They are made to swap from drum brakes, but will work with the disc spindle now that it sits on top of the spindle. You might need to remove the original disc bracket and use some grade 8 washers to space it out or turn the bracket so that it doesn't interfere with the new calipers.
Frank Swygert
quick71silver View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick71silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2012 at 11:03pm
Thanks for the input.  Right now I have the 14" steel 8 slot rims with the volcano centers.
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2012 at 5:45am

I've just given up on the Bendix 4 pistion set up on my 69 Javelin and ordered the Wilwood set-up.   I've only just trialed fitted one side as yet but the quality and fitment of them is very impressive.  In short I would recommend them too anyone thinking about an up-grade.  I'm running 14" steel rims and have about 7/16" clearance.  Wilwood have made an awesome set-up and for the $ they're cheap.  I got mine from Southwest Speed and even with postage to New Zealand, exchange rate etc, they are well worth it!  Well done Wilwood!!!  Bloody awesome!

quick71silver View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick71silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 7:41pm
So what is supposed to be on a 71 amx bendix, cardone?
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Steel 24" wheels should fit with no problems with the Wilwood setup.
But you may have problems else where.Shocked
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by quick71silver quick71silver wrote:

So what is supposed to be on a 71 amx bendix, cardone?

'71s didn't come with Bendix disc brakes. They came with Kelsey-Hayes single piston calipers.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic